• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO/VST Volume Control Glitch with SONOR

Share/Bookmark

GPO/VST Volume Control Glitch with SONOR

Though this topic has been touched several times in this forum, I think I found a not-mentioned glitch in the volume control in GPO VST Plug-in(1.0.2.008) with SONAR 2.2.

With #CC7/#CC10 option off,

(1) As the volume control on SONAR Console moves, the volume control on Kontakt Player moves (all the instances of the same Kontakt Player at once). But it does not change the actual volume of GPO sound.

(2) If I move the volume control on Kontakt Player, the loudness of the sound changes but the volume control on SONAR Console does not move.

(3) Even if I adjusted the loudness by the volume control on Kontakt Player, when I start the sequence the volume control on Kontakt Player goes back automatically to the former position.

Therefore, my strategy to cope with this situation is the following:

(1) Adjust the volume by the volume control of Kontakt Player.

(2) Move SONAR Console volume control to find the corresponding position watching the volume control of Kontakt Player moving.

(3) Lastly, touch the volume control of Kontakt Player once again at the right position to fix the real volume of GPO.

If I misunderstand anything on this topic or there is any easier solution, please let me know.

Thanks,

Re: GPO/VST Volume Control Glitch with SONOR

It not only happens in Sonor 2.2. It happend in Cubasis as well. But, I was unable to experience the same in Home Studio 2004XL. Interesting solution though. I\'ll have to try it.

It seems many people don\'t understand that you want to use midi to control everything, not the Kontakt interface. These controls are there for a convience in auditioning sounds, basically.

You just insert a cc#7 event at the begining of a track as your starting volume and use the modwheel (cc#1) for dynamic changes.

If more emphasis is needed for a particular track\'s instrument, you can then raise (or lower as the case maybe) the cc#7 level by drawing events in Sonar\'s controller window.

This is what I have always done even before GPO, and I\'ve used this method in ProAudio and Sonar. I\'m using 2.2XL (if it \'aint broke, don\'t fix it!), and this works fine for VST or DXi.

Thank you for your comments, Styxx and nexus:

>It seems many people don\'t understand that you want to use midi to control everything, not the Kontakt interface. These controls are there for a convience in auditioning sounds, basically.

You should be right.

I myself usually use a set-up bar at the beginning of sequence with a lot of cc\'s and sysex when using DTM synths like Roland SC-88.

As I started to use GPO, I thought there must be smarter way to control the track volume.

Anyway, the phenomenon that the volume control of GPO moves automatically in conjunction with the volume control of SONAR track window but the real loudness does not follow such change is not very much intuitive and I think it needs fix.

Question: When you suggest to use cc#7, should I turn on the CC#7 & CC#10 option in the option window of GOP naturally?

Sincerely,

If you\'d very much like to use volume controls, you can set the CC#7/CC#11 option on. The GPO player will receive your volume signals even if this option is off, but as you saw/heard the player won\'t actually change the playback volume when the option is off.

I\'d recommend keeping the option off, and using only mod wheel for expression. Tom, who programmed GPO, carefully set all the default volumes to be at what he felt were very good relative levels. This makes it very easy to just start playing and not worry about relative volumes, but if you want to specifically set the relative volumes the way you want, you can turn on the CC7/CC10 option and set the volumes in your sequencer tracks. Don\'t set volumes in the GPO player user interface though, since anything you do in the GPO player interface can never be saved for when you later load your song. Set volumes in the sequencer. The same thing applies for mod wheel - definitely always set it in your sequencer and not in the GPO interface.

Mr. Hurchalla:

Thank you very much for your kind advices.

>If you\'d very much like to use volume controls, you can set the CC#7/CC#11 option on. The GPO player will receive your volume signals even if this option is off, but as you saw/heard the player won\'t actually change the playback volume when the option is off.

Yes. I would like to adjust the volume because I wish to use GPO with other sound sources. It is very good to know the specification that even if the volume knob of KONTAKT PLAYER reacts to cc#7, the actual volume does not change when CC#7/CC#11 option is off. This point was confusing at the first time.

>if you want to specifically set the relative volumes the way you want, you can turn on the CC7/CC10 option and set the volumes in your sequencer tracks.

Thank you for the advice. I sure will do as you suggested.

I certainly understand that, if I use GPO only to reproduce the orchestral sound, there should be no need to touch the volume. But when using it with other sound sources, volume control becomes necessary because, I understand, CC#1 will change not only the volume but also the sound color of each instrument.

>Don\'t set volumes in the GPO player user interface though, ...

This explanation clarified my question about the volume control. I will try it with the CC#7/CC#11 control option on.

Sincerely,

A self response:

I think I figured out.

With CC#7/CC#10 option on, the track volume of SONAR and GPO volume (actual loudness of sound) perfectly function together except that:

If I use more than one channel/instrument, the volume knob of KONTAKT PLAYER behaves strange. When I change the volume of channel 1 with the track volume, even if KONTAKT PLAYER displays channel 2\'s instrument, the volume knob moves simultaneously. This does not cause any harm to actual loudness of the sound of channel 2 but misleading. Also, when I play the sequence, the volume knob of KONTAKT PLAYER sometimes moves to the position specified by a different MIDI channel with the track volume of SONAR.

As a conclusion, if you wish to use volume control, turn CC#7/CC#10 option on, and never be misled by the indication of the volume knob of KONTAKT PLAYER.

Thanks for all your help.

Sincerely,

Go Back to forum