• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Clarinet Bug?

Share/Bookmark

GPO Clarinet Bug?

Has anyone noticed a slight \'bug\' with the GPO clarinet? The F below middle C has a very prominent overtone of the 12th. I noticed it when I was using 2 clarinets (ensemble 1) the first playing the F below middle C, the second the D flat above middle C. It sounded like a D flat major seventh! I rewrote the part to get round it, but I would appreciate it if anyone else could confirm this.

Cheers

Mike Gill

Re: GPO Clarinet Bug?

Originally posted by Mike Gill:
    Has anyone noticed a slight \'bug\' with the GPO clarinet? The F below middle C has a very prominent overtone of the 12th.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Mike,

I can confirm it. It seems like the lowest 4 notes of \"BB CLARINET ENS1\" are all brighter than the notes just above it. Part of the timbre difference is that powerful 12th.

If you really like the \"BB CLARINET ENS1\" sound (but not the lowest notes), you can set up the KONTAKT player to use the lower 4 notes of one of the other 2 ENS clarinets.

See the post by Tom Hopkins in the following topic of this forum on how to piece together the ranges of several instruments in the Kontakt Player:

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=001456#000000

I\'ve used this technique before. I use Bassoon 1 Solo and add the additional high notes of Bassoon 2 Solo. Also, I like the Classical Oboe and I add the low Bb of one of the other Oboes.

Adam,
    Thanks for the confirmation and other pointers. I\'ve \'frigged\' the top range of the cello using this method so I can do the same for the clarinet.

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

I took a look (listen) at this tonight and found that I could modify the lowest notes of the Bb Clarinet Ens1 to lessen the upper overtone. The change will be included in the next update. I should note however that the clarinet has some naturally occurring strong overtones on most notes, but especially the lower ones. This is faithful to the sound of the instrument in the original sessions.

Tom

Great, thanks Tom.

Seriously. I thought I was hearing things or my sound card was reproducing it or something in the studio was sounding. After reading your post I went back and confirmed it.
    Thanks for the info!

Sadly, this is the problem with close mic\'d instrument samples (GPO is certainly not alone here!). One hears overtones and other odd noises that don\'t occur out in the concert hall. It would be great if GPO had more ambient samples done, but this too creates it\'s own set of problems, requiring expensive recording locale and equipment both of which add up to more expensive libraries.

Short of hiring Keith Johnson and spending a huge bundle on production, Gary has taken the benefical approach of keeping GPO reasonably priced and making very good recordings for a close-mic situation.

I\'m afraid we\'ll all just have to accept the few minor flaws as a fact of life and push through with techniques like those outlined by Tom in another thread.

Btw, I simply eq\'d the clarinet when I ran into this myself. no biggie.

Originally posted by nexus:
    ...Btw, I simply eq\'d the clarinet when I ran into this myself. no biggie.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">nexus,

I\'ve noticed the term showing up every now and then, mentioned by people who are improving the quality of their recordings. Could you explain what you mean by EQ\'d? Could you give a little example?

Afterall, since I see it on the Garritan Ambience tool controlling 2 frequencies, I wish I knew what to do with it. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

EQ is audio shorthand for \"equalizer\", roughly meaning to apply audio filters to the sound. You\'ve done this before -- if you are in your car and have the windows down you boost the bass and treble in order to hear them over the noise (while the midtones are generally find in that situation).

Most sequencers allow you to put EQ on the audio output in some form or another (note you can\'t really EQ midi data itself, which is a digital absolute).

Originally posted by Adam Burford:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by nexus:
    ...Btw, I simply eq\'d the clarinet when I ran into this myself. no biggie.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">nexus,

I\'ve noticed the term showing up every now and then, mentioned by people who are improving the quality of their recordings. Could you explain what you mean by EQ\'d? Could you give a little example?

Afterall, since I see it on the Garritan Ambience tool controlling 2 frequencies, I wish I knew what to do with it. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sure Adam.

\'eq\' as was pointed out above is short for Equalizer. There are many different types for different jobs (problems).

I use a terrific eq plugin by Voxengo (but there many great ones) so I can zero in on problem frequencies and overtone noises like the clarinet. The trick is not to get too carried away looking for perfection as it will alter the entire tone of an instrument.

I recorded the clarinet part where this problem occured in SONAR, then opened the track in Sound Forge and tweaked until it went away (nearly).

Go Back to forum