• Register
  • Help

Topic: Changging the Channel in Gigastudio

Share/Bookmark

Changging the Channel in Gigastudio

Is there anyway to layer instruments on the same channel without going into GigaEdit and merging them? That is, telling gigastudio to put the instruments loaded into slots 1, 2, and 3 to respond to midi info on the same channel?

I can\'t seem to figure out how to do that.

If not, what is the fatest way to simply stack sounds in gigastudio?

Thanks
    David

Re: Changging the Channel in Gigastudio

Sure, just highlight the midi channel numbers you want to layer right below where the polphony meter is. They will turn green when linked. You can also link any combination you want. For example 1,3 or 1,4.

Hope this helps,

Donnie

Actually, Giga doesn\'t make this easy. I\'d like the channel slots to be just slots, and choose what channel the slot responds to myself.

The linking function which Donnie refers to links WHOLE ports of 16 channels together.

In other words, if you want two sounds in Giga in separate slots to respond to the same midi channel by using this setup, you need to put them in the same channel on different ports (1,2,3 or 4) and then link the ports containg those two instruments.

The obvious drawback here is that you\'ve just linked each of 16 channels on one port to each of 16 channels on the other eg., say you link port 1 to port 2 this is what you get:

port 1 ch 1 linked to port 2 ch 1
    port 1 ch 2 linked to port 2 ch 2
    port 1 ch 3 linked to port 2 ch 3 etc.,

So you\'ve linked more channels slots than you may have wanted.

Maybe this\'ll be changed in a future setup.

I get around this by doing the linking at the sequencer.

I just put the sounds into whatever channels I like in Giga, then if I want to hear a few channels respond when I play on a single channel in Logic I just put ALL of those channels in record ready (one click on a track for each channel)and they all respond.

This is not the most elegant or intuitive approach, but it is more flexible and quicker than port linking and trying to make sure you have all your duck lined up in a row.

This\'d be a good one for the wish list!

Thanks for the replies. Thats a bummer that there\'s no easy way to do it -- seems like this would be a basic function. oh well. I\'ll just do it on the sequencer side. Thanks for the tips!

Dave

Go Back to forum