• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: NEW GPO PIECE: November.mp3

Share/Bookmark

NEW GPO PIECE: November.mp3

Hey guys,

I know it\'s been a while since I posted my last piece, but I have to program all this stuff in via mouse, I\'m saving up for a Radium as we speak...

http://www.fallofautumn.com/NovemberGPO.mp3

This is a sequal to the first GPO user demo I did, October, logically, this piece is entitled November.

I wanted to write a piece that was a little more intimate than October, but as melodic. I have never had any formal music training so please go easy on the composition.

Thanks for the listen...

BTW, for those that are interested:
    MIDI: http://www.fallofautumn.com/NovemberGPO.mid
    CUBASE SX 2.0.1: http://www.fallofautumn.com/NovemberGPO.cpr

P.S. Thank-you Tom for your crash-course in the playability and dynamics of wind/breath controlled instruments, I learned more in an hour on the phone with you than I did from days with my head stuck in a text book. I guess a little experience is worth a thousand chapters

Re: NEW GPO PIECE: November.mp3

Absolutely haunting and beautiful at the same time. Very classical and well composed.

I would create more of finale instead of fading away as you did.

Great work, Alan.

This song has really gone through some changes from the conceptual phase! Just from listening to it through my crappy computer speakers at work, I think its very well done. I\'ll have to listen again when I get home. Once again, great job Alan.

Yeah! Nice! I agree with Bela it is haunting and beautiful. I can hear a little choral voices hidden somewhere in the background. No?

Originally posted by Alan Lastufka:

I know it\'s been a while since I posted my last piece, but I have to program all this stuff in via mouse, I\'m saving up for a Radium as we speak...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">So, how\'s your pointing finger now? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Very nice melody you\'ve got there! I also like the clarity and simplicity of the orchestration and yet the impact is big time!

Thanks guys,

Yes Joesph, this track has gone thru a couple of different stages, but I am finally happy with this one.

My goal now is realism. Do you guys hear anything (probably a lot of things) that give away that this is not a real performance?

I sat down over the last four nights going over every part solo\'ed trying to edit and capture a real performance from the Personal Orchestra.

If there is anything you guys have suggestions on, I would really appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks in advance.

Alan,
    I love the song, thanks for posting this. As I have just made my few baby steps composing music, could I ask you to post the Cubase file in the older format (1.x), as I am unable to read it and would hate to pass up an opportunity to learn.

Thanks in advance!
    Dennis

Alan,

You\'ve come a long way and continue to get better with each composition. This is very beautiful. Like the interplay with the instruments. Very lyrical and expressive.

Keep up the great work!

Gary Garritan

PS: Can\'t wait for \"December\"

Thanks Gary, \"December\" is in the SUPER-rough sketching stage in my head as we speak.

PianoMan, I will be away from my DAW probably for the rest of the day (Saturday) but I will try to post an SX 1.0.6 version as early as possible tomorrow.

In the mean time, you could always open up the MIDI file in SX, it won\'t load the patches I used, but you should be able to see all the notes and programming just fine.

Thanks again to everyone who\'s listened. I recieved a PM about the dynamics, should I add some compression/plug-in effects, or do you guys prefer the natural sound of GPO?

Originally posted by PianoMan:

...could I ask you to post the Cubase file in the older format (1.x), as I am unable to read it and would hate to pass up an opportunity to learn....
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">SX 2 won\'t save out to SX 1 file format, so, what I did to please all is, I made a PDF that gives very detailed directions of how to take the MIDI file and recreate the sequencer file for it, including the exact GPO patches, panning and volumes I used for this piece.

The PDF can be d/l\'ed here: http://www.fallofautumn.com/NovemeberGPOinfo.pdf
    ANd the MIDI file here: http://www.fallofautumn.com/NovemeberGPO.mid

Hope that\'ll do what you need. Now anybody using any sequencer, be it, Cubase, Sonar, Logic, Digital Performer or Samplitude can recreate this file locally.

Go Back to forum