• Register
  • Help

Topic: PIII 600 256 RAM enough for studio?

Share/Bookmark

PIII 600 256 RAM enough for studio?

Folks, I\'m currently running Gigasampler on a PIII 600 with 256 MB of RAM. It is also my DAW machine (Cakewalk Pro 9 and a Delta 1010).

I\'m more or less satisfied with the setup in terms of polyphony and stability. I would really like to get into the Gigastudio world, however. Any ideas on what I can expect from this setup and Gigastudio. Assume, sadly, that there\'s no chance of me dedicating a machine to Gigastudio in the immediate future...

Magpel

Re: PIII 600 256 RAM enough for studio?

Probably ok for midi but you wont get good results trying to run audio alongside it simultaneously

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TJ:
    Probably ok for midi but you wont get good results trying to run audio alongside it simultaneously<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TJ, or others, is gigastudio for demanding on the system and drives that gsampler *assuming I want the same results in terms of polyphony?* Does it have to work harder than Gsampler to deliver 48 or 64 voice polyphony?

Gsampler plays fairly well with Cakewalk for me. I can solidly playback 13 or 15 tracks of audio with GS open and playing. Recording new audio tracjs is where I\'ve experienced some crashes, but they can be reduced by maxing the playback buffers and mixing latency in Cakewalk.

I apologize for the erratic typos in that last post. What I meant to ask is if Gstudio is inherently more resource-intensive than Gsampler, even If I\'m only expecting Gsampler-level polyphony?

I\'ve worked a long time with a PII-350. Gigastudio worked fine on it. I never noticed a decrease in performance when I switched from Gigasampler to Gigastudio.

I think a PIII-600 will easily do more than 64 voices. Important is that you have a fast harddrive (or two).

Regarding your crashes when recording new
    tracks, have you tried capturing the file and
    then importing the wave file into Cakewalk?
    This could get around the crashes.

Use a second HD for giga samples storage.
    if you are in the limit of voices or cpu, try to record your gigainstruments to audio chanels in cakewalk. When I used only one HD my computer worked better if I record them and later playback, than open my seq(with audio files) and synch to giga with many tracks.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lucas:
    Regarding your crashes when recording new
    tracks, have you tried capturing the file and
    then importing the wave file into Cakewalk?
    This could get around the crashes.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I often end up doing that. It\'s not my favorite way to work, becuase I often like to continue midi editing long after I\'ve started laying down audio tracks (guitars and voices and whatnot). Sometimes, I\'ll do a temporary audio mix of all giga parts (one stereo track) record my guitar or bass, then un-archive all the midi giga tracks and keep editing. Clumsy, but it works for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jose elith:
    Use a second HD for giga samples storage.
    if you are in the limit of voices or cpu, try to record your gigainstruments to audio chanels in cakewalk. When I used only one HD my computer worked better if I record them and later playback, than open my seq(with audio files) and synch to giga with many tracks.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jose, I\'m using 2 drives presently. a 20GB Maxtor drive is houring all my programs and my .Gigs. A 40 GB drive is dedicated to the Cakewalk temp folder. Would you recommend a different arrangement? BTW, each drive is the master on an IDE channel. I know there\'s some debate about the best IDE channel arrangement also.

Thanks everyone,
    Magpel

I use a 20 Gb HD for programs and to store audio files. the 2nd HD (40gb)is exclusive for giga samples.
    Have you checked the speed of HD?( 7200 rpm or faster) This configuration works fine for me

Go Back to forum