• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Nemesys personal still alive?

Share/Bookmark

Nemesys personal still alive?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Has anyone ever checked if there\'s still someone at work at Nemesys, or have they all died? The website hasn\'t changed for ages!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Nemesys personal still alive?

Originally posted by Luigi:
    Has anyone ever checked if there\'s still someone at work at Nemesys, or have they all died? The website hasn\'t changed for ages!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">They are all working very hard on 3.0. There is a LOT going on with the Nemesys technologies at Tascam, more than just the single software product. I spoke with Joe a couple of times last week, and they have gotten some really impressive development resources from Tascam.

On the Tascam forum they say they are about a week away from opening Tascamgiga.com, the new Giga website. Some news will be welcome [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Brian

I see there\'s a lot happening! I\'m looking forward to all the new things that are going to happen!

Yes they are all alive and well and working non stop. Just talked with Jim the other day and he seems to exist. The Tascam folks have put thier resources into the whole new website instead of spending time fixing the existing one. Should be interesting to see when it comes out. Have faith.
    Dave

I recently bought your incredibly good tutorial! It\'s indeed much nicer to have a manual in which you can see everything then a manual in which you can only read.

Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
    So, they appear to be working hard, but are short staffed, and that\'s the reason why GS 3.0 is long in coming.Lee Blaske
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The biggest problem may have been/be that the original software that Tascam bought was not well documented and was designed by the seat-of-the-pant/ad hock method. Just speculation on my part but this approach is typical of small companies who develop SW for consumer markets. Given this, it is very difficult to bring a large team of software engineers into play on such products because all of the architecture and design knowledge is in a few peoples heads rather than documented using some standard notation such as UML. Software is often so very complicated and expansive these days (especially real-time code) that it is usually very difficult to simply look at the code and understand how the system operates and where you can add features and change others. Hence, throwing large numbers of engineers at the problem is often counter productive (see the classic book Mythical Man Month).

After all, if you have ever had a chance to look at some of the earliest MS photos, Bill Gates and company looked like a pretty seat-of-the-pants bunch.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Considering how unstable XP still is, I would think they still are!

Originally posted by midphase:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\"> After all, if you have ever had a chance to look at some of the earliest MS photos, Bill Gates and company looked like a pretty seat-of-the-pants bunch.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Considering how unstable XP still is, I would think they still are! </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s interesting. Ever since I got WinXP, my MAC crashes WAY more often than my PC.

Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
    That\'s an interesting speculation. I wonder, though, even if a company starts out in more of a seat-of-the-pants mode, isn\'t it possible to go back, clean everything up, and then proceed in a more organized manner?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It takes time and money to reverse engineer an existing product into a set of coherent design documents, but yes it is possible. I guess my primary point here is that just because we haven\'t seen 3.0 doesn\'t mean Tascam isn\'t taking it seriously nor does is mean they are not applying the necessary resources for its success. Developing real-time software systems (part of GSt is real-time) is always time consuming, difficult to schedule and often, slow to debug (especially timing related defects). That\'s life in the world of highly customized software development. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Actually [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] since it keeps me well employed.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast