• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: MIDI File - Horn Section Demo (see how Francesco does it)

Share/Bookmark

MIDI File - Horn Section Demo (see how Francesco does it)

We have received many requests to post MIDI files, notation files and song files to help GPO users learn more about orchestrating and using the library.

A few months ago, Francesco Marchetti wrote a French Horn Ensemble demo comprising the 8 individual horns in the GPO library.

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/horns.mp3

Each line is played separately with individual entrances,intonation and dynamics.

Here is the MIDI FILE (use the GPO Studio file below for use with Finale or Overture, or set up one instance of the Player):

Only one instance of the GPO Kontakt Player is needed and here is the instrumentation in slot order:

1. French Horn 1 Ens 1
    2. French Horn 1 Ens 2
    3. French Horn 1 Ens 3
    4. French Horn 2 Ens 1
    5. French Horn 2 Ens 2
    6. French Horn 2 Ens 3
    7. FHorn Overlay F
    8. FHorn Overlay FF

Here is the Cubasis file (and perhaps this can open in Cubase/Nuendo?):
    CUBASIS FILE

Here is the OVERTURE notation file:

Here is the GPO STUDIO FILE :

From these files you can see how Francesco weaved his magic with the GPO horns. Thanks Francesco for sharing your MIDI file with us.

I hope you will find this helpful and instructive. We will be posting more of these soon.

Gary Garritan

Re: MIDI File - Horn Section Demo (see how Francesco does it)

First and foremost, THANKS to Francesco and Gary for posting this. Most instructive...

Now...
    What does the channel aftertouch do in GPO, if anything? Amazingly, all I see upon a quick look is molto modwheel, some of the aftertouch, and ONE pedal event.

Does aftertouch relate to what I\'d call \"release velocity?\"

Geeze, I was gonna go to bed--I\'m on spring break this week, so who needs sleep...

Snorlax won\'t be snoring for a while yet!!

BTW...who knows who Snorlax REALLY is?? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Again...THANKS to both of you!!!

Jim

Very awesome! Very useful. Very cool to see this sort of information.

It\'s neat to see how Mr. Marchetti layered the instruments. And it gave me an interesting idea.

So many demos only show the final version of songs. So when the untrained user gets the library, he\'s left a little upset that the out-of-the-box sounds don\'t quite live up to his expectations. It was interesting to see this file go from midi, to dry GPO horns, to fx\'d up finished product! Might make an interesting, if not instructive, demo!

In any case, much thanks to Francesco for allowing us to view his work like this.

- jUNK the fUNK

Good use of mod wheel there

I\'m also curious about the aftertouch messages, went over the documentation and didn\'t see them anywhere

snorlax, guybrush,

I guess Francesco has played the tracks live, recording it with a sequencer. The aftertouch messages are generated automatically if the pressure, applied through Francesco\'s hand(s) whilst playing, change. I don\'t clean up the aftertouch controller data myself - it\'s not necessary and can be ignored with instruments that don\'t support aftertouch at all (like GPO).

Malte

This is really fantastic to be able to see how a top flight musician puts together a piece like this. I would also really really love to get my hands on the source for the demo of Beethoven\'s 5th as it was this demo that convinced me to buy GPO in the first place. Hell I think I would pay to have that!

By the way, the Cubasis song works at least in Nuendo 1.5.x - File..import...cubase song...and then choose a project folder. I had to then choose GPO VST manually for every track, but that only took a mo. It also loads straight into Cubase VST 5.x without further work. I don\'t have SX to try it out on that version though.

This is awesome! Wow, thanks Francesco and Gary! I can\'t wait to get to my studio and study this further! Love the voicing and mod control. Very nice work!
    But, I have one question for Francesco. Where\'s the pizza we ordered?

Yes, thanks to both Francesco for creating and sharing, and to Gary, for posting this. We want more and more!

If Mr. F. recorded this while playing he must have quantized them, as no one is that superhuman in terms of timing. It would indeed be very interesting to know exactly the composition process going on here.

Originally posted by snorlax:
    BTW...who knows who Snorlax REALLY is?? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You mean the Pokemon character? I dunno -- his mother, perhaps.

(Or does anyone really know who anyone else is? And what is the meaning of \"is\"?)

thanks a lot
    BRAVO

Go Back to forum