• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Be very careful not to feed a troll!

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Be very careful not to feed a troll!

Dear All,

From much experience as both a moderator and administrator, and as an ordinary poster, in fora dating back many years, may I caution people about feeding trolls.

A troll is a person who adopts a persona, whose only only motive is to disrupt a forum and cause grief and upset amongst its members. Often they appear, at first, to be genuine, but their actions soon reveal their real interest.

They usually target fora that have a good record of peaceful, considerate interaction amongst their members, like this one. Their wish is to get good contributing members to leave. Don't let them force you away.

Anything said that is not directly focussed upon their own ego, or nay sayers, are immediately targeted for ad hominem attacks. Like the ones we have seen recently.

The best course of action IMHO is not to reply to them at all, even to give them good advice or to challenge their point of view. Experience tells me that when they aren't fed at all they go to seek new pastures in which to feed upon others.

The next thing to do is to add the individual to your "ignore list" which means you won't see their posts any more.
    I have already added a recent joiner to my ignore list. This person displays all the characteristics of being a troll, IMO.

And if that person attempts to respond, tough, I won't see any of your posts.

Please don't feed him. Please!
    Kind regards, and in the interests of the Northern Sounds forum.
    John.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Re: Be very careful not to feed a troll!

Hello John,

Thank you for this post and I really do agree that folk should not respond to this person in any way.

Following a complaint I contacted Admin with a recommendation and have also contacted each of those valued members of our community who replied. Again, to everyone, please, please do not respond to that person; the ignore button is an excellent option here.

Best wishes.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

This is really too bad. A lot of the posts that responded to the original request were excellent. Many people really wanted to help this guy out. Then he got just plain weird and insulting. He became narcissistic in the worse way. I came close to answering him at the beginning. I'm an accomplished, published composer and arranger and I would have liked to put my two cents worth in the beginning dialogue. Now I'm glad I didn't waste my time. Seems all he wanted was to hear his own voice degrade the fine folks who have supported this forum for so many years. Let's hope we have heard that last of him.

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

This is really too bad. A lot of the posts that responded to the original request were excellent. Many people really wanted to help this guy out. Then he got just plain weird and insulting. He became narcissistic in the worse way. I came close to answering him at the beginning.
    I agree with you, Gary. I almost responded to what looked like a legitimate request for help. When the questions and responses to answers started degrading fellow members here, I am glad I didn't jump into the mix. This is a great group of music composing friends and I certainly have enjoyed and respected all of the opinions expressed through out this forum.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Please, my good friends on this Forum, ignore the postings of this man, Steve614, do not try to answer his "questions", he is trying to have his kind of fun. Soon he will realize we are not the right subject for this foolishness.
    Ted

I apologize for saying something on one of the other threads. I should have kept my mouth shut, knowing saying anything would only antagonize him. It bothers me to see someone come in from nowhere and try to destroy the comradery and friendliness we've all had toward each other. I've been part of this forum since the first edition of GPO. I have learned a lot from all of you. I'm grateful for the friendships I've made here. We've been able to share, not just about our adventures in music, but personal things as well, like my surviving a major cancer scare. These things are important. Friendships are important. Family is important. Our music is important.

There is one positive thing to be said from all of this: it's gotten us all to talking a lot more. I've not seen this forum this active in a long time. Maybe we can get some more positive things going, like having a new music challenge or new walk-throughs on using Garritan libraries or Sonar or Finale? Anything constructive!

In the meantime, I've put him in my "ignore list" so I don't have to read any more of his negative comments.

The best to all my friends here!

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Well said, Gary. The age-related comments are extremely offensive. Whoever this is should be ashamed of himself. But the fact that he makes these kinds of remarks reveals that he has no shame.

In a way, I am sorry that I posted the thread about rejuvenating the forum. I feel somewhat responsible for this person's reprehensible behavior. But as you said, the fact we are talking more is good, and hopefully that can continue.

Yes, saying anything at all feeds a troll and usually elicits ad hominem attacks.
    Completely ignoring the poster tends to have the desired affect.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

I certainly miss the community that this forum once was. It is a shame that people feel the need to attack something that is actually very special and worth preservation. It has been an honor.

Alan:

This small hick-up is actually a good thing, some old members shown up and voiced an opinion, even tried to help this guy. We are used to politeness and honesty, so we simply got fooled by this guy for a short while.
    I think we are still alive, loads of friendships are still made, we still voice our opinion about our published work, we still are happy when we hear success of one of us and sad when someone is not happy, or having problems.
    So, we are still a community worth preserving.
    Since you are a Moderator, we would love to see you participating and helping.
    Thanks for writing and welcome

Ted

Go Back to forum