• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: No Sustain Pedal? New GPO tool: MFX Key Peddler!

Share/Bookmark

No Sustain Pedal? New GPO tool: MFX Key Peddler!

Neole asked on a thread here: \"What can be mapped to the sustain pedal to allow legato playing? [If I] could map the first C key to act as [the Hold Pedal], it would be good. Any way?\"

One way is through MFX, and I made it happen tonight! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (yes, it\'s Friday evening: I never claimed I had a social life! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

TenCrazy.com MFX Key Peddler allows you to use any key on your keyboard to act in place of a Hold Pedal in order to let you play legato lines in Garritan Personal Orchestra without a physical sustain pedal.

Key Peddler defaults to substituting your C6 key (base octave -2) for the sustain pedal (CC#64) to allow for legato playing. If you want to use a different key, use the slider to adjust it, or use the \"Learn\" button: click it and the next key you press will become your target key! Also, use the CC slider if you want to simulate a different pedal/toggle controller.

As with my other GPO-inspired plugin, MFX PW-Map, I\'m pushing this under my \"BeggingWare\" model. Essentially, if you like this plugin and can use it, drop Gary Garritan a line (or post in this thread!) and suggest that I\'m *such* a nice guy that I deserve a discount on GPO! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Shameless, I know, but what else am I gonna do with my time? [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Have fun, and give a holler if you like it, or even just have problems getting it to work. I\'m here to help.

- m

Re: No Sustain Pedal? New GPO tool: MFX Key Peddler!

Originally posted by Markleford:

As with my other GPO-inspired plugin, MFX PW-Map, I\'m pushing this under my \"BeggingWare\" model. Essentially, if you like this plugin and can use it, drop Gary Garritan a line (or post in this thread!) and suggest that I\'m *such* a nice guy that I deserve a discount on GPO! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Shameless, I know, but what else am I gonna do with my time? [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Have fun, and give a holler if you like it, or even just have problems getting it to work. I\'m here to help.

- m
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Okay, okay. Shameless you are [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] You get more than a discount. Email me at gary@harps,com (or call me).

Keep those shameless plug[in]s coming!

Thanks,

Gary Garritan

- m

Very helpful tools you are creating.

I have an alternative idea for the guys without mod wheels. Or pitch bend wheels.

How about mapping cc1 across a user selectable octave on the keyboard? Sure, the output cc1 curve would be only stepwise - you could include all keys, or only blacks, or only whites, whatever. But, at least the rough outline of a proper cc1 curve could be created easily? The tedious redraw with the mouse could follow at some later time, as needed.

Trond

Originally posted by dnortana:
    - m

Very helpful tools you are creating.

I have an alternative idea for the guys without mod wheels. Or pitch bend wheels.

How about mapping cc1 across a user selectable octave on the keyboard? Sure, the output cc1 curve would be only stepwise - you could include all keys, or only blacks, or only whites, whatever. But, at least the rough outline of a proper cc1 curve could be created easily? The tedious redraw with the mouse could follow at some later time, as needed.

Trond
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi

I was trying to do that a few days ago, but without success. Im using Cubase SE. Do you have any ideas on how to do it?

Originally posted by Garritan:
    Okay, okay. Shameless you are [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] You get more than a discount. Email me at gary@harps,com (or call me).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hooray and huzzah! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I guess I\'ll send you email, seeing as how it\'s the weekend and all: you can get to it when you feel like it.

Keep those shameless plug[in]s coming!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Definitely! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

How about mapping cc1 across a user selectable octave on the keyboard?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'d theorized something like this in another thread:

Otherwise, I *could* write an MFX to interpolate a key range on your keyboard (say, the top or bottom octave) into CC#1 messages. The low key would be 0 and the top would be 127. Pressing a key in between would change volume to a \"ratio\" of that scale. Moreover, the rate of the change in volume could be specified by the velocity of the key you hit: Velocity 127 would change to the new volume immediately, while velocity 16 would make the change gradually (de/crecendo).

The only issue here would be that you would need to run \"Apply MIDI effects\" on the selection instead of having it play back \"just in time\", as the MFX event model precludes a plugin from looking at events \"in the future\" of the given time slice of a buffered call.

Eh, but that doesn\'t have the feel of a real wheel or slider, unfortunately: would it be worth it?

Mind you, doing \"instant changes\" per key would be significantly easier, but it would represent a jump in volume, rather than a smooth transition. Not sure if this would sound to brutal at CC#1 intervals of ~+/-10 steps.

Of course, when I get my copy of GPO, I\'ll be able to determine for myself how the feel of such a model works out! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

- m

Thanks much for these!!

I have my little \'Prodikeys\' keyboard I can use now for quick entry of GPO (gee maybe that\'s a travesty?).

Anyway, THANKS!

Give this man a GPO!

Originally posted by nexus:
    Thanks much for these!!

I have my little \'Prodikeys\' keyboard I can use now for quick entry of GPO (gee maybe that\'s a travesty?).

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Nexus,

I was wondering how the Prodikeys keyboard works with GPO. Does the mod wheel on the prodikeys function well? This may be a nice solution for some whanting a modwheel/little keyboard/ computer keyboard all in one.

Gary Garritan

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">What you propose fits well in the event model and the UI of my plugin.
    I think I can provide something more than what you asked: a free mapping between any key and any controller event value on the keyboard. That means you could program a variable number of keys (not necessary an octave) to create your own response curve for CC1.

Just wait a few more days and you’ll get it.

Thanks,

Originally posted by Garritan:

I was wondering how the Prodikeys keyboard works with GPO. Does the mod wheel on the prodikeys function well? This may be a nice solution for some whanting a modwheel/little keyboard/ computer keyboard all in one.

Gary Garritan
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Gary,

The Prodikeys doesn\'t have a mod wheel -- it has a pitch bend wheel, though, and that works great with either of the two wonderful plugins these guys have developed.

It\'s one of three keyboards I have that don\'t have mod wheels, so I was very anxious to get this translation thing working. As a general rule I like using my standalone keyboards, but there are times it\'s so darn convenient to just reach down and start noodling with the keys below the keys, if that makes any sense.

Originally posted by Markleford:
    TenCrazy.com MFX Key Peddler allows you to use any key on your keyboard to act in place of a Hold Pedal in order to let you play legato lines in Garritan Personal Orchestra without a physical sustain pedal.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That figures... After I finally get a sustain pedal! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Of course, it\'s still preferable to have the sustain pedal so you can use both the pedal and the mod wheel together, but I imagine Markleford will come up with a workaround for that, eh? Or, you can just grow another arm. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum