• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Question About Dynamics

A Question About Dynamics

Been away from this forum for a while. Sold a screenplay. Lots of other stuff going on. I am pretty much finished orchestrating my score. I am spending what little free time I have polishing a demo (or what will suffice for a demo until I can afford to hire singers).

I have a question about the changes to timber and other characteristics that some instruments exhibit when the volume changes. For example, on my French Horn sample library, when the value of cc7 gets to about 100 or more, it sounds very brassy and buzzy (which is very nice for some passages in my piece, though less desirable and less what I think of as horn-like in most others). I have noticed with this library and some others that there are crossfaded instruments where the transition between such changes can be made more subtle. I would just like to know if this is how a real instrument behaves. To use the example of the French Horn again, if the part is getting progressively louder, would the brassier sound I described gradually increase, or does it suddenly kick in at a certain decibel level?

Perhaps a simpler way to ask this question is: Should I be using crossfaded instruments if they are available in the library I have?

Allegro Data Solutions

Re: A Question About Dynamics

There are instruments whose timbral behaviour can change at different dynamics, or depending by the range they are played in.

A sample library that lets you perform crossfades between dynamics sounds more natural than one that "steps" from one dynamic layer to another — if there's still around one that works this way.

In my experience, you can achieve good results layering Garritan French horns with their Overlay counterparts doing their job as you turn your modwheel up.

Congratulations for your script deal.
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Got it. Use the crossfaded instruments. Thanks.

Allegro Data Solutions

Hi ejr.
    I edited the OP a little, mainly for making it more readable in English.
    If you are interested in, I can post some audio examples for it.
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Both your replies seemed perfectly understandable to me. (BTW - All my ancestors were from Italy. I still have family in Abruzzo and Rome. But my parents and grandparents discouraged those in my generation from learning Italian. They wanted us to be American.)

I am always interested in listening to samples. (I assume other forum members would be as well).

Allegro Data Solutions

Go Back to forum