• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: W.A. Mozart, Menuet in B flat major

Share/Bookmark

W.A. Mozart, Menuet in B flat major

Hi friends of music,

Here's another Little marvel by Mozart: one of his many menuets. For this one, I've used the VSL Dimension Strings divided like 4-4-2-1 (no violas) with flutes, clarinets, oboe, bassoons, horns, also VSL.
    The new thing here is, that I haven't used a notation program for the very first time. Everything was done in Logic Pro X without any note. (A score was pretty useless, because there are so many written scores of this famous music out there).

Menuet in B flat major, KV 599/4

Enjoy the listen,

Max

Re: W.A. Mozart, Menuet in B flat major

Your best sounding strings until now!
    And a lovely oboe and bassoon playing
    (the oboe sounds a bit late on the grid
    from here).
    Conducting is also A-Class.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Your best sounding strings until now!
    And a lovely oboe and bassoon playing
    (the oboe sounds a bit late on the grid
    from here).
    Conducting is also A-Class.
    Thanks Fabio.

This is probably because no sound was produced by Notion. All the instruments are only in Logic and performed from there. In my experience (and of some other Notion users), the export Wav. files from Notion are of medium quality and make it hard to let them sound in an acceptable way. It's a fantastic notation and perform program, but somehow the internal recordings don't meet our standards.

Max

Just can not go by and not praise your work. Every time I hear what you are doing is a new experience of the music you interpret. Your understanding of the composition, the instruments and the playing of the instruments astound me.
    Again, I know that your aim is not to "fool" anybody, but you do succeed so well that it could make someone believe that it is a "real" orchestra playing. And, again, I compared your work with real performance and found your personal feeling come forth as you are conducting the music.
    Love your work!
    PS: What do you mean "without any note"?

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Just can not go by and not praise your work. Every time I hear what you are doing is a new experience of the music you interpret. Your understanding of the composition, the instruments and the playing of the instruments astound me.
    Again, I know that your aim is not to "fool" anybody, but you do succeed so well that it could make someone believe that it is a "real" orchestra playing. And, again, I compared your work with real performance and found your personal feeling come forth as you are conducting the music.
    Love your work!
    PS: What do you mean "without any note"?

Ted
    Thanks Ted for your kind words.

With "no notes" doesn't imply that no notes were involved of course. Mozart wrote all the music, made the arrangement, gave some hints as to performance... All this was written down in his score. As we have acces to all kinds of scores nowadays through the internet, it is no longer our concern to write these notes ourselves. That means that it is no longer necessary to use a notation program (anyway not for that kind of re-performing existing music). Entering the music (either played on keyboard or put in a piano roll) in a DAW is a totally different approach (and pretty new to me). That is why I do these versions of the classics, to learn in fact. And Mozart has helped me a lot. If he had such a tool in his masterful hands, he undoubtedly would have written a lot more masterpieces...

I'm glad you liked it.
    Friendly,
    Max

Very nice sounding recording indeed, Max!

Well balanced and well articulated.

Do I understand it right that you did play this live on the keyboard, instead of arranging the music through a notation program? Your comment about notes seems to indicate this, but maybe I misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdbehringer View Post
    Very nice sounding recording indeed, Max!

Well balanced and well articulated.

Do I understand it right that you did play this live on the keyboard, instead of arranging the music through a notation program? Your comment about notes seems to indicate this, but maybe I misunderstood.
    You did understand it correctly. No notation program involved here. I played every note with the keyboard, recorded by Logic Pro X. (But I have to say that I'm a lousy piano player, so there was a lot of tweaking and correcting - manly velocities - afterwards.) I still have problems with scores without visible notes, although Logic provides a visual score, but this is in most cases a real mess (every single note is being recorded as it was played, so you can guess that such a score is completely useless for a performer. Most DAWs are rather clumsy as to engraving).

Thanks for listening,
    Max

I am also a "lousy" piano-player, worst than you Max, so I have tried to do the way you are doing it, but found that the corrections of my playing takes longer than entering notes. Sonar X3 has a feature when selecting a note "last time touched" which is making entering much quicker, I can just touch a note with the desired length and the note I enter will be that length. Of course, velocities are entered always the same, but I found it easy to set them correctly in drawing them in in piano roll view.
    I also can see, that how you are doing it getting better results than I get. Of course we have to add to that, that I am using GPO4, not your VSL beauty's....
    Again, congratulation

Ted

Hi Ted,

Let's organise a contest to find the 'lousiest' pianist...
    I think it is almost impossible to enter the notes in a DAW with the precision needed to create a credible performance afterwards. Maybe some very skilled players can come close enough, but then still the keyboard must have a detailed response and precision to send all that information correctly to the DAW. In other words, we all have to do tons of corrections after the entering (length, velocities, real pitch corrections...), but that is part of the creative process and provides us with the possibility to make the music live. No musician can play two consequent notes exactly the same way.
    And yes, the VSL instruments make it possible to use lots of played techniques and articulations other then technically prepared ones. Using them correctly is a matter of knowing the techniques, the instruments and the interactions. That requires a lot of patience and practice. There are so many examples out there which are a lot better than my tryings, but as I said, practice is the best way to learn. And let's honour old Garritan for his products, they are really top quality and relatively easy to use without too much knowledge of midi tweaking.

Cheers Ted,

Max

To support my claim to the "lousy piano playing champion", I had to play the organ for admission to Liszt Academy, I foolishly played Bach d-minor. When I finished, the prof bid me to stay at the organ, got other members of the faculty and made my play the same again. Then he said I will be admitted and said:"I never heard this piece played this well with so atrocious fingering as you displayed!"
    So, the crown is mine.

Ted

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast