• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sit on my face and tell me that you love me.

Share/Bookmark

Sit on my face and tell me that you love me.

Well that wasn\'t my subject. Just little Monty Python humor . I have bought Gigastudio 160, but I have performance problems. There\'s clipping in polyphony 40-50 and some (or quite many) drop-outs too. I have AMD Athlon 1000 Mhz, 256 Ram, 30Gt HD (7200 RPM), Sblive! Platinium 5.1. I think my specs are quite good so I wonder how can I reduce the drop-outs. Disk load is about 20% and CPU is about the same. So can you give some tips for good polyphony and transition setup or any other advices could be great. How high polyphonys do you have?

Thanks! This site is great and it has given me much, much info. (Sorry about the typos, but what can you expect from finnish guy!)

Re: Sit on my face and tell me that you love me.

Sounds like you don\'t have DMA enabled on your .gig harddrive (check the Gigastudio Readme.txt file).

Perhaps you also need to install the appropriate IDE drivers for your motherboard.

Otherwise, do you have the .gig harddrive plugged into an extra plug-in PCI controller?

Well all those SHOULD be ok. DMA is enabled and all SHOULD be working. I did some optimizing and now performance has risen a bit. Now there\'s drop outs and crackling in 50-60 polyphony. I\'ve set polyphony in 96 and transtition voices in 6. I have tried all kinds of setups but it just gets worse ;(

Ok well, here is a short list of stuff that is guaranteed to cause this type of performance:

a) Not having DMA enabled.

b) Outdated IDE drivers. Sometimes the Win98 standard drivers are better than the chipset drivers, sometimes not.

c) Streaming off a disk connected to a plug-in PCI controller (IDE OR SCSI) which is not in a priority PCI slot.

d) Sharing IRQs, especially when soundcard / harddrive controller shares an IRQ with something else (esp. the video card).

e) Incorrect cabling / jumpering of IDE drives, especially running a GIG drive on a single IDE channel with another drive.

f) Incorrect buffering settings on soundcard driver.

g) Outdated soundcard drivers.

Judging by your initial comments (f) will not apply to you. Your high CPU load suggests (a) or (b).

[This message has been edited by cc (edited 06-27-2001).]

Thanks for your help!

I updated also IDE drivers and now the performance is good. Still I expected to have more than about 90-100 polyphony at my computer. I\'m still however interested how high polyphonys do you have! Just for comparing.
    And one question too. Does my SBlive! reduce polyphony count. Should I buy a new soundcard?

The SB Live should not reduce your polyphony. I always got 64 voices using GigaSampler on a PII 350. The biggest problem with the SB is the low output level which causes a poor signal to noise ratio. Which translates to more noise in your recordings.

tabbu:

I get around 140 voices on an 800MHz PIII, Gigabyte GA6VX7-4X motherboard, SBLive Platinum, Fujitsu 7200 RPM IDE drive, 256MB Ram.

I get full 160 voices on 1GHz PIII, Asus CUSL2-C motherboard, SEK\'D (Mariane) Siena Soundcard, 512MB Ram, IBM Deskstar 7200 RPM IDE drive.

So I would guess there is still something not quite right in your system. Update all drivers to the latest version, also your BIOS (believe it or not it can make a difference), and soundcard drivers - I remember there were some issues with older versions of LiveDrive.

And check your IRQs in Control Panel/System for any shared IRQs; especially the SBLive does NOT like sharing an IRQ, especially not with the Video card!

Wazaaa!!

I\'ve noticed that my soundcard and videocard are sharing the same IRQ (IRQ is 10 if that means anything to you...) How can I solve this problem or is it a problem? I tried to chance my videocards IRQ but my computer wouldn\'t let me :O
    I don\'t have any need for com2 (IRQ 3) so I tryed to chance my Geforce MX in there.

Can some wiser than me send some help?!?

Thanks again...

Go Back to forum