• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newbie sample mapping questions

Share/Bookmark

Newbie sample mapping questions

Being a rock guitar player I\'m pretty clueless when it comes to knowing which range orchestral instruments occupy.

I\'ve been messing around with a cheap little Kawai GM sound module and sequencer for a few years and finally got around to setting up a Gigasampler system.

I bought some decent, afforable orchestral sample cds (they sound good to me), but I am pretty clueless as to where to apply splits for the instruments so that I can turn them into .gig files.

Does anyone know of any good resources (online or books) that will tell me, for example, whether an oboe needs to be mapped from C1 to C4 or something like that. I\'d hate to end up doing something silly like map a flute to a tuba\'s range :-)

Also, I have duplicate samples on two separate CD collections. On one of the CD\'s, the stereo samples are one file, the other CD has the exact same sample but it is split up as two seperate mono files (Left and Right). Any recomendations on which ones to use? The individual mono files seem to be a little smaller in size than the single stereo file version, but I guess with Gigasampler, size really isn\'t a concern.

I\'d consider paying someone to map these samples into .gig files for me :-)
    Any takers, it\'s only one and a half CD\'s worth of samples :-)

Many thanks,
    JG

Re: Newbie sample mapping questions

Hi shagfu.

The book on orchestration that I studied is \"The Technique of Orchestration\" by Kent Kennan and Donald Grantham. It includes a chart with ranges and transpositions of all orchestral instruments. It\'s probably overkill (unless you want to study orchestration). You can probably search and find a simple chart like that online. Someone else may know where that is.

As to mapping samples. What are the sample cds you have? If they\'re for another sampler (Roland, EMU, Akai) then you can get GigaTranslator by Chicken Systems that will import and convert the samples to .gigs. It works pretty well.

If the cds are audio cds of multi-sampled instruments, there\'s a lot of work there for it to be done right. To pay someone for their time to do it correctly (at least what I would charge for example) would no doubt be much more than buying a new CD for Gigasampler!

If you want to take on programming the sounds yourself definitely use the stereo ones. Also, prepare for a fairly steep learning curve using the Editor with Gigastudio.

Good luck!

>What are the sample cds you have?

Just some really inexpensive ones I picked up from Masterbits (masterbits.com). Online Orchestra, which I think is Peter Siedlaczek´s ORCHESTRA with added percussion.
    And the Klassic (or Classic) CD containing some solo instruments I personally like.

The Online Orchestra CD was like 19 bucks, and the other one came with a bundle of 9 other sample cd\'s for around 49 bucks.

>To pay someone for their time to do it correctly (at least what I would charge for example) would no doubt be much more than buying a new CD for Gigasampler!

I guess I\'ll have to pony up the dough for the convenience of having samples already in Giga format :-) I\'m just so antsy to get started...guess it\'s time to sell a liver so that I can get one of these giga sample libraries ;-)

Any recommendations on an all around usable giga library? My budget won\'t allow me the luxury of picking strings from one collection, brass and winds from others. I\'m kinda leaning toward the Peter Siedlaczek stuff. To me at least, there\'s a sort of dark, European flavor to them as oppossed to the \"airier\" Hollywood sound of some of the other sample cd\'s I\'ve heard.

Many thanks,
    JG

Hi!

There are quite a few books on the topic but they are indeed rather comperhensive (and expensive) if you do not want to master a symphonic orchestration.

There are however two books of different kind: Henry Mancini\'s Sounds and Scores [ISBN 0-89898-667-2] which teaches a jazz/pop/film instrumentation (f.i. begins with saxophones) and Paul Gilreath\'s The Guide To MIDI Orchestration [ISBN 0-9646705-2-6] which deals with orchestration using samplers and orchestral libraries.
    If you only need the range-charts I guess you can find these in any work on musical instruments or even in some general books on music.

Ondrej

Shagfu:

Ondrej\'s suggestions on books sound even more appropriate for you if you still need the information.

As far string libraries, I\'d suggest a search on the libraries section of this forum. There\'s been a ton of discussion about the various string library options.

Enjoy!

Phil

Thanks all :-)

I spent all last night searching on Google and found a nice article with charts on the subject. It should help me get started on the right foot.
    http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/dec99/articles/orchestral.htm

Go Back to forum