• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mendelssohn: Organ Sonata #6 / Andante - for Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Mendelssohn: Organ Sonata #6 / Andante - for Orchestra

Last weekend I was doing a bicycle trip and was passing by a church from where I heard organ sounds. I went in and
    found that there was an organ concerto but almost finished: I heard only the last piece - Mendelssohn's Organ Sonata
    #6 which I never heard before. The final Andante touched me so deeply and I felt that I MUST hear it by an
    orchestra. So this afternoon I wrote an orchestra version which I think is very beautiful ...

www.gerdprengel.de/Mendelssohn_OrganSon6_Finale_orch.mp3

www.gerdprengel.de/Mendelssohn_OrganSon6_Finale_orch.pdf

Gerd

Re: Mendelssohn: Organ Sonata #6 / Andante - for Orchestra

Gerd:

It IS beautiful. You have came a long way in your work, congratulation!

Ted

Re: Mendelssohn: Organ Sonata #6 - for Orchestra

Mendelssohn Organ Sonata 6 - for Orchestra

Some weeks ago I presented the wonderful melodious Finale from Mendelssohn's Organ Sonata #6 in an orchestra version. By now I have recognised how ingenious the whole work is and not just the Finale, and so I orchestrated the whole piece. To me with orchestra the beauty of this awesome work is revealed more than with the organ.

It begins with a Bach choral in d-minor (from Mendelssohn more beautiful than the original from Bach) and continues with various variations, a Fugue and the final Andante.

Please take time to listen to it together with the score.

www.gerdprengel.de/Mendelssohn_OrganSon6_orch.mp3

www.gerdprengel.de/Mendelssohn_OrganSon6_orch.pdf

Gerd

It really sounds good. Some places could be made better (IMHO) to recheck dynamics, (cut back or increase), at one point the DBase could be changed to pizzicato, your use of strings are greatly improved, could allow it to come up more to the front.
    Over all, you have done a great job, reflecting your love for this wonderful piece.
    congratulation

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by gprengel View Post
    Last weekend I was doing a bicycle trip and was passing by a church from where I heard organ sounds. I went in and
    found that there was an organ concerto but almost finished: I heard only the last piece - Mendelssohn's Organ Sonata
    #6 which I never heard before. The final Andante touched me so deeply and I felt that I MUST hear it by an
    orchestra. So this afternoon I wrote an orchestra version which I think is very beautiful ...

www.gerdprengel.de/Mendelssohn_OrganSon6_Finale_orch.mp3

www.gerdprengel.de/Mendelssohn_OrganSon6_Finale_orch.pdf

Gerd

Ah, the wonderfully subtle world of Mendelssohn. You have caught the moment very, very well. I am envious of your patience in such a project. Were I directing from your score I might be tempted to lessen the double bass line in a few spots, but without a doubt, you have done extremely well with this work. Thank you for sharing.

Tom

Thumbs up Re: Mendelssohn: Organ Sonata #6 / Andante - for Orchestra

Hi Gerd,You know, this was bound to happen. Mendelssohn just came to you on your bike trip...As usual you did a terrific job. A fine instrumentation representing the very spirit of the work. Mendelssohn was undoubtedly one of the greatest composers ever. Unfortunately his name is not so famous as the other big four, while the quality of his works is so refined, so rich in harmony and colourful, emotional.I suppose you did this recording with the Garritan library. Wonderful! But there are some small remarks to have a more realistic result. The GPO woodwinds ar excellent but tend to be too loud. That makes them sound as they were in the front orchestral seats, which is almost never the case. That forces your strings to the second row or even to the back. To solve this problem, you should do 3 things: cut back the high frequencies (of the woodwinds) a bit, turn bak the balance knob for dry/wet to some more wet (reduce the dry a bit) and lower the woodwinds' volume. Choose an overal acoustic (ambience) with a soft convolution reverb with a duration of about 1.8 to 2 seconds. For the strings: some more dry reverb, more high frequencies (don't overdo it) and some more volume.Pay attention to the articulations and playing techniques. Now, it sounds a bit like everyone is playing continuously sustains. That is OK for the winds because of the nature of their recording in GPO, but for the strings it sounds a bit weary. Have you tried to alter the attack/release and the playing curve? Now they all seem to play aaaAAAaaa (coming in, reinforcing, fading out), without clear bowing and attack. Because it's so beautiful, it is really worth the effort to improve the orchestral sound and I'm pretty sure you feel the same way. Do you use a DAW? Here you could play with the attacks and the note velocities to create a realistic performance to every instrument or group.

Thanks for this wonderful piece and keep up the good work!
    Max

Thank you all for your response and appreciation!

First I was wondering whether you all were really listening to my file of the new whole work or only the file of the final Andante (of the beginning of this thread). Now I put also the completed work into the link of the beginning of the thread. Is it possible now to delete the word "Andante" from the title of the thread?

Then, Max, I don't fully understand your technical hints. I can only edit these 2 GPO/Kontact Player dialoges:

www.gerdprengel.de/b1.JPG
    www.gerdprengel.de/b2.JPG (ambience)

How shall I change these controlls? And how can I differentiate in the ambience between the woodwinds and the strings ?

Gerd

Quote Originally Posted by gprengel View Post
    Thank you all for your response and appreciation!

First I was wondering whether you all were really listening to my file of the new whole work or only the file of the final Andante (of the beginning of this thread). Now I put also the completed work into the link of the beginning of the thread. Is it possible now to delete the word "Andante" from the title of the thread?

Then, Max, I don't fully understand your technical hints. I can only edit these 2 GPO/Kontact Player dialoges:

www.gerdprengel.de/b1.JPG
    www.gerdprengel.de/b2.JPG (ambience)

How shall I change these controlls? And how can I differentiate in the ambience between the woodwinds and the strings ?

Gerd
    Gerd,

What notation software are you using?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    What notation software are you using?
    Tom
    Finale 2008a

In Finale you can go to the Expression Tool in the top tool bar and click on it. (The Expression Tool usually has an "mf" icon. When you click on the tool, a small box will appear near the "Andante" in your score. Right click on the small box and select delete. The Andante will vanish and digital commands connected to it will be removed from the score.

Tom

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast