• Register
  • Help

Topic: Fantasia for Clarinet by W.F. Rayer

Share/Bookmark

Fantasia for Clarinet by W.F. Rayer

Here is a clarinet solo I composed for my brother, a rather accomplished clarinetist! This piece requires a lot of clarinet skill. It is in the 20th century style. Composed of 3 large sections (A - B - A) with the first and last sections being flamboyant requiring good range, finger technique and fast tonguing. The middle section is reflective and a bit on the minimalistic side. If you enjoyed listening and would like to own a copy visit the site below.

For listening: Fantasia

To purchase: Store

As always,
    Best Regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Fantasia for Clarinet by W.F. Rayer

Since you listened to some of my pieces, you know that this composition of yours is too far ahead of my overly classical ears..
    However, I confess that I enjoyed this piece. Maybe because of my Hungarian background, I hear Bartok in this piece, not implying that you are imitating him, but that you have similar free feelings of music, not walled in by conventional
    harmonies and forms (like I am).
    Thanks for your post

Ted

Hi Bill.

Listening to your works is always an occasion to hear great good music.

And Ted, I think the same of yours, even if it is walled in by conventional harmonies and form.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Hello Ted and Fabio,

Thanks. To me, music isn't just about harmonic structure, but more about the journey of sound. The captivating events that make you want to listen. I too enjoy your music Ted and also yours, Fabio. I feel that if one needs to explain his music so someone can enjoy, that person has missed the point of music.

Thanks for the listen,

best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Hi Bill,

It's been a too long time...

You've put down a very nice clarinet (Garritan?) in a thrilling dialogue with the piano (sound quality a bit thin). From 3'30" on, the dialogue is becoming much more intensive and meaningful. Great inventions there. Although your choice of chords is not really my cup of tea, I really like the overall evolution of the clarinet part. At times, it shows good inspiration and is played very lively. As I've mentioned above, it's sound is more than authentic and with much realism in the articulations. You did a fantastic job here.

A real tribute to the instrument!

Max

Thanks Max,

I've been experimenting with the Aria engine by altering the controls (Low-Mid-High) on each of the instruments, trying to get a more life-like sound.

The chords are not conventional. I have a masters degree in music composition and have studied many composers of the 20th century. My favorites are from the Polish School of the 1950's: Lutoslawski and Penderecki, not that I compose like them, but their music got away (far away) from traditional chord systems.

I'm glad you enjoyed the piece.

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum