• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ableton- midi-audio?

Share/Bookmark

Ableton- midi-audio?

I've recently been able to update an old unused version of Ableton Live to the latest and greatest (v9). Now, I confess that I have not used it, but I wonder if anyone here has any experience exporting Make Music files from PM or Finale into Ableton Live and is the learning curve worthwhile....?

My current workflow is create in Finale, export audio tracks individually in to Reaper, and mixdown from there, but I'm finding Reaper a very large tool for the process, and wondering if anyone's done anything similar with Ableton Live. If so, were the results worth the effort, or should I stay with the more traditional DAW?

K
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Re: Ableton- midi-audio?

I have tried Ableton in the past and found it awkward for the type of music I compose and my style of work flow. It seems to be better suited to loop based samples. This, of course, is my opinion and others who may use Ableton will be better suited to help you.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I have tried Ableton in the past and found it awkward for the type of music I compose and my style of work flow. It seems to be better suited to loop based samples. This, of course, is my opinion and others who may use Ableton will be better suited to help you.
    I've read that Ableton has improved midi functionality with it's latest upgrades but I don't know how it stacks up against MIDI in other DAWs.

I do know of one professional sound track composer who uses it with good results but even though they have some formal music structure back ground, I think they work strictly with midi files to audio. They originally were using Abelton for loop type pop music but moved into sound track work like other pop/rock folks and are able to make it work for them.

But I thought one usually exports midi files from a notation program and uses those midi files in DAW software to refine the sound and render to audio. If you just want to manipulate audio files exported from a notation program then maybe the free Audacity would work for you.

Can you export MIDI from Finale to either Ableton or to your DAW? The initial mix down is better in MIDI, finishing the exported audio in REAPER or Audacity. Of course you can export MIDI from most DAW ( and probably from Finale too), using the file type *.mid instead the usual file form of the DAW you are using.
    Forgive if I am yapping about something you already know...

Ted

Go Back to forum