• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Bela Bartok: Rhapsody No 1 (now completed with both movements)

Share/Bookmark

Bela Bartok: Rhapsody No 1 (now completed with both movements)

Dear friends,

on 25 March is Bela Bartok's 134th birthday. For this occasion I have now completed my recording of Rhapsody No.1. The first movement ("Lassu") I already had in an earlier version. Did now revise the tempi to slow it slightly down.
    Now also the 2nd movement ("Friss") is complete. This is my first recording of this second movement. It was quite challenging in some of the sections - needs still some work.

Here are both movements:
    https://virtualphilharmonic.bandcamp...sody-no-1-1928

I hope you enjoy this music!

Re: Bela Bartok: Rhapsody No 1 (now completed with both movements)

Hi Reinhold,

The Bartok music is fantastic. So simple and yet so different. The Hungarian soul is so touchable in every single note. You have understood very well how to capture and render that soul in your transcription. I enjoyed it immensely!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Reinhold,

The Bartok music is fantastic. So simple and yet so different. The Hungarian soul is so touchable in every single note. You have understood very well how to capture and render that soul in your transcription. I enjoyed it immensely!

Max
    Thank you very much, Max!
    I am very glad that you like my rendition of this music. I feel that it bridges nicely the traditional late-romantic idiom and the more progressive 20th century musical "language". This was the first orchestral work by Bartok that I got introduced to after playing some of his piano works in 1980, and it has led me to his other compositions. The "Concert for Orchestra" is still on my to-do-list.

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdbehringer View Post
    Thank you very much, Max!
    I am very glad that you like my rendition of this music. I feel that it bridges nicely the traditional late-romantic idiom and the more progressive 20th century musical "language". This was the first orchestral work by Bartok that I got introduced to after playing some of his piano works in 1980, and it has led me to his other compositions. The "Concert for Orchestra" is still on my to-do-list.
    It is obvious that you understand his idiom. As you mention it: late romanticism and the new experimental harmonies of the early 20th century, without the aggressive dissonant cluster harmony.
    Max

I could not help, I had to reply to this work of Reinhold.
    As always, a great job, with class!
    However, (it is not a "but", only a Hungarian's suggestion!), I think you can make it even better if you wish.
    In my opinion you should listen again, and try to pick up the melody line of Bela. He hides it, because he "improvised" over the original folk-melody, enhancing, extending and creating variations on it.
    Your recording, especially of the Lassu, overshadows the melodies with the accompanying instruments much too often. The most beautiful violin solo is hard to hearIf you wish, try to cut back volume on the whole project, then increase volume on parts you select as an important melody line and see if you like it this way more.
    Knowing you, I am confident that you will not feel I am criticizing, simply I admire your work, and wish to help with my 2 cent worth.(Lassu means slow, Friss means not necessarily fast, but "springy" and "fresh". The lassu is a dignified dance, mostly performed by men, the friss is having fun, quite freely and mostly as pairs dancing)

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I could not help, I had to reply to this work of Reinhold.
    As always, a great job, with class!
    However, (it is not a "but", only a Hungarian's suggestion!), I think you can make it even better if you wish.
    In my opinion you should listen again, and try to pick up the melody line of Bela. He hides it, because he "improvised" over the original folk-melody, enhancing, extending and creating variations on it.
    Your recording, especially of the Lassu, overshadows the melodies with the accompanying instruments much too often. The most beautiful violin solo is hard to hearIf you wish, try to cut back volume on the whole project, then increase volume on parts you select as an important melody line and see if you like it this way more.
    Knowing you, I am confident that you will not feel I am criticizing, simply I admire your work, and wish to help with my 2 cent worth.(Lassu means slow, Friss means not necessarily fast, but "springy" and "fresh". The lassu is a dignified dance, mostly performed by men, the friss is having fun, quite freely and mostly as pairs dancing)

Ted
    Hi Ted,

this is great constructive feedback - thank you very much!
    I have revised both movements a bit, following your suggestions. There had actually been a problem: they both had different reverb settings. I changed now the reverb on Lassu from Concert Hall 1 (which is way too lush) to the more poignant Concert Hall 2, and on Friss I changed it from Ballroom 1 to Concert Hall 2. So the sound environment of the two movements is now the same.

The volume for the solo violin track was already at max in both movements. I did increase the reverb on the solo violin (Violin 1 = Stradivari), hereby giving the sound a bit more body, and I did reduce the track volume of most other instruments slightly.

Also did a few minor tempo chances in Friss, but it is still not as smooth as I want it to be...
    And I edited a few notes in Friss in the violin which had too little attack. Now the violin voice should stand out a bit better.

I hope these small changes make the recording of both movements a bit better. Since I do not know the original underlying Hungarian melody, I am only hearing the overall sound and the harmonies - and I was always fascinated by those harmonies, since the time I heard this music for the very first time in 1980. That is probably why I did not put much effort in finding and highlighting this melody. But let me know if with these changes it is more appropriate to what you would prefer in this music.

Wow!
    Brilliant!
    You are hereby declared an honorary Hungarian!
    What a difference. Your work deserved my puny comment and I am proud of myself that I inspired in you this change!
    (Just kidding!).

I hope you like it much better too, as should anybody who listen.
    Congratulation.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Wow!
    Brilliant!
    You are hereby declared an honorary Hungarian!
    What a difference. Your work deserved my puny comment and I am proud of myself that I inspired in you this change!
    (Just kidding!).

I hope you like it much better too, as should anybody who listen.
    Congratulation.

Ted

Thank you, Ted!

Yes, of course I like the new versions better than before! When I am working on a music for a while, I sometimes do not hear anymore what should be improved. So it is great to have some other pairs of ears who listen freshly and can give valuable advice!

And again, it is Bela Bartok's birthday anniversary, on 25 March.

I have taken both movement of the Rhapsody #1 and have converted it to GPO5 sounds. That is, just the same sounds as GPO4, but through the GPO5 collection. Even though the sounds are basically the same, I think that the GPO5 versions have been slightly modified - overall the strings sounds smoother.

Nothing else was changed since the previous version - same tempo, same balance of sounds.

https://virtualphilharmonic.bandcamp...sody-no-1-1928

I have praised this work earlier. Now you made it even better with GPO5. I was listening and my Hungarian soul enjoyed the whole. But, the last solo violin of the Fresh, was so touching, I had to listen to it 3 times.
    Great. Great. Great Rheinhold.
    Ted

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast