• Register
  • Help

Topic: 2 computers 1 monitor 1 keyboard 1 mouse??

Share/Bookmark

2 computers 1 monitor 1 keyboard 1 mouse??

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    What are you guys using so that you can use 1 monitor 1keyboard and 1 mouse with 2 or more computers???

Ultimately I would like to have 4 pc\'s hooked up to one set.

I know this is a hardware question but the underlying cause is VSL So.. there.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

thanks in advance for the excellent advise always found here!

Re: 2 computers 1 monitor 1 keyboard 1 mouse??

I\'m using a Dr Bott Moniswitch. The only problem is that sometimes when the Macintosh goes to sleep and I\'m looking at the PC monitor, I can\'t wake it up. I\'ve had to do a cold reboot twice because of this.

I doubt this is the switcher\'s fault, just the Mac not recognising a new USB device as a reason to wake up. Has anyone else had this problem? Any way to solve it?

Belkin makes very nice KVM switchers. I\'ve never had any problem with mine.

Hi, I am using Real VNC. It is a freeware remote desktop software program.

I control machine 2 from machine 1 over the network and via this software. I only use one keyboard and mouse.

My Sony monitor has two inputs so I just switch to machine no2 to view it directly. (For example when it is still booting up and not yet on the network.)

Another option I could\'ve followed was to plug a monitor directly into machine no2. This means you would have a permanent view of it, but still take control of it from machine 1.

Hope this makes sense! I like it cause it saved me the expense of a KVM switch box and all of the leads. In theory I can also take control of any machine on my network so I am not limited by a 2 port or 4 port KVM switch.

Hope this helps,

Scott.

While we\'re on this topic:
    I am just about to buy an active 4-1 KVM switch, either a Belkin or a Cybex (Avocent). Anyone here who thinks one of them is seriously better or worse?

TIA,

Peter

No experience with Cybex, but I have two Belkin Omniviews in my studio, a 2-port and a 4-ort, they both work flawlessly. Bought them both used on ebay for under $50 combined!

Dasher

Go Back to forum