• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Giga 2.2 coming

Share/Bookmark

Giga 2.2 coming

It\'s not available yet, but I\'m sure a lot of you have caught wind of Giga 2.2, which looks very good. I\'ll leave it at that, but I did want to relay that things seem to be coming along well. Nemesys has been very responsive of late - I\'m real impressed with the support, and I think it\'s a good time to be a Giga owner.

The is/was a bug relating to sound files in at least 2.1.36, where a legal .gig file would cause a MSG32 error, upon load or upon unload. Only on certain files and certain cases. It\'s rare, probably .05% of files, maybe, if that, but it happens. The bug is in the version 2 info, so this doesn\'t apply to Gigasampler, just GigaStudio.

If you own Translator or other conversion software, and are getting this error, give us an e-mail - we can can diagnose this for you and help in some way.

------------------
    Garth Hjelte
    Chicken Systems Customer Support
    Home of \"Translator\"

Re: Giga 2.2 coming

Any details on improvements you\'ve heard about with new giga? I hope there is a better 24bit capture, my older version crashes and have been unable to successfully download the update from site, something wrong with my server provider perhaps. Is there word on when the new giga might be released? Will it be a full package update, or a small download update from their site? I love my giga! I saw Hans Zimmer using it recently. Great sounds. Wish I could solve my 24bit capture though, I get 16bit fine. It\'s frustrating not being able to download the latest update. Thanks for the info!

I know there was a list of features somewhere, but I forgot where.

It happened a little too fast, but I believe Giga got a little screening behind Hans last night on the Oscars. When they were going through the nominees for Best Score (Hans was nominated for Gladiator - he co-wrote it with Lisa Gerrard (sic) and I\'m surprised they didn\'t mentioned her), they showed a little film clip with him in the studio, and and behind him is the computer screen which sure did look like Giga. Went too fast, though.

Oh, he didn\'t win. \"Crouching Dragon, Hidden Tiger\" (whatever) won. I haven\'t heard CDHT, but I tell you Gladitor was an unbelievble soundtrack.

And I can\'t believe Bjork was even nominated for Best Song and that she even sang that song, and that Bob Dylan won for Best Song. Those were the worst songs I ever heard in my life. Bob probably won because all the baby boomers...

No flames, just my opinion.

------------------
    Garth Hjelte
    Chicken Systems Customer Support
    Home of \"Translator\"

Personally I was glad to see Dylan win, I mean after all he is probably the best song lyricists of our time IMO. Of course I grew up listening to the Grateful Dead, Crosby, Stills, and Nash, etc.
    I think it was nice to give respect to Dylan. I do agree that the song Bjork sang was horrible! I especially loved the giant stork outfit she had on and the comment Steve Martin made about leaving his stork outfit at home
    I thought Zimmer was gonna win, but Crouching Tiger is definitely a great score also.
    I don\'t understand the whole Lisa Gerrard thing. Why did they not mention her? I know at the Golden Globes, Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard both got mentioned and won. Zimmer did say when they both accepted the award that she \"didn\'t want to do the film\" and they cut to a shot of Ridley Scott, so I\'m thinking there might have been some weird tension between her and Ridley. I don\'t know though.

FYI - frpm the March Newsletter:

Some of the upcoming GigaStudio Version 2.2 feature improvements:
    Soon to be availalbe GigaStudio v.2.2 is a FREE update to all registered users of
    GigaStudio ( 96 and 160). To register visit http://www.nemesysmusic.com/registration.html

Improved Database functionality:

Increased performance in system-wide searching. Improvements in searching large disk drives have been measured to be 50 times faster.
    File type selection/filters are now supported.
    Directory selection/filters are now supported.
    Advanced progress meters.

Instrument/performance handling:
    Preserve assigned patch numbers in performances.
    Ability to free all unassigned instruments from memory.

DSP/Sampler engine:
    Velocity curve scaling - apply a programmable scale factor to any of the 15 existing
    velocity curves, giving effectively hundreds of additional velocity curves to choose from.
    External controller volume threshold feature, lets you assign a minimum threshold to the external volume attenuation controller (such as aftertouch, etc.). This is extremely
    useful for volume crescendo and expressive dynamics.
    Smoother dynamic filter response with external controllers, especially in the low
    filter cutoff frequencies, especially with relatively simple harmonic waveforms.
    Improved filter LFO response.
    Faster (more responsive) external control of filter resonance.

Single system performance:
    Customizable sequencer priorities: Increase the performance of a sequencer running on the
    same machine as the GigaStudio.

I was hoping for improvements to the effects. I\'ve just been trying Anwida Soft\'s chorus and phaser effects (in Cakewalk), and they absolutely leave the NFX effects for *dead*, in my opinion. I\'ve never been happy with the NFX reverbs, either.

Greg.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Damon:
    I thought Zimmer was gonna win, but Crouching Tiger is definitely a great score also. I don\'t understand the whole Lisa Gerrard thing. Why did they not mention her? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damon:
    Apparently in order to be considered eligible for an Oscar you have to have written at least 25% of the score, where as the Golden Globe doesn\'t have that as one of the criteria. As I understand it, it is a simple case of the amount of music that she wrote simply not adding up to the required 25%.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg Sullivan:
    I was hoping for improvements to the effects. I\'ve just been trying Anwida Soft\'s chorus and phaser effects (in Cakewalk), and they absolutely leave the NFX effects for *dead*, in my opinion. I\'ve never been happy with the NFX reverbs, either.

Greg.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    The NFX effects suck, plain and simple. Giga should supporst DXi effects.

Chance

Yeah I\'ll second that , the NFX are not very good sounding.
    I guess the main improvement that I would like to see with this new upgrade is the one that plauges almost all of us ,pops and clicks .
    I have tried everything but when squencing several tracks or just holding down the sustain pedal with playing giga piano I get pops and clicks .
    Its hard to get into the art of making music when your always listening for pops and clicks and if you hear them you have to redo the recording.

Kenn159

See the \"Temporary Solution for Pops and Clicks\" in the \"Hardware solutions\" section. (You might need to go to page 2). I\'d be interested to know if it works for you.

Robert Kral

Go Back to forum