• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Viking saga, next section

Share/Bookmark

Re: Viking saga, next section

Excellent Shaz. You say a lot with your music as it definitley draws some pictures in my head. Keep it coming!

Eric w

Viking saga, next section

I know a few people had mentioned that they wanted to hear the continuing progress of the Viking saga I\'ve been working on, so here\'s the next section.

I spent some more time on the controller editing for some parts of the new section (which begins at about the one minute mark), the strings in particular. There\'s definitely a difference in the effectiveness of the strings when using the legato mode, and adjusting the velocity and modulation settings on certain phrases. I know some things here and there still need some tweaking and consideration (for example, should the wind machine continue longer than it does or should it not come in again at all where the glass harmonica enters?), and overall it needs some mastering, but I\'ll go back and do that once I\'ve got the whole piece essentially together.

I imagine that many of you here who compose
    orchestral works regularly are used to it, but this is a whole new world for me creating something like this. Instead of creating melodies and hooks and lyric imagery for a song, it\'s creating moods and textures and thinking more in terms of dynamics and sound imagery. I only have a vague idea of where I\'m going with a piece like this, so in a sense I\'m right on that Viking boat voyaging out into a dark sea, but it\'s a cool thing to experience, and I\'m excited to see where it goes next. I\'m grateful for something like GPO to allow me this experience.

But after the seriousness of this piece, I\'m looking forward to trying an orchestral comedy number next. I love the fun sound of things like the sexy hamster pieces and I\'ve got to try something like that. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks for listening.
    Shaz

Ahhhh...the saga continues.
    I feel bad cause I didn\'t buy a ticket!
    Like I was at the movies! This is great! I love the use of the glass harmonica. (carefull you don\'t cut your lips)
    Really...Excellent piece of work! Sounds like more is on the way?

Shaz,

It was about time for the next episode of the Viking saga. Your use of the wind machine conjurs up an image of a viking ship at sea.
    I like where you are going with this. Can\'t wait for the next adventure!

Gary Garritan

Hey Shaz,

this stuff is really amazing! I love it and can\'t wait to see this being continued. The only thing I would check (but this could be really only me or my ears) is the rhythmical texture of the basses in the quiet parts. As I said, it could be that I\'m wrong, but it seems to be a little loose - could be it was your intention though.

Malte

Originally posted by MalteRathke:
    Hey Shaz,

this stuff is really amazing! I love it and can\'t wait to see this being continued. The only thing I would check (but this could be really only me or my ears) is the rhythmical texture of the basses in the quiet parts. As I said, it could be that I\'m wrong, but it seems to be a little loose - could be it was your intention though.

Malte
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Oh, I like the texture of the basses but they don\'t seem as loose to me. Maybe it\'s my ears as well. The rhythm kind of renders a feeling the Vikings were getting their fill of drink and making marry during their long journey. Sort of like they’re getting a little off their normal stride! I like anyone’s piece that can take you to places far away from this world of ours even if it is a fantasy. Nice work Shazbot. Let the saga continue!
    Whaat did he say?
    Hmmm speaking of fantasies…

Originally posted by Styxx:
    The rhythm kind of renders a feeling the Vikings were getting their fill of drink and making marry during their long journey. Sort of like they’re getting a little off their normal stride!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hehe, an interesting way to see things [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Yeah, you might be right, maybe I should get anotha aof theeez buttles whizz rumm.. oh, it was mead I think [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Malte

Shaz,

Great work man. The Viking theme really does give one the impression of seeing a distant shoreline from the sea.

I can\'t wait to see where you go with this. There are some excellent possibilites to use the theme as a lietmotif during the pillaging, which I assume comes later.

I love tone poems, which is what this essentially is. IF you need some other examples of work like this, check out the series of tone poems that Richard Strauss wrote (including Don Juan, Don Quxiote, Till Eugispeigal, Death and Transfiguration, Also Sprach Zaruthstra, Hero Tale).

I have written one that can be found at http://www.jonnylostinc.com/6963.html. It\'s called the Hero Saga and loosely tells the story of the Death of Superman. I am working on mocking this up using GPO as well as writing a few other movements. One representing the Breaking of Batman and another, the Green Lantern Corps (can you tell I\'m a comic Geek!!)

Anyway, I got a little bit off the subject. If you have any questions or want feedback, let me know.

Keep up the fantastic work, and Odin may smile upon you!!

Jonny

Originally posted by Jonny Lost:
    I have written one that can be found at http://www.jonnylostinc.com/6963.html. It\'s called the Hero Saga and loosely tells the story of the Death of Superman.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey, great piece! Goes many different directions, and I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for sharin\'!

It\'s really exciting following the Viking saga... (cue organ) this week on Viking Saga: Lars finds Oleg in the arms of his another warrior! Will the looting and pillaging ever end in the village of Bor? Will Shane marry Tamara before she chooses Brick? Stay tuned!

Seriously I like the music very much. I\'m curious what your thoughts would be on the music of Aarvo Part. Your style, perhaps just the opening motive, is vaguely reminiscent of \"Te Deum\" for me.

The only thing I would suggest in addition to tightening up the bass line in a couple places is to add more instruments. Try doubling the bass line with celli (playing an octave above), or double it with some trombones or tuba or even try putting that bassoon back to work (might be an interesting color in the rhythmic section).

Very nice work, Mr. \'bot. Can\'t wait for the next installment.

Go Back to forum