• Register
  • Help

Topic: My Little Town.

Share/Bookmark

My Little Town.

Shelton has a population of about 8500 plus the rural outlying areas of south Mason County. I guess by this June 1000 direct jobs will be gone plus the domino effect on businesses, utilities, government, schools and such. It mostly has to do with increased competition of the wood products coming from Canada.

It wasn't but a few years ago that the concern was this area was going to see rapid growth and bring it's problems.

Being retired now, for me this turn of events is probably preferable to out of control growth but many families will be affected. Things will hopefully get better and at least one new modern lumber mill bringing back 170 jobs will be online in two years.

We'll still have the beautiful Oakland Bay, Hood Canal and the Olympic Mountains.

Re: My Little Town.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Shelton has a population of about 8500 plus the rural outlying areas of south Mason County. I guess by this June 1000 direct jobs will be gone plus the domino effect on businesses, utilities, government, schools and such. It mostly has to do with increased competition of the wood products coming from Canada.

It wasn't but a few years ago that the concern was this area was going to see rapid growth and bring it's problems.

Being retired now, for me this turn of events is probably preferable to out of control growth but many families will be affected. Things will hopefully get better and at least one new modern lumber mill bringing back 170 jobs will be online in two years.

We'll still have the beautiful Oakland Bay, Hood Canal and the Olympic Mountains.
    Being from Seattle, I know the plight facing many of the smaller communities. I would have stayed in that beautiful state had finances allowed. On the other hand, its political and social elements were getting about as bad as it can get in a democracy. Really a sad state of affairs.

Tom

Go Back to forum