• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: What are you listeneing to?

Share/Bookmark

What are you listening to?

*waves*

Been a while since I've been around. I've still been checking in every now and then, but haven't posted anything in quite a while. Work has been keeping me tired, and dealing with a bit of depression hasn't helped. Hope everybody is doing well.

Anyhow, given some of the inactivity in the forums, thought I'd maybe try to get something going (somewhat in memory of the old 'Delete This!' thread). So, I'm asking the question, "what are you listening to?" What music do you wish to share, that you've found interesting or enjoyed, that has inspired you, or that you've just put on to relax after a long day, (or heck, even that you disliked)?

So, to start off...

Surprisingly, I only ran into this a couple weeks ago, despite it being some 10 years since it was written, when someone pointed me to a video of it on Youtube. I guess I never played the game (Civilization IV) which it was written as the title theme for...
    Last edited by Silh; 08-06-2015 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Oh man, did I really misspell the title?
    -- Matt Wong

Re: What are you listeneing to?

There are very few things that I will not listen to. Rap is one of them. Pretty much everything else gets at least one listen. I am very intrigued by the creativity that shows up here in the forum. I have a few favorite composers here, but tend to listen to everything that shows up.

Of late I have been experimenting with EW Symphonic Choirs mixed in Finale with Garritan libraries. As a result vocal pieces get my first attention.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Silh View Post
    *waves*

Been a while since I've been around. I've still been checking in every now and then, but haven't posted anything in quite a while. Work has been keeping me tired, and dealing with a bit of depression hasn't helped. Hope everybody is doing well.

Anyhow, given some of the inactivity in the forums, thought I'd maybe try to get something going (somewhat in memory of the old 'Delete This!' thread). So, I'm asking the question, "what are you listening to?" What music do you wish to share, that you've found interesting or enjoyed, that has inspired you, or that you've just put on to relax after a long day, (or heck, even that you disliked)?

So, to start off...

Surprisingly, I only ran into this a couple weeks ago, despite it being some 10 years since it was written, when someone pointed me to a video of it on Youtube. I guess I never played the game (Civilization IV) which it was written as the title theme for...

Re: What are you listening to?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    There are very few things that I will not listen to. Rap is one of them. Pretty much everything else gets at least one listen. I am very intrigued by the creativity that shows up here in the forum. I have a few favorite composers here, but tend to listen to everything that shows up.

Of late I have been experimenting with EW Symphonic Choirs mixed in Finale with Garritan libraries. As a result vocal pieces get my first attention.

Tom
    I remember that! I did listen to your 'Glory and Honor' piece which you had posted, and I apologize for never getting around to commenting on it.

To everybody reading this thread, feel free to post and share whatever song it is of the moment! If it's floating around somewhere on youtube, throw it in your post. Hoping this can might also be a way for people to discover some new music too.

(P.S. I'm sorry about the misspelled title! And apparently, editing my post only changes the title in my first post, but the title of the thread remains unchanged)
    -- Matt Wong

What can an ancient like me listen to?
    You Tube: Mahler 2nd, with Dudamel and the Simon Bolivar Orchestra of Venezuela, playing in London.
    (Anyone can study music in Venezuela, FREE. That orchestra is one of the results of that policy.)
    Brahms Ist Piano Concerto with Emanuel Axxe and B. Haitink. Both of them are just incredible.

Ted.

Looks like that's this one here?

Going to have to put that on, while I do my work tonight...

(Forums don't seem to like more than one video per post).
    -- Matt Wong

(Not quite as frantic as the Julian Gray/Ronald Pearl duet recording, but for a solo guitar interpretation, I still rather like it).
    -- Matt Wong

Thanks for posting this Matt.To a person like me, who realy do not care too much about the guitar, it was a revelation to see what complexity is possible on a guitar. Of course I love Vivaldi's guitar concerto, but somehow that piece does not require the incredibel dexterity this Scarlati piece require.Thanks again to open my ears to this beauty.Ted

I've been developing an interest in electronic music since studying Kraftwerk's music. It's just difficult to find current artist's efforts that I actually enjoy listening to. I've read comments such as "Kraftwerk is the most important music since Beethoven". If not now I think it could become that depending on the future of music or maybe the listening habits of post human intelligence. Regardless Kraftwerk is the godfather of modern electronic music.

The 1982 Bladerunner theme music was mentioned in another thread. The movie's composer Vangelis was no doubt heavily influenced by Metropolis from Kraftwerk's 1979 album "Man-Machine".

Well, very discouraging. Already four attempts to reply to this thread. If this one vanishes before I finish, I will take a nap, have some coffee, and smash this machine (maybe).

I am not focused on any particular music just now. I am planning to study a Kabelevsky Piano Sonata score, beginning on Tuesday.

Later in the month, I will attend a presentation on reed organs. The first organ I played was a reed organ in Alvarado, California, in the Spring of 1949, my last semester of high school. Electric operation, 2 manual + pedal clavier of 2 octaves. I would like to own one now but with a 6' 3" Baldwin grand and an electric piano, plus a flugel horn, this small house would burst if I should add anything without removing something of equal girth. I am considering acquiring an electronic organ, but my tastes are much higher than my budget.

Also next month or so, I may attend the re-dedication of an overhauled and expanded Austin Pipe organ. For about 4 years, I played an Austin organ.

Richard

I hate this Windows 8.1 machine! But it is much to soon to replace it!

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I've been developing an interest in electronic music since studying Kraftwerk's music. It's just difficult to find current artist's efforts that I actually enjoy listening to. I've read comments such as "Kraftwerk is the most important music since Beethoven". If not now I think it could become that depending on the future of music or maybe the listening habits of post human intelligence. Regardless Kraftwerk is the godfather of modern electronic music.
    Electronic music is an interesting subject, and I admit it's something I've shyed away from to some degree. I have a few pieces in my collection, some by Vangelis, but mostly written by friends, but it's not something I've actively sought out. The reason being, I do a decent amount of driving, which most of the time is accompanied by listening to music, and I found electronic music was detrimental to my staying alert during long drives. I don't know if it is the specific sounds used, or the style of the composition. When I'm at my desk, I'm content to pull it out and listen, and there are some neat techniques put into use, but I avoid it when I need to stay awake. This is purely anecdotal of course, but it was something I found rather intriguing.

Now, as to what does keep me alert when driving? Music with counterpoint. I wonder how much of the old recommendations to study while listening to Mozart has to do with how certain compositional styles can affect brain function. I am unfamiliar with the science behind this though, other than some info I ran into while looking at depression recovery, that certain styles of music (such as early classical) will increase brain activity, and that the effect on brain activity (if I remember correctly, blood flow measured with fMRI) was independent of ones emotional response to the music (ie. whether you actually liked the song or not).

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Well, very discouraging. Already four attempts to reply to this thread. If this one vanishes before I finish, I will take a nap, have some coffee, and smash this machine (maybe).

I am not focused on any particular music just now. I am planning to study a Kabelevsky Piano Sonata score, beginning on Tuesday.

Later in the month, I will attend a presentation on reed organs. The first organ I played was a reed organ in Alvarado, California, in the Spring of 1949, my last semester of high school. Electric operation, 2 manual + pedal clavier of 2 octaves. I would like to own one now but with a 6' 3" Baldwin grand and an electric piano, plus a flugel horn, this small house would burst if I should add anything without removing something of equal girth. I am considering acquiring an electronic organ, but my tastes are much higher than my budget.

Also next month or so, I may attend the re-dedication of an overhauled and expanded Austin Pipe organ. For about 4 years, I played an Austin organ.

Richard

I hate this Windows 8.1 machine! But it is much to soon to replace it!
    Don't smash the machine! Looks like it behaved this time at least.

Speaking of organs, I've got an old Gulbransen organ in storage in the basement; belongs to our church, they acquired it during the closure of another church, but don't have a place to put it, though even if they did, I have to wonder how much use it would actually see (I think most people prefer the sound of the piano these days)... some days, I really miss the majestic sound that they provide...
    -- Matt Wong

Go Back to forum