• Register
  • Help

Topic: PreSonus Studio One 3 Pro

Share/Bookmark

PreSonus Studio One 3 Pro

Is anyone familiar with this product? As many of you know, I have not had much luck with other DAWs, and have been told this one is more straight forward and easier to use. Just seeing if anyone knows for sure.

Tom

Re: PreSonus Studio One 3 Pro

Hi Tom,

Sorry, although I have an older version of PreSonus Studio One, I don't really use it. It came bundled with my PreSonus FireStudio Mobile (my FireWire/MIDI interface box between my PC and audio monitors).

I did install it and tried to get it operational when I first bought the (FireStudio) box, since I needed to check-out the box when I could not get my Sonar DAW operational. As it turned out, the "latest" driver provided by PreSonus was not the one to use, and as soon as I downloaded a driver from Cakewalk (whom I called), my Sonar issues were solved and I never went back to Studio One.

Did you buy an interface from PreSonus (I swear by mine! ... has worked flawlessly since 2010)? I had heard the same thing as you, that Studio One is a straight-forward DAW, however, my two cents is that ALL DAW's are straight-forward once you get them to work!

Whichever one you settle on, I can't over-emphasize having the latest drivers.

Just a general note on working with DAW's: No matter which one you end up with, spend the up-front time in building stable templates for each genre you write in so when "Tom-The-Composer" wants to score a short, you just copy the template to a new project file and immediately start scoring. IOW, you already have Trumpets 1, 2, 3 and bassoon and alto flute and ... etc., all set to go on separate tracks with all the VSTi/Aria/Kontackt/whatever gobbly-gook worked out so you can control all your volumes, pans, FX routings directly from within your DAW. All your mixing buses should also be set-up too, making mixing an easier, more enjoyable process.

It took me nearly a month to build my musical theater virtual pit orchestra (complete with all the Reed chair doubles), but I very recently finished my third complete musical that I arranged and orchestrated all the music for (well over an hours worth of music each show) ... and except for searching for a single Hammond Organ sound I needed to set-up for a gospel arrangement, I did not have to add a single instrument to my template. This saved me DAYS of set-up time and alowed me to be very productive while under the clock.

When you are all set with your DAW, I would be glad to share some details about setting-up templates for you.

Maybe check some product-specific sites for Studio One user's feedback?

Good luck, Tom!

Frank
    Frank D'Erasmo
    FABD Music - Arrangements-Orchestrations
    All Styles ... Specializing in Jazz, Theater, Latin & Pop

Garritan JaBB, GPO, CoMB, World, GAS, Stradivari Violin & GigaStudio. Sonar X2 Producer, Pro Tools, Performer & Finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hi Tom,

Sorry, although I have an older version of PreSonus Studio One, I don't really use it. It came bundled with my PreSonus FireStudio Mobile (my FireWire/MIDI interface box between my PC and audio monitors).

I did install it and tried to get it operational when I first bought the (FireStudio) box, since I needed to check-out the box when I could not get my Sonar DAW operational. As it turned out, the "latest" driver provided by PreSonus was not the one to use, and as soon as I downloaded a driver from Cakewalk (whom I called), my Sonar issues were solved and I never went back to Studio One.

Did you buy an interface from PreSonus (I swear by mine! ... has worked flawlessly since 2010)? I had heard the same thing as you, that Studio One is a straight-forward DAW, however, my two cents is that ALL DAW's are straight-forward once you get them to work!

Whichever one you settle on, I can't over-emphasize having the latest drivers.

Just a general note on working with DAW's: No matter which one you end up with, spend the up-front time in building stable templates for each genre you write in so when "Tom-The-Composer" wants to score a short, you just copy the template to a new project file and immediately start scoring. IOW, you already have Trumpets 1, 2, 3 and bassoon and alto flute and ... etc., all set to go on separate tracks with all the VSTi/Aria/Kontackt/whatever gobbly-gook worked out so you can control all your volumes, pans, FX routings directly from within your DAW. All your mixing buses should also be set-up too, making mixing an easier, more enjoyable process.

It took me nearly a month to build my musical theater virtual pit orchestra (complete with all the Reed chair doubles), but I very recently finished my third complete musical that I arranged and orchestrated all the music for (well over an hours worth of music each show) ... and except for searching for a single Hammond Organ sound I needed to set-up for a gospel arrangement, I did not have to add a single instrument to my template. This saved me DAYS of set-up time and alowed me to be very productive while under the clock.

When you are all set with your DAW, I would be glad to share some details about setting-up templates for you.

Maybe check some product-specific sites for Studio One user's feedback?

Good luck, Tom!

Frank

Thank you, Frank,

I have Cubase Studio5 but have never figured out how to use it. The problem, of course, is that as a composer I have absolutely no problem with the music, but with software I don't even know what questions to ask.

Perhaps the best option would be for me to reload the Cubase and just try to drudge through the endless pages of terminology and procedures that, to me, seem to have no connection to music whatsoever. That would cost less at least.

I write everything in Finale 2014 and use Garritan samples. I also use EW Symphonic Choirs samples. I load both Garritan and EW directly into Finale - which works fine.

You mentioned an interface - the retailer told me an interface was not needed. Tell me more about that.

Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Is anyone familiar with this product? As many of you know, I have not had much luck with other DAWs, and have been told this one is more straight forward and easier to use. Just seeing if anyone knows for sure.

Tom
    I have Studio One Producer 2.6 which has just been discontinued along with Studio One Artist. So now there is going to be Studio One Prime(free but no importing of third party software instruments or effects) and Studio One Professional 3. Studio One seems to be aimed more at studio recording than for composing with software instruments. All your software instruments and effects are easily accessible using drag and drop from a list directly into each track but I found it's midi editing tools to be a little lacking compared to the older DAWs like Cubase, Sonar and DP 8. You can always try out the Studio One Pro 30 day demo or soon to be released free for ever Prime.

I have been using an obscure DAW, Metro 7, which is strong for midi but chokes on more than a 20-25 track count so I have to try to break up a larger project using Metro's sections feature and then attempt to smoothly splice the mixed down midi to audio sections together. I'm now learning Logic Pro X to avoid this issue.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    ..... I have Cubase Studio5 but have never figured out how to use it. The problem, of course, is that as a composer I have absolutely no problem with the music, but with software I don't even know what questions to ask. ..... I write everything in Finale 2014 and use Garritan samples.
    Tom.
    Hello Tom,

I have no experience of PreSonus but I do empathise with you having started out in the same way as yourself using just Finale.

I soon came to realise that however good Finale was/is, it could never offer the added facilities of a DAW for audio production. This is no reflection on Finale, no notation software can offer the audio facilities of a DAW. Conversly, the opposite is also true, no DAW can come close to offering the notation facilities of Finale.

I then decided to take the plunge and face the inevitable learning curves and to face the looming mountains and canyons ahead. Following some tuition, I then looked at just about every DAW I could lay my hands on and settled for Sonar.

Although it wasn't easy I have absolutely no regrets and would do it again.

I don't know if this is of any help to yourself but I do understand how you feel and can empathise with a fellow dedicated Finale user.

Best wishes,

Michael
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    Hello Tom,

I have no experience of PreSonus but I do empathise with you having started out in the same way as yourself using just Finale.

I soon came to realise that however good Finale was/is, it could never offer the added facilities of a DAW for audio production. This is no reflection on Finale, no notation software can offer the audio facilities of a DAW. Conversly, the opposite is also true, no DAW can come close to offering the notation facilities of Finale.

I then decided to take the plunge and face the inevitable learning curves and to face the looming mountains and canyons ahead. Following some tuition, I then looked at just about every DAW I could lay my hands on and settled for Sonar.

Although it wasn't easy I have absolutely no regrets and would do it again.

I don't know if this is of any help to yourself but I do understand how you feel and can empathise with a fellow dedicated Finale user.

Best wishes,

Michael
    Thank you, Michael,

As I am answering your note, I have Cubase Studio 5 sitting on my desk and am trying to decide whether to load it on the computer or try to find a simpler DAW. I tried using it once before - a very long time ago - and really didn't like the Halion symphonic orchestra that was included. The Halion trial version alone was two CDs. There is also a VST Sound Collection CD (I have no idea what that is) - so, perhaps I only need to load the single Cubase Studio5 disk.

I followed the instructions to the letter but could never find Aria or Kontakt in Cubase, leave alone the Garritan samples or Symphonic Choir. I did find a way to load EW Symphonic Choirs into Finale - at least I got to use it that way.

As I recall, the idea was that I could write in Finale and then transfer the score into Cubase where I could assign Aria and Kontakt tracks to the various staves to mix the two into a single project. I could never get that to happen. I couldn't even find the score I transferred in from Finale. (I know, I know - the stupid factor strikes again)

Part of the problem for me is the different publishers using different terms to mean the same thing - and none of those terms even remotely related to musical concepts.

(pause to take a deep breath)

Oh, all right. I'll load it, instead of looking for an easier DAW, and see if I can get any of it to work.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Tom

I have used Sonar for years, but it's an older version, 8.5 to be exact. The new sonar is so different that it's basically a new DAW altogether. I have checked out various DAWS in case I do want to upgrade at some point. I found Cubase to be very unintuitive and difficult. I looked into Studio One, but they don't have a staff or notation editor, something I consider essential as I do most of my work there, shunning entirely the piano roll view so typical of DAWS. At some point they may integrate Notion into Studio One, as Presonus owns both of them. (Notion is another notation system like Sibelius and Finale).

The DAWS that do have some level of notation or staff view: Sonar, Cubase, Digital Performer, Pro tools and Logic. These vary in their sophistication, with Sonar not being being very good and DP quite good. Another DAW, Reaper, is going to have it in their next version. It will probably be fairly basic, more like Sonar than DP. Reaper is very intriguing because it only costs about 60.00, unless you are a pro and make lots of money with your music. Me, I'm just a hobbyist.

I actually love my version of Sonar, but it doesn't look like they will ever improve their notation view. So I'm going to experiment with importing my projects into Musescore, the free notation software. So, my situation is opposite to yours. I've worked for years in a DAW, but never produced decent scores. I've concentrated on the sound. If I were you, and were looking to produce better sound versions of my works, I would wait for Reaper to get their next version up and running, as it's so affordable. And all DAWS sound the same, it's the work you put in that makes the difference, along with the samples of course. Reaper is supposed to be pretty easy to work with. If you try it though, keep in mind that you won't see any musical notes in its current version.

If you don't want to wait for the new Reaper, you could look into Mixcraft. It also is very affordable, and actually comes with some decent sounds. And it does have a basic notation view. Also, it is very intuitive, very easy to work with. Try the free demo, you might like it and it could be right for you.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    I have used Sonar for years, but it's an older version, 8.5 to be exact. The new sonar is so different that it's basically a new DAW altogether. I have checked out various DAWS in case I do want to upgrade at some point. I found Cubase to be very unintuitive and difficult. I looked into Studio One, but they don't have a staff or notation editor, something I consider essential as I do most of my work there, shunning entirely the piano roll view so typical of DAWS. At some point they may integrate Notion into Studio One, as Presonus owns both of them. (Notion is another notation system like Sibelius and Finale).

The DAWS that do have some level of notation or staff view: Sonar, Cubase, Digital Performer, Pro tools and Logic. These vary in their sophistication, with Sonar not being being very good and DP quite good. Another DAW, Reaper, is going to have it in their next version. It will probably be fairly basic, more like Sonar than DP. Reaper is very intriguing because it only costs about 60.00, unless you are a pro and make lots of money with your music. Me, I'm just a hobbyist.

I actually love my version of Sonar, but it doesn't look like they will ever improve their notation view. So I'm going to experiment with importing my projects into Musescore, the free notation software. So, my situation is opposite to yours. I've worked for years in a DAW, but never produced decent scores. I've concentrated on the sound. If I were you, and were looking to produce better sound versions of my works, I would wait for Reaper to get their next version up and running, as it's so affordable. And all DAWS sound the same, it's the work you put in that makes the difference, along with the samples of course. Reaper is supposed to be pretty easy to work with. If you try it though, keep in mind that you won't see any musical notes in its current version.

If you don't want to wait for the new Reaper, you could look into Mixcraft. It also is very affordable, and actually comes with some decent sounds. And it does have a basic notation view. Also, it is very intuitive, very easy to work with. Try the free demo, you might like it and it could be right for you.

Good Luck!
    Extremely valuable information. Thank you for your time and knowledge. I do very very little live input, relying almost exclusively on note entry - so I too absolutely require seeing musical notes.

Tom

Tom

Go Back to forum