• Register
  • Help

Topic: Fanfare and Prelude on a Stravinsky Theme

Share/Bookmark

Fanfare and Prelude on a Stravinsky Theme

I've been asked to compose a prelude for a concert we are playing next February (2016). We will be performing the Stravinsky Octet for Winds. I borrowed 9 motes from one of the main themes of the Octet to create the bulk of this work. The fanfare is modeled after Stravinsky's Fanfare for a New Theater written to commemorate the Opening of the Lincoln Center Theater. No music was stolen, I just modeled the ideas and created my own work. I intended this to be a quiet unassuming prelude. I borrowed a bit from the Rite of Spring which I think you may catch a few times in the piece.

Enjoy Fanfare and Prelude on a Stravinsky Theme

Best Regards,

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Fanfare and Prelude on a Stravinsky Theme

Enjoyed.
    A-Class work as usual.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Bill, this time I have no excuses for my old tastes, this I enjoyed all through. ( I do not like Stravinsky).
    Great and tong-in cheek happy.

Ted

Thanks Ted and fabiolcati. It was fun to put together. I am looking forward to playing it at our February Concert.

Best regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

I also enjoyed your Fanfare and Prelude. I listened to the Octet on YouTube and I think I actually like your Prelude better. I also watched the ballet scenes from The Riot At The Rite movie and most of a live performance of The Firebird Suite for a brush up.

I sounds to me like his earlier work was his best or at least I like it better. I think I hear a lot of Impressionism and a little Romantisim mixed in with all the chaos. Anyway I'm sure that without those two works Stravinsky would now be more of a footnote in musical history.

I'm sure your introduction will be very complimentary to the total performance.

Have fun!

Phil

Go Back to forum