• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to map a bunch of waves to a gig?

Share/Bookmark

How to map a bunch of waves to a gig?

I want to map a bunch of waves chromatically on the keyboard. These are non pitch-mapped samples, e.g. drums. I can\'t get the instrument wizard to do this correctly for love or money.

Heres the process I follow:
    1. Import a bunch of stereo waves into the wave pool.
    2. Click instrument wizard.
    3. In step 1 name instrument
    4. In step 2 set start and end notes to cover x half steps (for x samples). Select \'Create region every 1 half step\'. Check \'Ignore unity notes\'.
    5. In step 3 check \'Stereo\' box.
    6. In step 4 select \'0-127\'.
    Finish.

Results:
    x regions are created at half step intervals, (x can be any number, I\'ve tried from 24 - 72).
    BUT, samples are not mapped chromatically. I get most samples mapped to a 3 note range (3 regions), some to a 2 note range, and about 2/3 of the samples in the wave pool not mapped at all. Yes, ALL the waves are stereo.

With all mono samples things really go to hell. Sometimes NONE of the samples are mapped and after finishing the wizard I get a msg box saying \"x mono regions could not be mapped, possibly because the corresponding sample was stereo\", even though all the samples are mono. Other times I\'ve gotten one sample mapped to all x regions. A nightmare.

I\'ve given up and gone to dragging samples individually from the wave pool onto the region\'s velocity map, but what a pain! Can anyone help or this thing just a bugfest?

Tnx,

Chance

Re: How to map a bunch of waves to a gig?

Sounds right to me.
    Iv\'e been doing the same thing for the past 2 weeks, and although the editor is pretty
    annoying, it gets the job done.
    Good Luck!
    Steve

Have you discussed this to Nemesys tech support, as this behavior is not the way the program works, nor have I ever experienced this in three years of using it.

Also, you should know that with the brand new version 2.2, in the Distributed Wave window you can build kits on the fly just by dragging a group of samples from the QuickSound window (using shift - mouse select) into the Distrib wave window. The samples are automatically keymapped (starting from the little arrow on the keyboard display, which you can change with the right mouse button). Then you can save as a Distributed wave collection or you can convert it to .gig (using the right mouse menu option in either the Dist wave \'Loaded Waves\' or \'Wave Palette\').

This gets very interesting when you have huge amounts of QuickSound wave files, either drum hits, sound effects, etc., and use QuickSound to find the exact hits, for example
    \"door open metal not (car or appliance)\"

So, within just a few seconds you could a.) search through a database of hundreds of Gigabytes of sounds based on very specific search criteria, b.)automatically keymap a large group of these (up to 88 of them if you want to play them via your 88 note controller) c.)play them interactively against the scene or each other to find \'keeper\' takes d.) Add the keeper ones to the Wave Palette and e.) save the collection as .dwc or \"Build Gig from Palette Waves\" or \"Build Gig from Loaded Waves\".

Another cool thing is that as soon as you drag the sounds into the Loaded Waves window, the Control Surface (Tab right next to Distributed Wave)is automatically setup with some useful filter, LFO, and envelope time modulation parameters. Of course the pitch wheel is also initialized so that you can quickly try out different transpositions on your hits.

So the simple way is just two steps 1.) drag the waves into the distributed wave window and 2.)\"Build Gig file from Loaded Waves\"

The Gig is then loaded automatically into the next available channel, for bussing to a particular output bus, mixing or effects in DSP Station, or if you wish to further edit with the Editor.

You can also use the editor\'s \"Merge file\" and \"Combine Instruments\" feature on these new Gigs to add articulation switching or layering.

Nonetheless, the Editor is also greatly improved in GigaStudio version 2.2 and I would recommend all registered GigaStudio users to upgrade (FREE to registered users), and all GigaSampler users to upgrade to GigaStudio version 2.2.

That\'s great Jim. It makes the distributed wave window much more practical!

Go Back to forum