• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: GPO with Overture SE is awesome, except...

Share/Bookmark

GPO with Overture SE is awesome, except...

So, I have finally grasped the extent of Overture SE\'s greatness...this latest composition utilizing Overture and GPO Studio will easily defeat my other...lesser ones. However!

Accents. The instrumentation at present is french horns (overlay ff + three ensembles) and percussion (snares, timpani, bass drum). The horns are approximately a sixteenth note behind the percussion. Attack time\'s not too good, in other words. Surely a tenuto or something would fix this, but Overture states that accent marks have no effect on MIDI playback.

Second, MIDI playback. It\'s not too good. Overture sounds like it has about half a year of experience in piano...it\'s offbeat, inconsistent...well, it was also like this using GPO with another sequencer, so I suspect GPO Studio is to blame. Is it an inadequate computer? Probably not, I have a 1.5ghz processor and 1gb memory, and there are only seven instruments so far.

Like, yeah. Thanks for the help in advance (I\'m sure it can be provided...).

Re: GPO with Overture SE is awesome, except...

Originally posted by Cerrabore:
    So, I have finally grasped the extent of Overture SE\'s greatness...

Accents... Attack time\'s not too good, in other words. Surely a tenuto or something would fix this, but Overture states that accent marks have no effect on MIDI playback.

Second, MIDI playback. It\'s not too good...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">As a long-time user of a different notation program I have found Overture SE better.

Accents: Hit the \"C\" key (for cursor) or click the arrow pointer button. Now select your horn notes, click and drag over notes, and add notes with ctrl-click and drag. After notes are selected type ctrl-Y to bring up and handy-dandy Modify Notes window. Select stuff to \"Set Key Velocity to\". Set the velocity to some high value 90-127 and I guaranteeee you\'ll get a sharper attack.

You can also change the Key Velocity by opening up the Graphic Window, highlighting notes and again typing Ctrl-Y, and doing the above. I guess the advantage of the Graphic Window is that you can see beforehand what the Key Velocity is before you change it.

As for MIDI playback. I think there is some unsteadiness introduced by GPO Studio. I hear none of the unsteadiness in playback when I use GPO as a VST instrument in Cubasis.

Yeah, same here, GPO VST playback is perfectly on-time...

Anyway, I tried the velocity thing, it worked; thanks!

Ah, one more thing - staccatos (staccati?). Is it possible to do these with a MIDI controller or do I have to manually shorten the lengths of the notes?

Originally posted by Cerrabore:
    Ah, one more thing - staccatos (staccati?). Is it possible to do these with a MIDI controller or do I have to manual shorten the lengths of the notes?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I *believe* the answer is that no articulations affect MIDI playback.

I originally thought that this was a drawback, but I found a method that I am very happy with. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Select notes (contiguous or spread out all over the place) and then type Ctrl-Y. Make your sentence \"Legato Duration to\" and set a percentage. Set it to some value that sounds good for the tempo of your particular piece. For example I was using \"65%\" today.

*But*, don\'t forget the value of shortening the non-staccato notes. Setting notes to \"97%\" is still legato but with a very clean sounding \"GPO\" attack on the next note.

If you\'re playing \"marcato\" you may even want to set non-staccato notes to \"80%\" to get in air time between notes.

And the Graphic Window will show you visually how much space you have between notes.

[There might be a bug in the Modify Notes window. Sometimes the first drop-down menu does not contain \"Legato\". I am not knowledgeable enough to know whether this is a feature or a bug.]

PatS

You can also use \"Scale Duration.\" However, make sure you don\'t accidentally select Key Velocity or Release Velocity in the second field. I guess that\'s the main advantage of using the Legato option: it affects only duration.

Pat

cerrabore,

I spoke with Don and he says that Overture 4 will make accent marks affect have MIDI playback.

There shouldn\'t be unsteadiness introduced by GPO Studio itself. We\'ll do some testing to be sure. I would be interested to know if anyone else is experiencing this.

Gary

Hi Gary, great news about Don and Overture. You’re definitely selling this product for him, as I am going to upgrade to the full version of Overture 4 due to the recent advancements, and its GPO dreamlike compatability.

About the articulations playback, I think it needs to be customizable, just like the dynamics. You should be able to double click on a staccato mark and choose the note length. Default would of course be set at 50 percent of the full duration of the note.

There also needs to be a mark for Tenuto/Staccato (line with a dot under it.) It implies a slight detache and pressure on each note. That would indicate a slight increase in both velocity and slight decrease in duration. Again, must be customizable, as in the dynamics menu.

Also, like the dynamics menu, you should be able to set the global values in the palette or just change one by one once they are entered with a “this mark only” checkbox.

Other Overture 4 wishes:
    Auto-rests or at least a feature called “Fill in all rests.”
    Legato (pedal) Trigger for GPO in the slurs.

I have a bunch more, but I’ll save it for later.

PS-very happy about independent recording of mod wheel now. I can step input, then add the \"flava\"!

PatS

Jesse:

Send your requests directly to Don at support@geniesoft.com. He may not always respond to your messages, but he reads them and will take your requests seriously. For example, he just enabled the Controller option in the Expressions window of Overture SE for those who wish to create custom Pedal On and Pedal Off expressions.

Pat

Originally posted by Garritan:
    cerrabore,

I spoke with Don and he says that Overture 4 will make accent marks affect have MIDI playback.

There shouldn\'t be unsteadiness introduced by GPO Studio itself. We\'ll do some testing to be sure. I would be interested to know if anyone else is experiencing this.

Gary
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Gary,

I\'ve experience some unsteadyness, delays in tempo, notes that sound a beat late, etc...

As near as I can tell, it\'s a CPU issue that\'s being caused by the quality of the ambience setting. In other words, when I turn down the ambience CPU quality it usually solves it. I\'ve played around with the Buffer size which seems to effect it.

Mind you, I have the RAM pretty much maxed out too, (I have 1gig and am using it ALL) so that might be related to the issue.

Hi,
    I\'ve downloaded Overture SE 3.6.0 and installed it, but if I look at the \"about\" after launching the program, it shows 3.5.1.
    Is this normal or I did something wrong ?

Also, after putting some sustain pedal 127 and 0 in the score using the new controller expression feature, I can see no sustain pedal values in the graphics window.

Thx
    GF

Go Back to forum