• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Snorlax" Live in Concert--Part 1

Share/Bookmark

"Snorlax" Live in Concert--Part 1

OK, GPO fans...there has been a lot of euphonium talk here. To inspire you all [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] here are a couple of live snippets from a chart I did for the Indianapolis Brass Choir in 2001--a medley of Steely Dan tunes called \"Steely Brass\"

Reelin\' in the Years

I am playing the 2-guitar passage with a horn player from the Indpls. Symphony at :02 and have a solo at :17.

My Old School

I have solo bits at :19 and 1:00. Eat your heart out, Denny Dias...

As soon as I get it back, I will post snippets of a real, live euphonium concerto with wind ensemble accompaniment

WHY???
    *So you GPOers get a taste of what the euphonium can do.

*So you will start writing euphonium pieces in Overture, do the mockups in GPO with the euphonium sample Tom & Gary are gonna add, and send \'em to me so I can play them.

Of course, the accompaniment will be GPOd using the wind ensemble library that they are gonna develop.

So Gary won\'t post any more cruel, heartless, insensitive, insulting,euphonium jokes (Well, maybe the performance here is its own joke...)

Getting a French Horn section to swing--or come close to it--is one of the hardest tasks I\'ve ever undertaken.

Francesco--write something for me!!!

Jim

Re: "Snorlax" Live in Concert--Part 1

Good Euphoium chops Prof. Jim! Sounds purple and I\'m impressed.

In all seriousness, I contacted an excellent Euphonist (??) today who agreed to do a sampling session.

Can\'t resist the cruel, heartless, insensitive, insulting euphoniumisms...

What\'s the range of a Euphoium?
    Twenty yards if you\'ve got a good arm! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Gary Garritan

You\'re not going to perform that tuba solo from the Schmaggie brother\'s movie \"The Last Polka\" are you?
    Anyway, I happen to love the sound of the u---the upho---the---you know! That brass thingy thing that no one writes for!
    Lets here dem dar snippets again partner! Awesome!
    [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] euphonium [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Bravo Prof. Jim!

You have a new fan. Pure genius to combine two classics, Steely Dan and the Euphonium.

You represent us Euphonists (no, Gary I\'m not sure that\'s right either) well.

I\'m not sure why French Horns can\'t swing. Maybe it\'s got something to do with that little mouthpiece or the weird fingering. Maybe it\'s got more to do with the \"French\" part. Hmmm. Given enough rope, I\'m sure you could make a French Horn section really swing. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I\'ll be waiting for additional mp3s Jim.

Ty

Cool...thanx for that refreshing live stuff. Makes obvious that the certain band sparkle can\'t be created in the sleeping room studio one man show.

It is possible to play swing on F Horn, but it is extremely difficult to do it effectively.

I don\'t know why they call it the French Horn though. Most of it history takes place in Germany (So I\'ve heard).

That point aside, I love the idea of Euphonium in GPO! It is a beautiful sounding instrument that I have been wanting samples of for quite a while.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Garritan:
    [QB] Good Euphoium chops Prof. Jim! Sounds purple and I\'m impressed.

I try!

In all seriousness, I contacted an excellent Euphonist (??) today who agreed to do a sampling session.

Who is it? Someone from LA? Trombone player from the Seattle Sym. who doubles? Might be someone I know?!?

Can\'t resist the cruel, heartless, insensitive, insulting euphoniumisms...

Harp jokes coming soon to a BBS near you...

<expletive euph joke deleted>

Too much BBS time here--back to music!!
    Jim

Is it musical-narcissism for one to want a GPO-ized sample set of their own horn? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Sometimes I\'m just too lazy to set up the microphone! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

- m

Go Back to forum