• Register
  • Help

Topic: Aria In Windows

Share/Bookmark

Aria In Windows

I have all my Garritan libraies installed on my new Mac on the OSX boot drive and am now attempting to install Aria as a plugin to use with the Windows 7 boot drive with the Windows version of Metro 7 (DAW). I have GPO and Garritan Harps working in the stand-alone application of Aria but Aria dosen't show up as a VST plugin in Metro 7. I can see in the boot drive program files folder there is a vstplugins folder and in it is a Garritan folder and in it are four Aria Player VST plugins.

Is that the correct configuration?

Also, Iv'e experienced a problem in both OSX and Windows with older versions of Aria that come with the different libraies writing over the newer version while doing the installations. I don't understand why MM doesn't update the Aria Player for all the user libraies downloads or at least have the newest versions of Aria and the Aria engine and related current files available as a separate download on the user libraries download page.

I also had to search the internet for some sort of update for the Garritan CFX Grand before it would function. I think this all could be a little better thought out and organized.

Installing and authorizing Kontakt and the Kontakt libraies is now pretty much automated. It only took a few minutes where as having to download and hassling with the Grarritan products to get them to work took hours.

Re: Aria In Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    I have never been able to get Aria or Garritan Libraries to work (leave alone function) in Kontakt. I have tried repeatedly, but my feeble brain cannot comprehend how to do it. I finally just gave up and am not currently using DAW of any kind.
    Actually, I think the only Garritan products that can still be used in Kontakt are the Strad and the Gofriller. Also maybe some of the the older versions of the early Garritan products. Both Aria and Kontakt are sample hosts that function within a software DAW.

I'm trying to get my Windows 7 DAW (Metro 7) to recognize the Garritan Aria VST files that have been places in what looks like the default folder for VSTs in Windows 7.

This function nothing to do with Kontakt, just Aria.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    According to those who are supposed to know (said tongue solidly I cheek) I am supposed to be able to load Garritan samples into ARIA and then load Aria into Kontakt and all should work just ducky. Sadly, my ducks don't seem to get into a row.
    That ain't gonna work. You cannot load Aria into Kontakt.

Kontakt uses it's own proprietary nki instrument file system. Aria is base on the open source SFZ file format.

I am not really understanding what this discussion is all about. Kontakt and ARIA are basically the same "Type" of program. You load a sample set into them and you use those sample sets in a DAW or stand alone player to produce musical sounds. ARIA uses its own proprietary set of samples as does Kontakt. One set of samples will not work in the other company's sound engine.

There are ARIA engines for both Mac and Windows. So, I don't understand why the discussion of Kontakt and ARIA when the topic is about ARIA in Windows.

Totally confused,
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post

There are ARIA engines for both Mac and Windows. So, I don't understand why the discussion of Kontakt and ARIA when the topic is about ARIA in Windows.

Totally confused,
    Yes, it has diverted somewhat from the orginal post question. lol

I did solve my VST instrument issue by configuring the correct file path inside of Metro 7 instead of the Windows default path. In Mac OSX the VST instruments are always loaded into a VST folder in the Metro 7 folder. Once there they are automatically available in the Metro 7 Plugins Window.

Go Back to forum