• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Tuscan Affair – First GPO Demo

Tuscan Affair – First GPO Demo

…Breaking my wallflower status, I am offering up two compositions using GPO that I have been working on.
    The first, Tuscan Affair was an exercise in writer’s block. I literally sat down and decided that something was better than nothing. I took the opportunity to actually work with the mod wheel, a technique that up till now had eluded me.
    Tuscan Affair

The second is Russian Dance (my first using GPO), a piece I had written almost 25 years ago (I’m 29 - Ha!), newly orchestrated using GPO. The piano is the Malmsjo Acoustic Grand (second computer) as my CPU was shot with the 44 tracks in GPO.
    Russian Dance

I hope you will enjoy them. Your constructive criticism is welcome.

Thank you in advance,

Re: Tuscan Affair – First GPO Demo

Very nice. I enjoyed these compositions. The volume curves of the strings could be a little bit more vivid IMO...but hey..we all learn.

Well done.

Very nice William. I thought that the dynamics were some of the most smooth and believable that I\'ve heard. I just submitted a demo that I later realized had serious dynamic problems and am fixing them now. Bravo! I think there are a few places where you would benefit from depressing the sustain pedal to smooth out the legato on the first piece. You definitly upped the ante a bit for me personally though. Cant wait to hear some more and I would love to get some feedback from you on my stuff as you definitly are getting some very desirable results. Good Luck!

Eric W

- m

William, these are wonderful pieces that really show off GPO.

My only criticism is that you have way too much reverb going on. It sounds like the orchestra is at the far end of an enormous cavern. I think these beautiful arrangements could benefit from a much closer sound.

Other than that, great work!

Orcas Island

Fantastic work. I just couldn\'t get the theme from Tuscan Affair out of my head today.

Perhaps this would be a good piece for us to collaborate and learn with. Just a thought.

Thanks for posting these.

Gary Garritan

Hamburg, Germany

Hi William,

to me the Tuscan Affair sounds groundbreaking [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Really great, by all means... same for the Russian Dance.

With every demo posted in this forum, I see that I have a long way to go myself. I hope I can count on the help of everybody here to improve my skills.

UK- teeming with life....

Lovely stuff....I particularly appreciated the Tuscan Affair; a very romantic and majestic piece at times. If I had to say anything I would say that there is maybe a dash too much reverb. I also think that the horn at around 1:50 could have more movement and realism.....otherwise very hard to fault. I\'ve spent good money on worse! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I give up William... Between you and Francesco, I might as well quit. (Goes storming off into the distance pouting like a child...) [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I really enjoyed Tuscan Affair. It reminded me of a song from an anime I watched recently, Noir if anyone cares (it was set in France). Great job, hope to hear more and I can only hope to do as well.

Tuscan Affair is a very, very moving piece. It takes alot to give me chills, but you did. Especially with the sudden stop of the crescendo at the end. I was litterally on the edge of my seat. The strings are very powerful. Bravo. By the way, I think that the reverb was fine. I always get told that I use too much as well. Oh well, birds of a feather...

Russian dance is another fantastic composition. For some reason, it reminds me of the Mamushka from the Addams Family movie. I like the use of solo and ensemble instruments. The only thing I have is the trumpets (I think they\'re trumpets) at the beginning sound a little synthy. Maybe check the articulations on those.

Once again, excellent job.

Go Back to forum