• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: HELP! More right signal then left in Giga

Share/Bookmark

HELP! More right signal then left in Giga

I went through checking to see if my Mackie HR824 monitors are balanced and upon many tests found out that they are, but when I listen to instruments in Giga, I always get about 2 to 3 dbs more out of my right side than my left side in Giga when I pan hard right and hard left to compare!
    When I capture to audio into Cool Edit Pro, I notice my right side of my waveform is indeed larger then the left side. The left side doesn\'t even sound nearly as good either. It sounds more washed out and the right side sounds cleaner. I even normalized the left side to be the same size as the right, but still the sound is washed out sounding.
    Is anyone else having this problem? It is definitely within Gigastudio because when I just listen to sounds in Giga, a drumloop for instance, the right side is always hotter then the left side.
    When I do listen to my sterio songs in mono, they do come out even sounding on both speakers, but when in sterio, I have unbalanced sides of left and right waveforms.
    Anybody else have this problem or know what the problem could be?
    My Delta 1010 soundcard is also equally balanced on both left and right.

Re: HELP! More right signal then left in Giga

Does the 1010 mixer have any kind of trim or gain setting for channels in addition to the main fader? When I had this problem that was the culprit -- the trim setting was a little higher on the left channel. Dbl clicking will usually set these controls to their default.

Hope this helps.

Chance

Thanks for responding Chance. The Delta 1010 has a main mixer (monitor mixer) and I\'m using the Waveout 1 and 2. They are both linked to be the same volume, so I don\'t know if that\'s what the problem is. It\'s very weird. It\'s always my left side that sounds weaker.

I haven\'t noticed this, but then again I haven\'t looked for this problem yet - I\'ll do some testing. But, one thing I have noticed is that Gigastudio *seems* to clip before it\'s signal meters indicate that clipping is occurring - perhaps this is related somehow to your problem. I\'ll do some careful testing for both issues tonight.

Greg.

I think it might just be the fact that I pan some instruments to the left and some to the right. I listened to another song and the levels and waveforms appear to be about even, but I still notice when just listening to sounds in Giga that I get more signal out of my right side no matter what sound I load in.

Well, on my system the left and right channels are perfectly balanced. I created a simple GIG that uses a stereo square wave, and both output channels *are* the same level, and sound the same level too.

BUT, what I said about the signal meters appears to be correct - the level that Gigastudio reports isn\'t right. For example, when Gigastudio is outputting the square wave at a (constant) peak level of -12dB, the level meters waver between -6dB and -12dB. On the other hand, the meters on my Delta 66 mixer are rock steady on -12dB, and the same goes for Cool Edit 2000 - it also reports a steady level of -12dB. Gigastudio\'s level meters need some work I think!

Greg.

I forgot to mention that the actual audio file that I recorded for the test was indeed at -12dB. This was recording by looping the S/PDIF output of my Delta 66 (with all mixer sliders set to unity gain), because I am mysteriously suddenly unable to use the Record button in Gigastudio. When I click on it, nothing happens.

Also, I tried a mono version of the GIG, and I enabled it for two MIDI channels, with each channel being panned hard left & right.
    I then played both channels simultaneously. This too worked ok - the levels of left & right were identical. So I don\'t seem to have the same problem as you do. (for what it\'s worth)

Greg.

[This message has been edited by Greg Sullivan (edited 04-02-2001).]

I have had the same problem and decided that it is gig file dependent... I think its just how the files were recorded.... I have an sblive card on my independent giga machine, so I don\'t think this phenomenon is sound card dependent.

Let me know if you get any more info on this one.

e$

The problem is within Cakewalk. I listened to a drumloop sample by itself in Giga and the levels were balanced. I then launched Cakewalk and recorded a midi file of the drum loop. It was about 2 dbs softer in the left side meaning that when cakewalk says that it is panned even (64) it really isn\'t. I adjusted the pan to 57 (left side) and the levels became just about even. Very annoying seeing how all of my mixed down songs in Cool Edit Pro are actually panned 7 percent more to the right side now .
    Have any of you Cakewalk users noticed this problem?

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 04-02-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg Sullivan:
    I haven\'t noticed this, but then again I haven\'t looked for this problem yet - I\'ll do some testing. But, one thing I have noticed is that Gigastudio *seems* to clip before it\'s signal meters indicate that clipping is occurring - perhaps this is related somehow to your problem. I\'ll do some careful testing for both issues tonight.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greg, The Giga meters actually show MIDI velocity values on each channel and not audio level. So they don\'t relate to clipping. This is peculiarly unclear from the Giga screen. - Doug

Go Back to forum