• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Giga Crashes all the time

Share/Bookmark

Giga Crashes all the time

Hello:

I use Performer to run everything (not because I like it, but because I have to). Gigastudio crashes alot; it seems to be based on how many samples are sounding at the same time.

For instance: I\'ve had as few as 5 samples sounding simultaneously; nothing too complex. Then I add advanced orchestra ORCHESTRAL BELLS and Gigastudio crashes.

I\'ve also had it screw up (making weird string noises) when only ONE sample is going...the Gigapiano that comes with it. If you play something in a fast tempo does it make Gigastudio crash?

What makes it crash all the time? Shouldn\'t you be able to use 64 different voices? Do you have to play only slow and crappy things for it to work? My CPU fluctuates from 9% to 11% during all this so there should be room. The voice peak and things like that get around 90. I allocated 160 voices. Should I not use more than one Port at a time?

Please help me. I hate Gigastudio.

Re: Giga Crashes all the time

Hi Bempi,

If you give some information about your system someone may be able to help you.
    Stuff like
    what computer
    how much memory
    hard drive speed
    are any other programs running
    etc

What exactly do you mean by Crash?

Does it freeze? Is there an error message?

What’s your sound card? Video card?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Hi:

My sound card is Gina. The video card is 32 MB TNT 2.

The error message is something like: This application has performed an illegal operation...etc...

Then strange sounds start coming out, everything peters out...like it\'s dying a horrible death. Performer still runs but the samples all come out messed up. Gigastudio itself is frozen and I have to restart the computer to get it to work again. It seems to happen based on the number of samples I have PLAYING at any given time, but I\'ve never used more than 8 or 9 at once, and I thought you could use 64.

Jon

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bempi:
    Hi:

The error message is something like: This application has performed an illegal operation...etc...

Then strange sounds start coming out, everything peters out...like it\'s dying a horrible death. Performer still runs but the samples all come out messed up. Gigastudio itself is frozen and I have to restart the computer to get it to work again. It seems to happen based on the number of samples I have PLAYING at any given time, but I\'ve never used more than 8 or 9 at once, and I thought you could use 64.

Jon
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Jon,

Does your hard drive seem to be spinning a lot before the crash/freeze and splash of random notes (I assume that is what you mean
    is happening before it crashes)?

What is your memory percentage meter sitting at while you have a typical instrument set loaded, and do you know off hand the specs of your hard drive (tech specs, brand name, model number would all be helpful).

Has this just recently started happening, or have you been having these problems since you first installed GigaStudio?

If you have any other specs for the system that you are running GigaStudio on that also may be helpful in pinpointing your problem.

Ryan.

------------------
    Sonic Control
    www.soniccontrol.com
    Giga Users Network at
    www.soniccontrol.com/gigasampler/

I\'ll have to check the specs at home, but I do hear the drive making \"loading\" noises every now and then. Sometimes it\'s hard to hear over the sound of the actual music, but it doesn\'t sound like anything abnormal. The CPU%, or whatever the lowest readout is in the lower left corner of gigastudio, is usually around 12%, but I think I\'ve seen it go up to 35% or so. That\'s with about 30 instruments loaded in, but I\'ve never played more than 8 or 9 at the same time. Does the fact that the instruments are merely loaded in affect this?
    I have just recently installed Gigastudio and it has been doing this from the beginning. (Actually, I installed it twice, because the first time the timepiece wouldn\'t work so I had to reinstall Gigastudio to work with a different timpiece.)

Jon

Thanks!

My computer is running no other applications and it has something like 512 KB or MB, whichever is bigger. Everyone I\'ve asked says it has a ton of room and power. Is there a reason that the samples crash that\'s NOT related to the power of the computer? Are there certain samples that should never be played fast or as chords?

Jon

Hi Bempi,

A little more detailed info on the error message might be of help...just a hunch, but are you\'re seeing some file names in the message such as MSG32 and WSTRM32.dll? Yes? No? Maybe?
    Chances are your setup is not to blame. Couple of possible problems. First and foremost, you didn\'t mention what version you\'re using. If you haven\'t done so already, update to the latest GigaStudio version.
    There may also be some specific gig files which are giving you a headache. Keep an eye on the files you\'re loading, and if particular gigs cause it to crash, well, there\'s your problem. The gigs themselves could be corrupt, or they could contain sample rates that your Gina doesn\'t support. I also have a Gina, and I\'ve seen the \"MSG-Wstrm32.dll\" error message more times than I care to remember.
    Are you using CD Extract or GigaStudio to convert Akai discs? Some people have had problems with CDExtract, so you might want to try the GigaStudio converter instead.
    Also check your \"Settings\" after the program has crashed. The transition voices often drops to the lowest setting after a reboot, so it may only be set to 5 or 6 voices which could mess with your polyphony.
    And don\'t take this the wrong way, but you might want to seriously familiarize yourself with your computer system and it\'s inner most workings a bit more. I noticed you weren\'t sure if you had 512KB or 512MB of ram in your system...that\'s pretty basic stuff. If you\'re not sure what the difference between the two is, you definitely need to brush up on some computer basics. It will help you immensely when the inevitable problems crop up in the future and some solid troubleshooting is in order. Hope this helps!

Regards,
    Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bempi:
    Hi:

Jon
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for responding, Scott.

If it is the Gina, is there a way I can fix that or do I just have to avoid certain samples?

On a more generic note, have you ever used, say, 30 or 40 samples sounding at once without crashing? Most of my problems seem to happen based on polyphony, or how many samples are playing at the same time. If I crash and then reboot and play the same part MINUS one sample, it doesn\'t crash. Then I add the sample back and it usually crashes. I keep the polyphony set to 160 in Gigastudio settings.

My crashes happen at precise moments in my sequences where too many things are playing at once. Is the only setting that determines this capacity the polyphony setting in Gigastudio, or could GINA be screwed up?

Also, it sometimes crashes based on the complexity of any single part I\'ve played in. One time it messed up based on only ONE sample sounding: the gigapiano.

Jon

Here are some other specs:
    Motherboard: ASUS CUSL2-C
    CPU PENTIUM III 866MHZ
    Mid Tower ATX Case 300 PS
    30GB ATA/100 7,200
    Storage 60GB ATA/100 7,200

Thanks,
    Jon

Go Back to forum