• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using a MIDI Controller

Share/Bookmark

Using a MIDI Controller

With no mod or pitch wheel on my keyboard I bought an Evolution Midi Controller - which has 2 rows of 8 knobs to twiddle. I programmed one to be a mod wheel, so that works fine with GPO now. On the Kontakt Player window there are I think 8 virtual knobs for things like volume, VAR2, etc. Does anyone know if I can program my knobs to match those 8 ?

Re: Using a MIDI Controller

Low,

Additional assignable controllers:
    Portamento (also bass drum fundamental level) – cc20
    VAR 1 – cc22
    VAR 2 – inactive in present version (will be moved to cc23 and active in the next version)

For most \"wet\" instruments:
    Reverb level – cc21

If activated in the player’s Options menu:
    MIDI volume – cc7
    MIDI pan – cc10

The “tune” knob cannot be controlled externally.

Tom

That\'s fantastic Tom thank you. It all works a treat now and the 8 knobs on the box match the 8 knobs on screen beatifully [except for Tune as you pointed out]. After I set it up according to your instructions, I experimented and I did find that VAR2 responded to cc24 so that is working as well! cc23 seems to control the top right-most knob which doesn\'t seem to get used in any of the patches.

Hi LOW,
    I\'ve been thinking of up grading to a better controller and I see you\'ve purchased an Edirol Evolution. If I may ask, which model (number) did you buy? My goal is also to use the control knobs in real time.
    Thanks much,

Hi Styxx,

I\'ve been stumbling across many of your informative and interesting posts in the 24 hours I\'ve been a member here. Also thats your \'Final Moment\' up on the webbie isn\'t it? Very clean well put together - great piece of work.

Yes my keyboard has no midi-controllers (foot pedals only), and there was nothing in the shop I bought GPO from like a separate mod wheel/pitch wheel - but they had the Evolution U-Control UC16 on sale at half-price (about 50UKP) so I thought it was worth a try. It has 2 rows of 8 knobs. The left two I have assigned to mod wheel. The next 8 I have put red tape round and mapped to the 7 of the 8 mappable Kompakt Player knobs. This leaves 6 spare knobs when using GPO. You can have up to 25 presets, and I have number one mapped to GPO and number 2 came already configured for Halion. It\'s a bit odd twisting a knob for the control wheel and I think they have controllers with sliders on more expensive than mine. I tend to want to play with two hands, so would prefer maybe a swell pedal mapped to mod wheel. But it was an impulse buy and was prepared for it to not work for me at all, but indeed you can twiddle the knobs and watch the knobs move on screen for hours on end if that\'s your thing. Any questions, you know where to come!

Twiddle the knobs! That\'s funny!
    So it sounds like a fair deal. I will go to the music shop and see if they have one on display. I have a friend who is into modifying instrument controls. I asked him if he could modify my keyboard controller so the mod and pitch can be controlled with a foot volume control. He seems to think it\'s possible. This would definitely free up my hands as well. Particularly when I am recording Timpani glisses while eating a roll. It\'s been a while. I have to call him again to remind him. Everyone is so busy.
    Thanks for the compliment!

Go Back to forum