Share/Bookmark

Glory and Honor

SATB and Brass Choir - mp3

https://app.box.com/s/x6vlg6qvm8cbzxtslb3e

Glory and honor rule the heart of Man.
    Though there are those who do not understand,
    The time is come.
    A new beginning, new beginning.
    Man will go beyond his world, beyond his world.
    Glory and Honor rule the heart of Man.
    For Man, for Man, for Man.
    There is no rest for Man, and no ending.
    Leaving behind those who could not understand.

Re: Glory and Honor

I think I remember a while back you were talking about a new choir-program you purchased and were posting some of your work with it. Could you please let us know which program you are using?
    To me, it is amazingly good, the lyrics are very reasonably understandable, your dynamics are great and I just love the piece. I must say, the brass sound is, to me, does not match your expert handling of the choir. Maybe, that you had to make this piece for a brass assembly, but I would love to hear this with a good organ, or an organ and orchestra with brass solo's where you would like to use them.
    If you disagree with this, then at least try to push back the brass, so the choir is in the front.
    I sincerely hope you will not take my unsolicited comments any other way then that it was prompted in me by your beautiful work, wishing it to sound even better.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I think I remember a while back you were talking about a new choir-program you purchased and were posting some of your work with it. Could you please let us know which program you are using?
    To me, it is amazingly good, the lyrics are very reasonably understandable, your dynamics are great and I just love the piece. I must say, the brass sound is, to me, does not match your expert handling of the choir. Maybe, that you had to make this piece for a brass assembly, but I would love to hear this with a good organ, or an organ and orchestra with brass solo's where you would like to use them.
    If you disagree with this, then at least try to push back the brass, so the choir is in the front.
    I sincerely hope you will not take my unsolicited comments any other way then that it was prompted in me by your beautiful work, wishing it to sound even better.

Ted
    Ted,

Thank you for the response. The choral software is East West Symphonic Choirs used directly in Finale with no DAW. Yes, I know it is not possible according to all publishers involved, but as you can see I don't pay much attention to details like that. Everything else is Garritan samples.

I definitely appreciate your input concerning Glory and Honor. Give me a few hours and I'll see if I can come up with a string ensemble that will be appropriate. I would try an organ, but I honestly do not know all that much about organ registers and the like.

Thanks again for the information.

Tom

Thanks Tom, look forward to hear what you'll make.
    Looking at EW Symphonic Choir, and at my meager budget, I could get the Gold edition, but not the Platinum. You think the Gold sounds as good as yours in your Glory?

Thanks Tom, look forward to hear what you'll make.
    Looking at EW Symphonic Choir, and at my meager budget, I could get the Gold edition, but not the Platinum. You think the Gold sounds as good as yours in your Glory?
    The tonal quality would be the same, but some features would not be there.

To me, it is amazingly good, the lyrics are very reasonably understandable, your dynamics are great and I just love the piece.

Ted
    I fear I was only able to give about 30 minutes to a re-write with your suggestions, but take a listen and see if you find it flowing better than before.

https://app.box.com/s/tknm50n4cj92gjr5wzg0

Though there are those who do not understand,
    The time is come.
    A new beginning, new beginning.
    Man will go beyond his world, beyond his world.
    Glory and Honor rule the heart of Man.
    For Man, for Man, for Man.
    There is no rest for Man, and no ending.
    Leaving behind those who could not understand.

Tom

Thanks for the info.
    Yes, it is much better, and I like it even more this way.

Ted

Tom,

I'm an infrequent visitor here these days but I have been following your choral efforts with EW Choir with interest and it's time I expressed my appreciation of them. I love this work! It's well written and the choral part of it is well rendered with Finale despite the fact that getting choir libraries to sound realistic is probably the biggest challenge out there.

If it were me (which it isn't :-) ), I would rearrange the brass / strings for organ as this will result in a much more realistic mock-up but I think this could work as voices only. The structure and harmony is strong enough to standalone.

I particularly like the fact this work is realistically singable - it sounds very achievable and I hope it will get a performance soon.

On the subject of libraries, I use Virharmonics Voices of Prague. This and the EW library are the only two fully word capable libraries out there (although a few soloist libraries now exist). I was interested to compare your efforts with mine. I too only use Finale. I think the main difference to my ears is that the sops in EW are more mature sounding whereas in VoP they're more youthful. That would add up as European sops aim for a purer tone (more like treble voices) which I prefer - but that is purely a matter of personal choice.

Best wishes, Graham

www.soundclick.com/grahamkeitch

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch View Post
    Tom,

I'm an infrequent visitor here these days but I have been following your choral efforts with EW Choir with interest and it's time I expressed my appreciation of them. I love this work! It's well written and the choral part of it is well rendered with Finale despite the fact that getting choir libraries to sound realistic is probably the biggest challenge out there.

If it were me (which it isn't :-) ), I would rearrange the brass / strings for organ as this will result in a much more realistic mock-up but I think this could work as voices only. The structure and harmony is strong enough to standalone.

I particularly like the fact this work is realistically singable - it sounds very achievable and I hope it will get a performance soon.

On the subject of libraries, I use Virharmonics Voices of Prague. This and the EW library are the only two fully word capable libraries out there (although a few soloist libraries now exist). I was interested to compare your efforts with mine. I too only use Finale. I think the main difference to my ears is that the sops in EW are more mature sounding whereas in VoP they're more youthful. That would add up as European sops aim for a purer tone (more like treble voices) which I prefer - but that is purely a matter of personal choice.

Best wishes, Graham

www.soundclick.com/grahamkeitch

Thank you for your kind words. I believe you are correct in the idea of using an organ, (As also expressed earlier by Ted) but sadly my experience is seriously lacking in the registers and nuances of the great instrument. Otherwise I would enjoy making such an arrangement.

As to the singable element, I directed choirs from middle school, high school and college for 40 years and in this piece I purposefully aimed for advanced high school or college level voices, keeping all parts within reasonable ranges. Still, though, some of the harmonies in the middle section are quite difficult and require cross voicing.

BTW, I have often noticed that manyFinale users who feel their instrumental compositions sound un-lifelike, are frequently trying to have the instruments play out of their practical range. Granted that Stravinsky (for example) had the bassoon flying with the flutes - most of us - especially when using sampled instruments - fare better when staying within the normal range of both instruments and voices. A good reference such as Kent Wheeler Kennan's The Technique of Orchestration is always on my studio table.

www.soundclick.com/grahamkeitch[/QUOTE]

I see what you mean by the younger sound of Voices of Prague. Yet, the exquisite sound of your music far out-weighs any negative connotations.

I envy your sources for having music performed. Sadly here in rural North Dakota not even the churches have choirs. Once a year communities try to put together a regional choir for Christmas, but the participation is dwindling.

Perhaps I should produce a web page as you have where choir directors could sample pieces for performance consideration.

Thanks again for your input and your music. Both are very valuable.

Tom

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast