• Register
  • Help

Topic: My first GPO-GOS(lite) hybrid demo

Share/Bookmark

My first GPO-GOS(lite) hybrid demo

This is VERY premature, but here\'s a 2:18 snippet (now 3:44 as of 31Mar04) of the opening of my first GPO/GOS (only) piece -- \" Transitions - Orchestral Fantasy 2004-1 \".

This snippet is VERY preliminary (and I am still working out some technical/configuration problems with GPO with GG) but my intent in the eventually completed piece is to show off various elements of the orchestra (including the marvelous pipe organ) in a shortened \"concerto for orchestra\" manner -- bouncing from theme to theme in a sort of \"dance concerto\" (possibly to pitch to a ballet company) with enough recurring elements to hold the attention span of the listener/viewer.

I used the strings in GOS (LITE) in HALion and the sequencer is Cubase SX 2.0.1. (About a month before I decided to get GPO, I purchased the excellent GOS(LITE) package so I am more comfortable with those strings at present than the ones in GPO.)

I view honing my craft through a series of \"etudes\" such as this one. In adapting to various sample situations, I have produced a series of \"orchestral etudes\" and improvisational piano pieces that you can survey (if you wish) at my AcidPlanet \'Kaua`i Symphony Orquester\' page .

Be gentle -- it\'s my first exposure here! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

kev

[NOTE: You can send your comments directly by email from the \"Transitions\" page or post them for all in this thread. Thanks, in advance, for all constructive directions/criticism.]

Re: My first GPO-GOS(lite) hybrid demo

OVERLOOKED?

I posted this \"invite\" 3 or 4 days ago and no one has left any additional comments nor any feedback about the \"work in progress\". I guess posting my own response will cause it to pop to the top of the stack, at least.

??

kev

Kevin,

Very nice work. I like how it begins very strong and robust. The fade to the oboe melody is very convincing and well produced.

The \"dance\" section is very catchy. I have a few suggestions though. First maybe take the trumpet melody and pass it thorough the other members of the brass family. This would give you a sort of call and response idea and bring more attention to the melody. Of course, after I wrote that, I realize that the trumpets are harmonic rhythm and the melody is actually in the solo horn. Either way, it could still be passed aropund the ensemble.

Which brings me to my second point, the trumpets and the pizz strings seem to be a bit overbearing. I would suggest moving them back in the mix a little.

The next section after the dance, when the piano comes in is awesome. I reminds me of Danny Elfman\'s opening titles to Beetlejuice the animated series. Very cool. Always has been one of my favorites.

I like what you have done so far. Keep up the fantastic work. Please, let me know when you get more of this done. I would love to hear the rest.

Oh, one more thing. Are all of the tunes on your website done with GPO? Just wondering. Let me know if I can be of any assisstance.

Talk to you soon,
    Jonny

KevinKauai

You are off to a great start with GPO. It starts off majstic and I like how you switch moods throughout the piece. Once you get used to GPO strings I think you\'ll find it more versatile than with GOS Lite.

I like your Kauai Symphony Orquester website - the way it is laid out, the ratings, user comments, etc. I couln\'t play the other songs but I\'ll try on another computer.

Please post more of your \"concerto for orchestra\" as you write it. And thanks for posting and sharing this with us.

Gary Garritan

----------------------------
    Ahhh...the life on Kauai [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Kevin, I think your orchestration and writing is pretty good. You might want to work on your mix a little. Some instruments sound way up front and some way back in an unnatural way. This usually has to do with reverb levels. (Very wet sounds sound distant and dry sounds sound in your face.) The other thing I noticed is that the piano was fading in and out. If this was your intention, it\'s fine but it just doesnt sound natural. Thirdly.......haha, there is no third!! But I bet I had you goin. Keep em\' coming and experiment with tweeking you reverb levels in SX.

Eric W

Go Back to forum