• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is there any way how to speed up slow attacks?

Share/Bookmark

Is there any way how to speed up slow attacks?

Is it possible somehow to speed up slow attack of an instrument in GS editor - in the case the \"attack\" parameter is allready 0 (if there is some attack parameter above 0, attack could be of course speeded up with decreasing this value)?. For example Dan Dean solo Violin or Vitous Violins have too slow attack, but the attack parameter 0. Is somehow possible in GS Editor to speed up slow attack, even if there is yet 0?

Re: Is there any way how to speed up slow attacks?

Dis

There are at least two elements which determine the attack time of a sample in Giga.

One is, as you rightly suggest, the attack time.

The other is the performance. If the original recording had a crescendo in it, you can\'t speed it up with the envelope controls.

What you may wish to do is edit the slow attack portion off each sample, using a sample editor such as Cool Edit or Wavelab, and then cover up the edit with a slightly slow attack on the envelope generator. It doesn\'t have to be much, and sometimes it sounds fine.

I think that would be way to much work having to edit each attack in Cool Edit Pro then import it back into Giga editor and assign in to each note.
    I think that would be a cool new feature Giga might want to consider in the future. Some kind of way to adjust attck times even if the samples were already recorded with slow attacks. That seems to be a common problem with string samples especially.

Something I have done is to start each note a little before the time I want it to sound, and use CC11 to fade it in at the right time. That\'s not as much work as editing the attack off each sample, because it can be automated. In Cakewalk you can make CAL scripts to 1. split a line between two tracks, 2. back up each note a few ticks, and 3. add some appropriate CC11\'s at the start of each note. It still takes a fair amount of monkeying around to find the right number of ticks and the best way to fade in. It would help if the editor would let you say \"always start playing this sample from sample # X,\" but it seems like there would always have to be a fair amount of experimentation with individual notes, if only because the attack profile on each sample is slightly different.

Bill Clark http://www.mp3.com/BillClark

Thanks for suggestions.

Damon: Yes it would be a good feature for GS in the future.

Go Back to forum