• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GPO Add-On Suggestion: Avant-Garde Collection (updated & pic added!)

Share/Bookmark

GPO Add-On Suggestion: Avant-Garde Collection (updated & pic added!)

Garritan Personal Orchestra Add-On Request: Avant-Garde Collection

I have a suggestion for a new add-on package for once the Jazz add-on is complete. This package would suit all avant-garde and some mainstream musicians.

Instrument #1: A Virtual Turntable. BURKLEE COLLEGE OF MUSIC is now offering a turntable techniques class which teaches the art of the turntable as a musical instrument. (in fact, this class has the longest waiting list of any class offered at BURKLEE) There is even a turntable concerto being performed along side orchestras across the country. The VST would work like this: (patent-pending) The pitch-bend wheel would control the direction and speed of the scratching much like putting your finger on the album would. The mod wheel would work like the volume slider between the two sound sources you are scratching. The sound sources could be any .wav file contained on your PC, from a violin sample to a stereo wav mixdown of a full track.

Instrument #2: A Prepared Piano. I love the sounds of Cage and other prepared piano composers, most important (to me) the sound of the internal piano strings plucked with something like a guitar pick, including the ability to play glisses much like on the GPO harp. A prepared piano provides a very cool sound that can be useful in many dramatic circumstances.

Instrument #3: Human Whistle Soloist. Everyone loves to “whistle while they work”, but there are some who are VERY talented whistlers and they can produce some very cool sounds (listen to Rammstein’s “Engel” for a prime example of a lead whistling line). There is even a whistling competition for the best in the world.

Instrument #4: PVC Tubing Percussion. Much like what is used by the BLUE MAN GROUP and STOMP some less traditional percussive instruments would be fun. Trash cans, trash can lids, the PVC, plumbing pipes, lots of fun stuff.

Instrument #5: E-Bow\'ed Electric Guitar. The E-Bow is just a fancy magnet that makes the guitar string vibrate harder as its moved closer. Creates some very cool pad effects with the endless sustain of the guitar.

Instrument #6: Electric Violin. Has a very different tone from acoustic violins and to my knowledge really hasn\'t been sampled yet. Plus, it also plays nicer with guitar amps than the traditional violin.

Instrument #7: Brush Drum Kit. Only because I haven\'t seen this discussed in relation to the Jazz Expansion Pack, so I\'d like to see it here. Brush\'ed drums are my favorite.

Adding these instruments to my Personal Orchestra would be exciting. I know they sound a little off-the-wall, but might prove to be more useful and expanding in compositions than you may have originally thought. I hope my suggestions are taken seriously.

Do you guys have any modifications or additions to the list?

Re: GPO Add-On Suggestion: Avant-Garde Collection (updated & pic added!)

Alan,

I share your enthusiasm for new sounds. It seems like Garritan has got some sort of super power that they can make all these incredible sounds, and so cheaply. So it gets you thinking, well since they\'re so good at it, why not...

I like the Whistler! But that scratchy record! Well, ok why not, that would be fun. I never got used to the prepared piano sound, but I could go for a Toy Piano!

But my real wish list is not so much avant garde, but for those instruments that got chucked because they couldn\'t compete. I most want to hear a Keyed Bugle and Serpent. (Herrmann used one in The Journey to the Center of the Earth soundtrack.)

Another add-on concept for GPO: traditional or ethnic instruments such as accordion, bandoneon, duduk, ud, dulcimer and the like.

If you take the bandoneon for exemple, you could have a typical tango orchestra within GPO: strings, piano and bandoneon.

I think such instruments would have a place in GPO, it would widen the palette of sounds and allow different styles of music to be created.

Alan,

I like your idea about the Virtual Turntable (patent acknowledged). I caught the CBS Sunday Morning about Turntables at BERKLEE COLLEGE OF MUSIC. It seems that the turntable was one of the most popular courses at Berklee. I thought the Turnable Concerto with the symphony orchestra was interesting.

A sampled turntable? Sounds good to me. Perhaps we can extend the melodic range. Then if there are crackles and pops with the Player, that would blend and be a good thing [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

A turntable may also make an interesting MIDI controller.

Gary Garritan

Hey Ira - I\'ve got a nice theremin sample (Akai format) on my FTP site. E-mail me and I\'ll hook you up with a username and password.

tylerwbennett@hotmail.com

Ty

Originally posted by Alan Lastufka:
    Instrument #1: A Virtual Turntable.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Unfortunately this is *way* beyond the scope of a Kompakt-based player, particularly if you want to load your own .wav files. I suppose a small set of pre-selected samples could be programmed for generalized rhythm work, but nothing to the extent that real turntablists can accomplish.

Didn\'t Ryuichi Sakamoto write a piece for orchestra with a turntable part for DJ Spooky?

Instrument #2: A Prepared Piano.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Tasty! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Instrument #3: Human Whistle Soloist..
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Might be a bit tough to capture all the vibrato and portamento into the expression of the performance. But I suppose that\'s the difficulty with trying to capture almost any solo instrument, eh?

Could be handy for \"Spaghetti Western\" music. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Instrument #4: PVC Tubing Percussion.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Or any sort of \"garbage percussion\", really.

Say, I don\'t think GPO has any anvils, cannons, or bird-calls yet, now that I think about it... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Garritan:
    A turntable may also make an interesting MIDI controller.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I have one on my ancient Roland DJ-70. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Not that the MIDI data it transmits is of much use to any other program, being very cryptic in its algorithm. Definitely needs a MFX to translate it into something useful.

Originally posted by NDEE:
    Another add-on concept for GPO: traditional or ethnic instruments such as accordion, bandoneon, duduk, ud, dulcimer and the like.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I really liked the tango flavor the bandoneon gave to the 12 Monkeys score!

I\'ll always be behind a call for ethnic instruments: featuring even just one can instantly take an ensemble to foreign lands. Japanese koto and shamisen, Indian santur, Aussie didgeridoo, Chinese erhu...

At the very top of my list would be a full Balinese Gamelan ensemble, tuned both in Slendro and Pelog scales. Take a trip down to Eugene, Oregon, and visit your neighbors in Gamelan Sari Pandhawa: I imagine they\'d be willing! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

- m

For those of you interested in the Turntable concerto, you can read the article here: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/03/25/sunday/main608774.shtml

Also, check out DJ Radar\'s homepage here: http://www.concertoforturntable.com/cft/default.asp

Thanks Gary for taking a look at this even half seriously, I have a feeling most other developers would have dismissed these outright because they\'re not \"traditional\" instuments, that\'s very cool of you...

How about a Theremin and an Ondes Martenot?

Ira Kraemer

How about a scat singer? I was thinking about this while I was grilling hamburgers yesterday. Velocity switchable syllables. Think Mel Torme - in fact that might work for the Big Band release, but I wouldn\'t want it to delay the release. Fun thought?

Ty

^^check my first post for the updates^^

Go Back to forum