• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Windows XP (2000 upgrade) coming in Oct!

Share/Bookmark

Windows XP (2000 upgrade) coming in Oct!

\"Windows XP will go on sale in stores Oct. 29, sources familiar with Microsoft\'s product plans told CNET News.com late Friday\"

Of course that date will most likely be pushed back, but they are trying to meet the christmas PC season to boost sagging profits so it shouldn\'t be pushed back too far.

Nemesys has been claiming they will have Windows 2000 support when the next version of it, XP, comes out. Let\'s see if they will actually deliver it this time veris the broken \"end of last summer\" promise they made early last year.

GigaStudio XP on the way!!!!!! Let us take a moment of silence for the death of crappy DOS based Win95/98/ME family...

Re: Windows XP (2000 upgrade) coming in Oct!

Would it be possible to issue a beta upgrade patch? I have windows XP now in beta 2, but I will not install it until I know that Gigastudio will be compatable.

I highly suspect Nemesys won\'t release an XP version until XP has been out for a while.

RATS!

I\'m probably wrong, but I thought I read in an article that XP was supposed to \'emulate\' the other Windows 9x/Me Versions.. if so... you think GigaStudio will run under XP?????

------------------
    [ Joscci ]
    joscci76@aol.com

GigaStudio will have to be written for XP or 2000. These operating systems do not allow programs to access the kernel (ring 0) directly. Gigastudio has low level drivers to allow the streaming of audio from the hard drive. 95/ME programs that stay up in Ring 3 at all times will operate fine. GigaStudio works in both Ring 0 & 3 which is not allowed in XP or 2000.

Let us hope that a beta update will be released soon. Someone needs to test it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by esperlad:
    Let us hope that a beta update will be released soon. Someone needs to test it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Giga is a black box solution, not designed to keep up with the latest OS upgrades. The sooner everyone realizes and accepts this the better.

-david abraham

My akai sampler does not support win3.11 yet. Anybody knows where to get an upgrade?

\"Giga is a black box solution, not designed to keep up with the latest OS upgrades. The sooner everyone realizes and accepts this the better.\"

I would disagree with that. Win98 is a piece of crap OS that is built upon a patched up DOS OS originally written for the very first pc 15 years ago or whatever. Using that OS is painful unless you want to buy a second computer just for GigaStudio.

Win2000, soon to be WinXP, used to be WinNT, is the fully 32-bit from the ground up MS OS that actually is stable and usable without fear of the blue screen of death.

Cakewalk has come out with Sonar that includes an DXi interface for real time effects, analog synth emulators, samplers, etc. If Cakewalk can get the latency down to 10ms with a good soundcard using the WDM drivers, why can\'t GigaStudio? I for one would love to have the option of using WDM drivers and having a slightly higher latency if I could then use a real OS that I would rather be booted up in anyway. I refuse to buy a second computer when the one I have now can do GigaStudio, Sonar, real time effects, and direct to disk recording at the same time with no problems while staying 100% digital.

If I wanted a black box solution, I would buy the hardware version of GigaStudio. WinME\'s days as a supported OS are numbered, Win95 has already been dropped by MS. After October all new Windows computers will come with XP. Nemesys has been saying for years now that they will have Win2k support, this fall they better get XP support or every computer sold will not be GigaStudio compatible.

My somewhat long 2 cents...

Go Back to forum