• Register
  • Help

Topic: multiple midichannels from one?

multiple midichannels from one?

First of all, this is not a question how to make all sounds in GPO respond to a single channel.. i know how to do thaaat [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I want to play instruments from different instances. Sometimes almost every instrument to make gigant BLAM. I use Cubase SE and it only has two midi sends (each can control another channel) and then you only can control three midichannels from one channel.
    Is there any other way to do this?

Wonder why i want to do this? i mean, why dont i just record a part and then copy it or rerecord it for every part?
    I improvise a lot and the next note i play is based on what i heard before (sounds familiar? i dont really know how others work). So.. If i hear some woods with brass and viola i will perhaps hit a C and if only a flute it will be an A.

By the way.. a little subquestion. Does anyone know a vsti softsynth that works good with classical sounds? I heard the CS80 (at least the original) should work good, but the knobs and buttons are to small for my big blue.. =)

Orcas Island

Re: multiple midichannels from one?

Crackbaby,,I\'m not sure if I understand the question. You want to play instruments from different instances. You can have different player VSTs by copying the VST dll and then renaming it. Is this what you mean?

Hehe.. no, not that [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Lets say i am the conductor (i think he\'s called that .. the one with the chopsticks [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ). I tell for example the flutes, the 2nd violins and the oboe to play G-D-A-Bb, all together. In sequenserlanguage: I play on my keyboard and i want a lot of sections to respond. Um, perhaps if i put it this way. Think of a padsound with multiple layers. I want to hit one key to trigger all the layers instead of for example first record a arpeggio, a noise+filter, a bassy sound, a stringsound and some sfx.

When i hit a key i want more than just eg. the 1st section to respond. I want 1st section, cellos and horns to respond. When i hit a key i want to hear all of those instruments, not just one of them.

In cubase SE (or sx) there are midi send effects. There i can choose for each send, a midi port and a channel.
    So, for the main midichannel i choose 1st instance of gpo witch is all the horns (all responding to midichannel 1). 1st midisend is set to the second instance where the trombones are loaded, and the third to trumpets. When i hit a key i will hear horns, trombones and trumpets.
    But is that enough for me? hehe.. nooo. I want to be able to play more instruments at once, perhaps the whole orchestra.
    First of all, this is for the improvissationthingie. Second.. I will learn a lot faster which instruments that goes well with each other.

Maybe no one knows what i mean yet, so here is the last try.... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Lets say i have some choirs. Eight tenors, 8 sopranos, 8 barrytone and 8 alto. Lets imagine that each of those 8 voices would be connected to .. uh .. GPV (garritan personal voices.. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] ). Now i want them all this sing when i hit ONE key. I dont want four midichannels for this, just one. (i will be using four channels for them as well, but i want a fifth that controls them all)

Peeeeewww [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Sounds like what you need is a midi thru device between your keyboard and your computer that takes 1 channel in and all channels out. (I don\'t know if such a device exists. Maybe there\'s a software, virtual, device that can do it.)

Alternatively, is there someway to temporarily enable all instruments to \"omni mode\", to accept incoming midi from all channels?

...or set the midi channel for multiple GPO slots to be the same as your keyboard is transmitting. I do this alot to layer organ stops...Prinzipal, Flutes and Haupt Mix all set to the same midi channel, for instance.

Go Back to forum