• Register
  • Help

Topic: Allegro di Molto, J.C. Bach, from the Harpsichord Concerto in E flat Major

Share/Bookmark

Allegro di Molto, J.C. Bach, from the Harpsichord Concerto in E flat Major

Dear friends,

It doesn't occur much lately that I dwell on this lovely forum, but I wanted you all to enjoy the marvellous music of the lesser known Bach offspring.

Allegro di Molto (part I)

Kind regards to all of you!

Max

Re: Allegro di Molto, J.C. Bach, from the Harpsichord Concerto in E flat Major

Sorry that I am this late to recognize your work.
    I think you have the Viennese strings. Regardless, this is truly a great example that in an expert hand excellent music can be performed electronically
    It is just beautiful. It is possible that a very sophisticated listener would recognize it as "electronic", but I tried on three people, all music lovers, and none of them said anything else than it was a great performance, one of them asked the name of the orchestra.
    You mastered the library, and I never heard anybody else having the same VSL library achieving this level you produced.
    Congratulation!

Ted

Thanks Ted,

It's nice to hear such comments, but in fact, it can never be the aim to replace a real orchestra by a virtual one. But thank God we have such wonderful means at hand to produce all that lovely music which otherwise wouldn't have been possible, be it new or ancient compositions. The gems of the old masters are excellent ways to learn how to handle these libraries of virtual instruments. The benefit of all these efforts is, that one can present new work in a decent way to the outside world.

And I'm delighted to say that my "Running Waters" will be performed in Autumn by a Czech orchestra and choir here in Flanders, and after that in the Czech Republic. I'm absolutely thrilled and looking forward to the performance.

Wishing you all the best,

Max

[QUOTE=Max Hamburg;778446]Thanks Ted,

It's nice to hear such comments, but in fact, it can never be the aim to replace a real orchestra by a virtual one. But thank God we have such wonderful means at hand to produce all that lovely music which otherwise wouldn't have been possible, be it new or ancient compositions. The gems of the old masters are excellent ways to learn how to handle these libraries of virtual instruments. The benefit of all these efforts is, that one can present new work in a decent way to the outside world.

And I'm delighted to say that my "Running Waters" will be performed in Autumn by a Czech orchestra and choir here in Flanders, and after that in the Czech Republic. I'm absolutely thrilled and looking forward to the performance.

Wishing you all the best,

Max[/QUOTE)

I am VERY happy for you! It was your choice of that wonderful song and your soul to make it a beautiful piece. Maybe we will be able to hear a recording of the performance?
    Again, it must be great for you, wishing you the best

Ted

Thank you Ted,

It's indeed a great honour to have a work of that size performed. I don't know whether there will be any recording and I don't know whether the instruments will be the very same (the lot of them, harp included) in the performance. They requested the score to study the possibilities.

In the mean time, I continued working on the J.C. Bach Cembalo Concerto. I changed some patches here and there, and added a rather personal 'cadenza' referring to the main theme of the Allegro di Molto. See it more as a funny conclusion in rococo stile to finish part one of the concerto. The spirit of J.C. Bach is reflected in the cadenza, with a wink of course...

Part I with Cadenza (Allegro di motto from the Cembalo Concerto in Eb major, by J.C. Bach)

Enjoy the listen and all the best to you!

Max

I did enjoy it, and your cadenza is brilliant.
    I agree, that we never will replace actual orchestra ( or even just one solo instrument) and that it should not be our aim to fool people. However, it was your work some time ago which made me realize how beautiful it is, that you interpret a classical piece exactly to your own feeling. A conductor of even a good orchestra can not ever do what you can do, controlling all instruments as you wish, the (mostly frustrated) players play as they feel, maybe following the conductor sometimes.
    So, your interpretation is absolutely unique, therefore a great value. I will allow that say 20 years ago, this quality of sound was not possible. Now, I have no problem immersing myself in the music, because it is so close now to reality,that there is no distraction of organ-sounding strings.
    If you have a little time, could you describe how you entered this complex piece, mostly playing it in, or note by note?
    You must be a very capable piano player at least...
    Thanks for you post again

Ted

Hi Ted,

Thanks again for your kind and wise words.

But I have to disappoint you, I'm not a skilled piano player at all, even not a lousy one. I studied the classic accordion and the flute, music analysis and harmony and as a music teacher of course music pedagogics.

My proceedings? I play in (not always) phrase by phrase or I simply enter the notes with quick entry or simple entry (= note by note). Afterwards, I set the note character (= velocity, duration, accents, articulations...) where necessary. When all voices are done, I start the rhythmic interpretation and the dynamic lines (which sometimes can be very complex with tons of dynamic symbols often in a note after note scenario). That would be the final step, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating... Only after a critical listening with headphones and with speakers/monitors, I adjust the balance, the mix, the most fit patches (Vienna offers a lot of possibilities) and the ambience. That can be very time consuming and here, you must be very strict with yourself, not giving in on any half/half result.
    The next phase is letting it rest for a while and coming back to listen again. In most cases, the sound production will alter quite a lot. Because you have listened all the time to the same ambience, you get used to it and don't notice the shortcomings. In the second listening round, they may be a lot more obvious. That usually results in simplifying and reducing.

Sometimes, I don't use a notation programme at all. I enter the notes directly in Logic Pro X and do all the adaptions there. (e.g. the Rameau Contredanse; not one note was written there.)

So, Ted, I hope this gives you an insight in my way of working. At our age, patience is a good companion, as you see.

Friendly regards,
    Max

Thanks for your MO, it makes me even more one of your admirers, apart from the musical expertise, the shear volume of your input is incredible. Also, it teaches me a great deal...
    Thanks again

Ted

Go Back to forum