• Register
  • Help

Topic: Verisimilitude with GPO in Sonar

Share/Bookmark

Verisimilitude with GPO in Sonar

I just got GPO and have been trying to use it as a VST plugin in Sonar 3.0 Producer Edition. It \"works\" in the sense that I can get the thing to play, but what comes out frankly does not sound that realistic, or even much better than other sound libraries. Part of my problem is that the GPO manual is written for people using an actual keyboard, while I\'m editing a MIDI file produced by Sibelius.

I\'d appreciate any help with two specific problems:

(1) For a piece with a solo wind instrument, there is basically no slurring -- each note is separately articulated. The manual explains how to use the sustain pedal to fix that, but I don\'t have a sustain pedal. What should I be doing?

(2) The string sections sound very bizarre. The main problem is that the notes \"turn on\" much too slowly, so that it sounds almost like a note being played backwards. For notes that aren\'t sustained very long, the notes sound a lot more like a cheap electronic violin than a real violin. The weird part is that when I use the Kontakt player keyboard to test the volume, the notes sound much nicer than when Sonar plays them. Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to make the violins sound more like violins?

TIA.

Richard Schultz

Re: Verisimilitude with GPO in Sonar

Richard,

“Part of my problem is that the GPO manual is written for people using an actual keyboard, while I\'m editing a MIDI file produced by Sibelius.”

The key to getting realistic performance out of GPO is understanding how to apply the expressive tools in the library to your MIDI file. Keep in mind that the library was not primarily designed to playback MIDI files, it was designed to allow the user to actually play individual parts from a keyboard (or other controller) with expression. You can still get realistic results in your situation but it requires more work on your part in the absence of a keyboard. The fact that you are not using a keyboard controller to enter your note data doesn’t change the fact that you must, somehow, get the various controller data into your tracks to make things work. In Sonar this means “drawing” the data into the tracks. This includes continuous shaping of the notes with mod wheel data, use of velocity data for attack strength, the application of sustain pedal data for legato mode, and, to a lesser extent, the use of portamento data and VAR control data for variability when needed.

“(1) For a piece with a solo wind instrument, there is basically no slurring -- each note is separately articulated. The manual explains how to use the sustain pedal to fix that, but I don\'t have a sustain pedal. What should I be doing?”

Draw the data directly into the tracks (see the Sonar manual if you have questions about how to do this). Here are the controllers:

Mod Wheel – cc#1 (“0” to “127” values) Higher values are louder. This is not a “set and forget” control. This data is intended to shape the dynamic changes in your lines – it’s almost always in motion. Until you raise the mod wheel data level your instruments will be playing at their very quietest levels.

Velocity – (“0” to “127” values) Higher values give stronger attacks. This is independent of mod wheel volume.

Sustain pedal – cc#64 (“0” is off, “127” is on) Legato mode for strings, tongue/slur for winds.

Portamento – cc#20 (“0” to “127”) apply to specific transitions, where needed. Higher values create more prominent slides.

VAR1 – cc#22 (“0” to “127”) apply to runs or repetitive passages that suffer from the “machine gun” effect. Higher values cause greater random intonational variations from note to note. Use with care.

VAR2 – presently unavailable

“(2) The string sections sound very bizarre. The main problem is that the notes \"turn on\" much too slowly, so that it sounds almost like a note being played backwards. For notes that aren\'t sustained very long, the notes sound a lot more like a cheap electronic violin than a real violin. The weird part is that when I use the Kontakt player keyboard to test the volume, the notes sound much nicer than when Sonar plays them. Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to make the violins sound more like violins?”

Once again, you are at a disadvantage without a keyboard. A keyboard gives you intuitive, fingertip control over velocity, and velocity controls the attacks for notes of any length. In your present situation you will need to bring the velocity data for each note up to an appropriate level to get the attacks you desire. The notes sound much “nicer” when you play the keyboard graphic in the player because the samples are being triggered internally at a higher velocity level when you do that. This would all be very clear to you if you tried playing the string instruments from a keyboard and felt the controllers in action. Things like playing a line with the right hand while you crescendo using the mod wheel in your left hand, or accenting certain notes in a passage by striking the keys harder for the accents, or stepping on the sustain pedal to smooth the movement between certain notes – all very intuitive functions. You can still get similar results by entering this data in your sequencer, it’s just a lot more work to enter it manually with your mouse and get musical results.

Tom

Tom\'s right.
    You are at a disadvantage.
    You can get a decent control keyboard from $109 to as high as you please and realize the dream!

Yes and even someone with no talent like myself can play one <g>.

(I\'m sorry -- I can\'t help smiling like an idiot now that I have mod wheel control thanks to Markleford and Dan).

Just want to emphasize the wonderfulness of having a keyboard with at least a modwheel, pitch wheel, and maybe one or two assignable sliders. Really, really, REALLY, useful stuff! I can\'t imagine doing any of my music without it (especially the modwheel action in GPO.. soooo good!)

- Junk

Go Back to forum