• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Piece using GPO

Share/Bookmark

New Piece using GPO

Greetings;

After listening to George Antheil\'s \"Ballet Mechanique\" I could not resist dashing off this little silliness entitled \"Introduction,Galop and Waltz\" for 2 pianos, 2 xylophones, Glockenspeil, Tubular Bells and Percussion. All was done with GPO in Sibelius.

It is quite a contrast from my last posting. Quite dissonant lots of clanging and banging but It is hoped that you enjoy listening to it as much as I had great fun writing it. A good set of speakers will help with the dynamic effect.

www.digitalphilharmonic.com/introgalopwaltz.mp3

Ira Kraemer
    Introduction,Galop and Waltz, copyright 2004

Re: New Piece using GPO

Ira,

This certainly is in the style of \"Ballet mécanique\". It certain is a departure from your last piece and I think you succeeded in capturing the essence of Antheil.

For those not familiar with \"Ballet Mécanique\" it was written in 1927, by George Antheil, a young American composer living in Paris. Antheil wrote several versions and the piece has a colorful history.

The Ballet mécanique is atonal and highly rhythmic, some call it brutalistic, combining musical instruments along with other sound elements (like airplane propellers and a siren). At its American premiere in Carnegie Hall in 1927, it caused tremendous controversy and reputedly fistfights. It created such a fiasco that Antheil\'s career as a \"serious\" composer never recovered and the piece was never performed again for over 60 years.

After its rediscovery in recent years it has since won critical acclaim and has been performed by the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, the American Composers Orchestra and other orchestras in some of the best venues including Carnegie Hall in NYC, Symphony Hall in Boston, and in Maastricht in Amsterdam.

Your piece was fun to listen to. I hope your premiere on the NS GPO Forum is better received than Antheil\'s premiere and makes it to Carnegie Hall!

Thanks for posting your Introduction,Galop and Waltz\".

Gary Garritan

Your piece was fun to listen to. I hope your premiere on the NS GPO Forum is better received than Antheil\'s premiere and makes it to Carnegie Hall!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Gary;

I was at least hoping for a riot

Ira Kraemer

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Gary;

Ira Kraemer

Originally posted by Ira Kraemer:

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Then perhaps post it on the main sample discussion area!

Gary Garritan

Great piece, I loved it!

Several years ago I saw Ballet méchanique live together the film by Murphy and Léger. Man, no recording did justice to that experience up to now. I mean, you can´t capture the sound of 16 player pianos, 3 airplane propellors and so on on CD. It´s simply not possible.

It was a good inspiration. Actually I planned something like this, but in a more Nancarrow direction. Your piece gave me good ides. Thanks!

Bests,
    - Mathis

Ira,

Very cool! Just goes to show how versatile GPO can be. Pardon me while I throw a chair at a mirror.

-- Martin

Catastrophic! I love controversy over works of this nature. As a percussionist it\'s what the doctor ordered. Hmmmm what else? I was glued.

You wanna riot - go the general discussion forum and say it was done with EWQLSO Silver. They\'ll be lining up around the block to slap you on the virtual back and say how wonderful it is. Of course if you say it\'s GPO, the same track will \"sound synthy\". [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

BTW, I\'m getting some clipping through the left side (listening on headphones) - of course if that\'s what you\'re looking for...

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I love the change of pace - good work!

Hi to all;

Not only is there a tremendous amount of talent and skill on this forum, also great good humor.

I am glad that this work was able to bring some levity in today\'s unsettled world

Ira Kraemer

Go Back to forum