• Register
  • Help

Topic: A new piece from me...

A new piece from me...

This is my latest attempt with GPO. I recently got Cubase SX to use with GPO, but I have to say that I was completely shocked by it\'s complexity. There are buttons, knobs and sliders everywhere, and poor me haven\'t got the foggyest of how to really use them. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Perhaps there is someone here who would be willing to explain the use of an equalizer to a complete novice. I\'m almost convinced that it is one of the keys to getting clearer mp3\'s. My mix downs always seem to be a bit muffled and muddy, and I can\'t seem to find a way to get rid of it.

Anyway, here is my next piece after numerous takes. Don\'t judge too harshly please! I\'m eager to learn from comments and suggestions.

Best wishes

Louis Dekker

Orcas Island

Re: A new piece from me...

Very nice theme.

I really liked the harp part (being a harpist I thought you did a convincing job). What may help is to learn the use of legato mode to get the phrases to have more connection.

To help simplify Cubase SX and GPO, Alan wrote an excellent tutorial you may find useful:

EQ is a fascinating subject and engineers spend a great deal of time studying and appying it. It helps to listen to recordings and listen to the EQ and apply it to the music you are creating.

Please continue woring on your Fantasie Symphonique. Does anyone else have suggestions for Louis?

Gary Garritan

Some pointers

Hi Louis

Don\'t worry yourself about the complexity or abundance of knobs. The matter of EQing, Reverbing, or otherwise FXing does frighten most people not accustomed to it. But there are plenty of books written on the topics (like Audio PostProduction by Jay Rose) which handle the matter delicately and intuitively. A very eye-opening read, imho.

If you are not totally concerned with the nuances of such things, then perhaps taking time to look over the following pointers might help:

<ul type=\"square\">[*] <font color=\"red\"> Spread out your mix </font> - This is perhaps the most important! Without getting into too much detail, our brain can only interpret a limited number of sounds within one \"critical band.\" The band refers to a FREQUENCY band. Picture the frequency range like shades, from white to black. Our brain can only understand so many things within a given frequency interval. To help all your instruments, or specific instruments, cut through in your mix, you use EQ to emphasize frequencies within a given range (band). You also use it to CUT frequencies so that the instruments do not interfere with each other.
    [*] <font color=\"red\"> Work with the song, not instruments </font> - Especially with reverb! A lot of the mistakes that people make is reverbing every instrument individually so that it sounds great alone. But all that time is wasted when you play back all the instruments and realize your song is now drenched in reverb. Use reverb wisely, and as a good general tip: use it as little as possible!
    [*] <font color=\"red\"> Pan your mix </font> - This, hopefully, will soon be obsolete (to some degree)! With the increasing accessibility of 5.1 home studios, soon we will not be limited by stereo mixes (this means, fewer sounds will get lost in the mix!). For now, about 85% of the consumers use a stereo system (that is, two speakers). When mixing your music, be sure to pan stuff appropriately. This is not too big of a concern with GPO as most of the instruments are (thankfully) pre-panned to their natural positions in the orchestra. A wonderful time saver, for which I can never thank Gary enough! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img][/list]

One point that cannot be over emphasized is the importance of understanding how sound works! If you do not, then you will be wasting a lot of time adding EQ or other fx, as most of your time will be spent on trial-and-error. An example of this can be shown with reverb. It is often better to use reverb as an aux effect so that you get two sounds: a) your original sound, and b) your reverbed sound. Aside from increasing the control you have over how much reverb is applied (and also cutting back on CPU power!), this is more like how reverb happens naturally. We hear the source, then we hear it bouncing off of walls (reverb).

Lastly, as a personal digression, I try to have a similar approach every time I work. Having a smooth work-flow is essential to me. I use lots of templates to load files that have aux fx, DXi/VSTi\'s, etc., that I know I am going to load, to save time. I think that the most important thing to do, is limit the amount of time you have to spend \'engineering\' a mix, and increasing the time spent on writing. Leave the superfluous stuff for after you have written all your material. But focus first on writing!

I hope this helped!

- JuNkMonkey

Re: A new piece from me...

Nice work for your first steps. As Garry already said, use more legato for the strings[the leagato pedal and draw partially decent note overlaps]...and I would say also more expressive volume curves.

I like the way how you play the flutes &amp; woodwinds.

Also the room acoustix makes it quite real.

Go Back to forum