• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Topic: "Im Märzen der Bauer"

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    "Im Märzen der Bauer"

    Hello friends,

    The month of March has begun, and so I have revisited an old recording of mine from 2002/2003, where I had arranged the old German folk song "Im Märzen der Bauer". This is using GPO4; the part that is usually sung is played by a combination of solo strings.

    The recording is here:
    https://virtualphilharmonic.bandcamp...rman-folk-song

    A bit more information and the lyrics can be found here on my blog:
    Reinhold Behringer's Music: "Im M

    I hope you enjoy it - happy meteorologic beginning of spring (1.March) !

  2. #2

    Re: "Im Märzen der Bauer"

    That is a lovely song. You must have spent a lot of money hiring all of those real musicians. Well, they DO sound realistic.

    What does the title translate to in English?

    Thanks for sharing it with us. Danke schoen!

    Larry

  3. #3

    Re: "Im Märzen der Bauer"

    Quote Originally Posted by larryalex1 View Post
    That is a lovely song. You must have spent a lot of money hiring all of those real musicians. Well, they DO sound realistic.

    What does the title translate to in English?

    Thanks for sharing it with us. Danke schoen!

    Larry

    Thank you very much, Larry!

    The whole first line of the first verse is "Im Märzen der Bauer die Rößlein einspannt", translated as "In March the farmer harnesses the horses". The text toes on describing farming activity. A translation of all of the four verses has been made by David Solomons (c) 2012:

    Im Märzen der Bauer die Rösslein einspannt,
    er bringt seine Felder und Wiesen instand,
    In March comes the farmer to harness his team
    He makes his fields ready as well he may deem

    er ackert, er egget, er pflüget, er sät
    und regt seine Hände von Morgen bis spät.
    He ploughs and he harrows and sows all his seeds
    From dawn up to dusk then to labour he needs


    Den Rechen den Spaten den nimmt er zur Hand
    und setzet die Wiesen in ebenen Stand.
    He takes up the rake and the spade in his hand
    And levels the meadows he has on his land

    Auch pfropft er die Bäume mit edleren Reis
    und spart weder Arbeit noch Mühe und Fleiss.
    He also grafts new twigs onto his fine trees
    It takes all his effort, his work doesn't cease.


    Die Knechte und Mägde und all sein Gesind,
    das regt und bewegt sich wie er so geschwind
    The farmhands and maids and his workers all there
    Keep busy as he does his work for to share.

    Sie singen manch munteres fröhliches Lied
    und freun sich von Herzen wenn alles schon blüht.
    They sing lots of songs that are merry and bright
    And when all is blooming it gives them delight.


    Und ist dann der Frühling und Sommer vorbei,
    so füllet die Scheuer der Herbst wieder neu;
    Now when the spring season and summer are past
    The autumn will fill his great barn then at last

    und ist voll die Scheuer, voll Keller und Haus,
    dann gibt's auch im Winter manch fröhlichen Schmaus..
    And once barn and cellar and house are well filled
    There is jolly feasting when winter has chilled.

  4. #4

    Re: "Im Märzen der Bauer"

    Danke, mein Herr. Thank you for the translation.

    Best,

    Larry

  5. #5

    Re: "Im Märzen der Bauer"

    Hi Reinhold,

    This is a nice surprise. At first, I thought of old Haydn, inserting a new piece in his Jahreszeiten. Very lovely orchestration! You left Haydn around 4' with a anachronistic harmony for a while...

    The strange thing about this songs is, that we know it (in Flanders) as a Sankt Niklaussong. The holy man bringing sweets and toys for the children.

    I enjoyed your Bauersong. Thanks for sharing.

    Max

  6. #6

    Re: "Im Märzen der Bauer"

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Reinhold,

    This is a nice surprise. At first, I thought of old Haydn, inserting a new piece in his Jahreszeiten. Very lovely orchestration! You left Haydn around 4' with a anachronistic harmony for a while...

    The strange thing about this songs is, that we know it (in Flanders) as a Sankt Niklaussong. The holy man bringing sweets and toys for the children.

    I enjoyed your Bauersong. Thanks for sharing.

    Max

    Hi Max,

    thank you for listening and for your comments! Interesting that you noted a connection to Haydn... I was not consciously making this connection, although most of the music I write has somehow a connection to the past and often is a consequence of melodies and harmonies that I may have heard sometime. And many years ago I did listen to Haydn's music a lot, so I probably have incorporated is into my own musical language

    Interesting that the melody is also in a Saint Niklaussong in Flanders - I did not know that.

    This site here:
    Im Märzen der Bauer die Rößlein einspannt
    gives some other hints about the origin and use of the melody:

    ähnlich "Wann d' Hoffnung nicht wär" in Valentin Rathgebers "Tafel-Confect" II, Augsburg 1737. In Moll stehen die ersten 4 Takte im 1. Minuet von W. A. Mozarts "Haffner-Serenade" (Köchel-Verz. Nr. 250), Salzburg 1776

    translated: similar "When hope would not be" in Valentin Rathgeber's "Tafel-Confect" II, Augsburg 1737. In minor are the first 4 measures in the first Menuet of W.A. Mozart's "Haffner-Serenade" (KV 250), Salzburg 1776

  7. #7

    Re: "Im Märzen der Bauer"

    Hi Reinhold,


    Solche historischen Hinweise finde ich besonders interessant.... Entschuldigung, translation:

    Historical connotations of that kind are pretty interesting to me. I did a lot of research about 17th and 18th music in the Flemish archives, bundled in all kinds of little books filled by amateurs. They collected popular tunes of their time, sometimes original, some lend from existing works, some copied from commonly known and frequently performed masterpieces. The strange thing is, that the 'ordinary' people had knowledge of the 'upper and middle class' music played in concert halls and opera houses. A lot of contradances are simply taken from opera ballets... Some tunes appear in many different forms and shapes.

    Here's an example of such a tune (which I found in a single melody line and arranged it for my chamber ensemble as a Waltz). I wonder whether you could localise it:

    Guess what you hear... and enjoy this tune 'from the street'.

    Max

  8. #8

    Re: "Im Märzen der Bauer"

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Reinhold,


    Solche historischen Hinweise finde ich besonders interessant.... Entschuldigung, translation:

    Historical connotations of that kind are pretty interesting to me. I did a lot of research about 17th and 18th music in the Flemish archives, bundled in all kinds of little books filled by amateurs. They collected popular tunes of their time, sometimes original, some lend from existing works, some copied from commonly known and frequently performed masterpieces. The strange thing is, that the 'ordinary' people had knowledge of the 'upper and middle class' music played in concert halls and opera houses. A lot of contradances are simply taken from opera ballets... Some tunes appear in many different forms and shapes.

    Here's an example of such a tune (which I found in a single melody line and arranged it for my chamber ensemble as a Waltz). I wonder whether you could localise it:

    Guess what you hear... and enjoy this tune 'from the street'.

    Max



    Wonderful recording, Max!
    Sounds very lifelike, well phrased, and superb arrangement!

    But I cannot locate it... it sounds very familiar, but I cannot pinpoint to where I know this from...

  9. #9

    Re: "Im Märzen der Bauer"

    Quote Originally Posted by reinholdbehringer View Post
    Wonderful recording, Max!
    Sounds very lifelike, well phrased, and superb arrangement!

    But I cannot locate it... it sounds very familiar, but I cannot pinpoint to where I know this from...
    Hi Reinhold,

    It is not only lifelike, it IS live music, played by real musicians... Recorded in 1998 in Gent.

    Hint: the author of the collection I took it from was obviously familiar with Mozart operas...

    Max

  10. #10

    Re: "Im Märzen der Bauer"

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Reinhold,

    It is not only lifelike, it IS live music, played by real musicians... Recorded in 1998 in Gent.

    Hint: the author of the collection I took it from was obviously familiar with Mozart operas...

    Max

    Ha, this explains the lifelike sound

    Yes, I thought I heard some Mozartish phrase there, something from the Kleine Nachtmusik in the beginning. But I am not familiar much with Mozart's operas...

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •