• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: First (Algorithmic) Piece

Share/Bookmark

First (Algorithmic) Piece

And I mean my *very* first piece: made within 60 minutes of installing GPO! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I do lots of algorithmic stuff, so it was a no-brainer to set up the default string quartet multi to play pizzicato as my first experiment. Essentially, I set up four \"players\" and told them the rules to improvise by. After that, I let them go on their own to have some fun. After I got the rules tweaked to my liking I just rendered down a bit over a minute of it as a sample:

GP(izz)O Test

I\'d typically use this sort of thing in soundtrack work as a basis for mood, and then write actual changes to match up with screen cues. Here I took the easy way out and just faded it before it went anywhere. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

So it\'s nothing much. And I didn\'t intend to steal Nhick\'s vibe. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Just wanted to share the joy of receiving my GPO! Thanks to Gary for the generosity, Mike Kelley for getting the ball rolling, and everyone else for the support and inspiration in finally getting me here! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

- m

Re: First (Algorithmic) Piece

I v/2 that it t=|u-v|/2, and you definitely gcd(|u-v|/2,v)! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I think that would be good music to use as accompaniment for a documentary about spiders.

Cool sound. Man, I didn\'t know how expressive the pizz strings could be... are those different attacks controlled by velocity, or does the MOD wheel do that?

Humanize the tempos a tiny bit, and put some ambient sounds (AC hum, throat coughing, little old ladies opening candy wrappers), and you could convince people that\'s a real performance.

What software did you use for your programming? Max?

Chris.

Originally posted by CallMeZoot:
    Cool sound. Man, I didn\'t know how expressive the pizz strings could be... are those different attacks controlled by velocity, or does the MOD wheel do that?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The setup for pizz string is controlled by velocity: apparently there are quite a few layers in there with distinct sounds!

Humanize the tempos a tiny bit, and put some ambient sounds (AC hum, throat coughing, little old ladies opening candy wrappers), and you could convince people that\'s a real performance.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hrm, all this stuff seems to be missing from GPO! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

There\'s a teeny bit of timing variance introduced (I guess more is in order), but nothing in the way of tempo breathing...

What software did you use for your programming? Max?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I write custom generative MFX plugin modules that I chain together in various ways, all hosted in SONAR. The basic chain for each player here was:

* Stream Generator: creates a stream of regular (unpitched) notes (16ths for violins, 8th viola, 1/4 cello).
    * Tuplet Generator: introduces a percent chance that a note that will be played will be substituted by two of half their duration.
    * Pitch Range: Each player creates a series of 7 notes to go through in the rhythm as dictated by the previous two plugins. When the series is done, it is repeated. However, there is a given chance that each time a note is played, it will change to a new pitch, altering the series over time.
    * Velocity Seeder: Assigns new velocities to the incoming notes randomly in a specified range.
    * Quantize: actually de-quantize in this case, the thing that adds a bit of \"timing slop\"

So what comes out is in a rhythm and tonality as dictated by fate! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I find it very interesting how sometimes the series line up in harmony, or particular rhythms will coincide in ensemble accents and rests.

Part of the fun is that it still surprises me! Often times, in practice, I would render off a few minutes of the computer\'s improv and clip out sections of particular interest to arrange how I see fit.

I didn\'t exert too much control over this setup as I typically can. I call my system \"gestural composition\", as I can control it with broad strokes of MIDI automation envelopes to dictate how the players act: louder here, busier there, key change at particular measures...

Boy, I sure can drone on! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

- m

Fascinating!

Algorithmic Music is an artform in and of itself.
    It involves the application of algorithms as part of the composition process where mathematics and computer programming is an instrument in its own right. Even though “algorithmic” connotes randomness, it is not really random since the composer gives the computer rules to play and improv by.It could be fractal, semi-random, or produced by some other complex mathematical means and the music is determined by the musical preferences of a human.

Your \"gestural composition\" takes digital orchestration to another level. Will your generative MFX plugin modules be made available someday on tencrazy.com?

Thanks for posting GP(izz)O! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gary Garritan

Impressive it is .. I often thought about programming some algorithm for music creation myself, but I guess I\'m just not clever enough [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Malte

Markleford,

Your droning is very interesting, don\'t stop.

I have never used algorithms to generate compositions, or musical ideas, but I can see their value - especially when writer\'s block looms large. But I understand that there are programs out there specifically for this purpose. Do you ever use any of them? Which one(s) would you suggest trying out?

Trond

Algorithmic rythms are somewhat like polyrythms in a way. I loved it and as soon as it started playing I could hear percussion traveling algorithmicly in counterpart with the pizz. Would you mind if I downloaded a wave and experimented using live percussion and GPO?

Originally posted by Markleford:

I write custom generative MFX plugin modules that I chain together in various ways, all hosted in SONAR. The basic chain for each player here was:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">are that plugin available to the community?
    i would be very interested! :-)

Originally posted by Shazbot:
    I v/2 that it t=|u-v|/2, and you definitely gcd(|u-v|/2,v)! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Or is that somehow an insult in algorithmic language?? Definitely not meant to be. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

But I was serious about the spider thing.

Go Back to forum