• Register
  • Help

Topic: 10th Anniversary of Using Garritan Products (GPO & JABB)

Share/Bookmark

10th Anniversary of Using Garritan Products (GPO & JABB)

Hello -

Recently, I realized that I've been using GPO for a little over 10 years now! I don't know if it has been 10 years, but I purchased JABB as soon as it was released!

To say that the Garritan products have been important in my musical life would be a huge understatement! GPO is what opened my compositional mind to composing for orchestra! Additionally, both GPO and JABB helped enable me to go from 100% hardware-based sequencing (using all kinds of tone generators which are now neatly tucked away in my closet) to 100% computer-based sequencing.

Although I have since purchased other "virtual instrument" libraries, I STILL use GPO and JABB in my compositions. My "go-to" orchestral templet uses GPO and JABB extensively.

Just for the kicks and giggles, I decided to share my very first orchestral composition using (ONLY) GPO which I wrote and sequenced back in early 2005, and the most recent orchestral composition using GPO, JABB and a few other instrumental libraries which I finished in the fall of 2014.

Here is my first 100% orchestral-type composition using GPO (back in the Kontakt days): Common Conversations (click on link). It was my first attempt to writing ANYTHING for a small orchestral ensemble, actually!

Now, here is the latest orchestral composition: Summer in Mid-July (click on link). For this piece, I used GPO and JABB for all solo instruments (strings, brass and wood winds) and pretty much all percussion (except for the wood blocks). Additional instrumental libraries used were Kirk Hunter's Concert Strings 2, Kirk Hunter's Concert Brass 2, and a 'Wood Blocks" VI from some library found deep within one of my computer's SSDs (LOL!).

I know that both GPO and JABB have been around for many years. However, they still sound good! At least they sound good to my modest ears. I am grateful for these products. They've given much creative pleasure for this cranky ICU/CCU nurse for . . . a little over 10 years, now!

I hope all is well with everyone here. For those who might remember me, I thank you for being so supportive and informative for whenever I shared music here and asked all kinds of music-related questions. I wish EVERYONE who visits these particular Garritan forums a fulfilling life-time of music creation!

Peace, folks!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: 10th Anniversary of Using Garritan Products (GPO & JABB)

Ted,

A wonderful display of compositional skills and a major display of growth in the use of sampled sounds.

Tom

Hi Ted,

My first sample library was SampleTank but shortly after I found GPO and the Garritan forum. They were a big jump in realism and usability from sound modules like the E-mu Proteus 2000.

Maybe in another life you could have been a composer for television but I'm sure you have touched and helped heal many people as a dedicated nurse.

This forum is pretty quiet nowadays so it was great to hear from you and listen to your talented efforts.

Phil

Hi Tom and Phil -

Thank you for taking the time to listen to the compositions. I was a little hesitant to post them here simply because I have been so inactive on this bulletin board for such a long time. For a number of reasons, I've cut back my time spent on bulletin boards/web-sites as a whole. . . well, except for Facbook! LOL! It seems that I've transferred much of my time and energy to Facebook as I keep in touch with family members, and old high school and college friends. LOL!

Tom - I like to think that I've grown a bit, both compositionally and with sequencing. It surely does not come easy for me, mainly because I do have my full-time job and other responsibilities. I'm lucky if I compose one or two "full-length" orchestral compositions a year (and each composition could take months!). Composing "full-length" compositions is like walking through thick mud for me. Eventually I'll get to where I need to go. But the process takes much effort and thought. (I do write many more simple music scores for my video projects, almost always using the GPO & JABB libraries.)

Phil - I have a closet full of unused audio equipment including tone generators. At one point, I had two Proteus 2 tone generators that provided basic orchestral instrumental sounds. I think that I gave them away a long time ago! LOL! It was purchasing and using GPO that totally freed me from those devices.

I STILL think GPO and JABB has a place in the world of computer-based music composition/arranging. The ONLY problem that I have with GPO and JABB is that I've been using these instrumental libraries for a relatively long time. The individual instruments that I often use "generate" the same general quality of sound for each project. But it is an issue for my ears only. Others don't know. I love how to make crescendos and decrescendos with most of the instruments. I love how there is much control with both the volume and the LENGTH of many of the percussive sounds like drum rolls and cymbal rolls. I love how acoustically dry the instruments are so that one can easily place them within the stereo field using the reverb of our choice. If MakeMusic and/or Gary Garritan make "Pro" versions of GPO and/or JABB, I would purchase them in a minute! Regardless, GPO and JABB will remain in my computer, and will be continued to be used, for a long time.

Peace. . .

Ted

Nurse Ted,

Larry: I have this pain when I raise my arm like this.

Nurse Ted: Well, stop raising your arm like that!

(Yes, I've used the above routine with you in the past, but I like it.)

Wow! I love your "Summer..."! This is a delightful piece and you did a fine job, my friend. I am proud of you. Thanks for posting and sharing it.

You have come a long way in your compositional abilities. Way to go!

I really appreciate your support of my meager musical efforts through the years. Thank you very much.

Live long and prosper!

Best,

Larry

Hi Larry!

Thank you for the listen and kind words!

Interesting. Last week I started re-doing/re-mixing the very first piece I ever did in Sonar 5 and JABB 1.0.

Just pulled out the original JABB manual and it has a copyright and first printing date of 2005.
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Ted,

Upon listening just now I realized that I remember that first piece of yours! I liked it then, I like it now. The second piece does indeed show considerable growth and refinement in your use of our libraries - another excellent piece. It was Gary's and my hope that people would use the libraries just as you have. It would be nice if the libraries continue to have a long, useful life. Thanks for posting that 10 year overview.

Tom
    www.vfztomhopkins.com

Tom -

First, thank you for the time in listening to these pieces and sharing your kind comments.

Secondly, and more importantly, THANK YOU for playing such a significant role in creating these libraries!!

I just clicked on your web-site located below your name. From what i have read so far, your web site is giving a very interesting and informative history to both your work and the development of GPO, JABB, etc. Later this week I plan on going back to your web-site and do a thorough reading.

If your and Gary's intention was to provide tools for the composer/musician to create music, then it worked! Through the use of GPO and JABB , it certainly has worked for me during these past 10+ years! These products have made their mark in the vast worlds of music, music-making, and "virtual instruments". With that, you, Gary, and all involved deserve much accolades. Again, THANK YOU!

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke View Post
    I just clicked on your web-site located below your name. From what i have read so far, your web site is giving a very interesting and informative history to both your work and the development of GPO, JABB, etc. Later this week I plan on going back to your web-site and do a thorough reading.
    Thanks for taking a look. Yes, one of the things I tried to cover (in condensed form) was the history of my decade with the Garritan team. In other parts of the site I also cover my prior work as a composer/arranger/orchestrator for PBS Television; a look at my studio, The Vocal-Free Zone, where many of the instruments for the libraries were recorded and I did all the programming; a page devoted to an extensive demonstration of the wind controller (EWI) as a tool in audio production; and a musical compositions page with examples of my personal non-commercial work over the last 25 years (the good stuff!)

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke View Post
    If your and Gary's intention was to provide tools for the composer/musician to create music, then it worked! Through the use of GPO and JABB , it certainly has worked for me during these past 10+ years! These products have made their mark in the vast worlds of music, music-making, and "virtual instruments". With that, you, Gary, and all involved deserve much accolades. Again, THANK YOU!

Ted
    Seeing you and others use the products we created is a source of great satisfaction (long after my participation.) I just enjoy the thought of musicians getting to actually hear their compositional ideas. It beats manuscript paper sitting in a dark desk drawer, the music never to be heard - as often happened in the past. So, I'm sure Gary would concur: You are quite welcome!

Tom
    www.vfztomhopkins.com

Go Back to forum