• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Does it take more RAM to........

Share/Bookmark

Does it take more RAM to........

Does it use more ram if say, I wanted to set up 2 \"Lush Violins 1\"? I\'ve found that to over come the lack of attack and release parameters, it\'s good to set up 2 of the same sound and alternate chords between them in some cases so that as one chord fades out, another can fade in over the tale of the first and continue to leap frog when the particular part calls for that style. I know that I will incur the extra ram for each additional Kompact player that I open up as a result of needing more for the doubled sounds but other than that, does it make a difference? Just wondering.

Eric W

Re: Does it take more RAM to........

Have you tried using your Lush violins in combination with individual violins? You could then write out individual parts for the solo violin ensembles so that when the big chords from the lush violin track stop, you could let the ens violins continue playing (or slowly fade em). Might give ya more control.

- jUnK

Eric,

Loading a second copy of the same instrument into a different slot of a single instance of the GPO player does not double the RAM demand. There is a small amount of additional “overhead” but it is insignificant. The GPO player is smart enough to reference the same samples when you load multiple copies of the same instrument.

Tom

Tom...

This sounds very interesting indeed. Are there perhaps any plans to add some of the editing choises that the EWQLSO Silver player has?

I\'m thinking primarily about the ADSR and filter controls etc. The possibilities using multiple instances of the same instrument but with different settings would be great IMO.

Also, do you maybe have any plans to implement DFD into the GPO player? I noticed EWQLSO Silver has it, so it seems to be technically possible.

I understand implementing these things are probably a question of time and money for you guys, but it would make GPO even better and more competetive.

Gary briefly mentioned the idea of perhaps releasing an \"Advanced GPO\" version in another thread. If that version would have some of the EWQLSO Silver features i.e. more sound editing possibilities and DFD, I think many would gladly pay for it (I would).

GPO\'s affordable price attracts people of limited funds, which is one of it\'s major strong points. Thus, paying for an \"advanced\" and more editable version upgrade of GPO would be an attractive alternative for many compared to buying the full Kontakt sampler.

I might be wrong about this, but I really think it would make GPO even more excellent and competetive, and surely leave any current competition behind. Not only when it comes to it\'s own unique concept, but in general as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Rodney

Originally posted by eaglehvac:
    ..it\'s good to set up 2 of the same sound and alternate chords between them in some cases so that as one chord fades out, another can fade in over the tale of the first and continue to leap frog when the particular part calls for that style. ...
    Eric W
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m not sure I understand why you are needing to set up two completely different tracks with the same patch in order to \"leap frog\" your chords. Is this because you have to continue fading out the mod wheel of one chord while hitting the next chord with a larger mod value before the 1st one has finished? Certainly, there is nothing stopping you from having overlapping chords on the same track. But if you have lots of mod wheel action happening on every chord...then yea I guess it would effect the whole sound.

But unless you\'re specifically trying to achieve some kind of divisi effect of having two parts of your string section play these overlapping chords, then I think the whole point is to blend it all into one whole sound...to sound as one string section playing a lush, legato section of music....and the mod wheel should in fact effect both the tail of the previous chord and the attack of the next chord...so again..I don\'t see why you need to have leap frogging chords on two different tracks. What am I missing?

Also, doesn\'t the legato mode solve this issue for you?

Rodney,

You broach some subjects that have been discussed in detail before. You may want to do a search of the Garritan forum here to read those past discussions.

Some short answers:

Any added editing features to the player are entirely in the hands of Native Instruments. It comes down to the difference between the Kontakt and Kompakt players and GPO requires the programming features presently available only in the Kontakt player. If you really want to edit these things the full version of Kontakt opens up all programming details for editing by the user and there is an attractive upgrade path to Kontakt from GPO.

Search the forum for the discussions on DFD implementation in both its technical and, more importantly, its legal ramifications for GPO. Another advantage to using GPO in the full version of Kontakt is that it comes with the DFD option now.

We are working on some additional features in line with recently added capabilities in Kontakt. More about that later.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tom

Dewdman,
    I just dont like the fact that, with no adjustable release, how the samples play sometimes from chord to chord. Yes I would like to be able to fade in one chord as another fades out. Yes this can be done between Violins 1 and 2 but why do that if I can save some ram and use the same section twice. I come from the synth world of Roland\'s orchestral boards and the EMU Virtuoso. While GPO is much better than the two of these for the most part, they still do some things very well. One of those things is just plain playability. I can grab the \"Slow Violins\" patch on my XP-30 and just play away and really enjoy it. Gpo makes me work to get the same fades in and out of chords but the payback is huge I have to say. I wish that the attack really was sensitive to velocity but it\'s not very and this topic has been beat to death so I dont want to carry on any more about it. Like I said, \"I Love GPO\". It\'s just a new way of working and I\'m just trying to find the best ways to achieve the results that I\'m used to (and some better). I will probably end up using GPO as my main pallette for quite some time but I\'ll also be supplementing the sound a bit with some hard spicatto strings from the aforementioned sources. Wow, I think my hands are gonna fall off if I type much more. Hope this answers your question.

Eric W

Eric,

It appears that recent changes to the Kontakt architecture have made it possible, for the first time, to add release control without introducing impractical side-effects. This will be done, if not in the next version, in the one following that. Attack control will remain as it is for all of the reasons previously given.

Tom

Excellent Tom. This will be much appreciated by many I\'m sure.

Eric W

Originally posted by Tom Hopkins:
    Eric,

It appears that recent changes to the Kontakt architecture have made it possible, for the first time, to add release control without introducing impractical side-effects. This will be done, if not in the next version, in the one following that. Attack control will remain as it is for all of the reasons previously given.

Tom
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Cool! how will I ever be able to stand the wait.

Go Back to forum