• Register
  • Help

Topic: Update on my recovery

Share/Bookmark

Update on my recovery

I hope you all are doing well and had a great holiday season.
    It has now been 10 months since my near fatal auto accident with my resulting 5 pelvic fractures, broken ribs and neck and internal bleeding.

I am continuing to improve and I am now on the 100-mile training schedule I used last year, but with shorter miles in the daily runs. I still do the weekly long run that ranges from 15 - 30 eventually. Thursday I did a 25-miler at the wildlife refuge. I had some pain in my right hip, but with walking breaks it lessened. All the accident damage was on the left side. I still do daily home PT - at least one 2-hour session and I often do a second in the afternoon. I have some pain and discomfort every day and often with every step, but I keep going.

I am one week away from flying from Chicago to Poland for the Auschwitz visit.
    The weather will not be bitter cold - mainly in the 30s and maybe snow.
    I am excited, but apprehensive about how I will be feeling at such a terrible place.
    I have read so many books and watched so many movies and documentaries.
    My prior knowledge was pretty light, but now I know more than I would ever want to know.

On January 27, CNN will air a special with Wolf Blitzer at Auschwitz - his family came from that nearby town.
    He will be interviewing Eva Kor - the leader of my trip - who is an Auschwitz survivor and Dr. Mengele twin experiment survivor. She is a wonderful lady and one tough old bird! I will do a report about my trip here in February and probably a YouTube video too.

Moving on.
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Re: Update on my recovery

Great to hear you are back up and running! 30 degrees is nothing compared to the sub-zero's we've been getting, eh? I hope your trip to Auschwitz goes well and that you continue to improve! Best of luck!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Glad to hear the recovery is coming along. Thanks for the update. God speed!!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I am really sorry to hear about your accident. We have too much in common. I sincerely hope that your progress goes very well.

Norman

Really nice to see your post here.

I am full of admiration for the diligence you have applied to your recovery.

Looking forward to hearing how Auschwitz affects you.

I can say for certain that trail runners are a special breed.

I followed an old trial runner up to the summit of Mount Ellinor this summer which is only a 1 1/2 mile hike but has quite the vertical. I had to ask him to take a break half way up or we wouldn’t have stopped. It was his 79th birthday.

It’s great to hear you’re doing so well.

Phil

First, very sorry to hear of your accident. Secondly, happy to hear you are on the road to full recovery! As a first responder, I understand the severity of your incident yet can happily say you are on the right track! God speed and much health to you!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum