• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Question for current or previous 'Hardware' Sampler owners (EMU E4XT etc.)

Share/Bookmark

Question for current or previous \'Hardware\' Sampler owners (EMU E4XT etc.)

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I\'m just now getting in to giga (Yeah I\'m a little late [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ), I\'m in the process of purchasing \"1\" fairly powerful giga setup.....

My question is:

I\'m contemplating selling my EMU E4XT Ultra to buy a second system to run giga on. Should I? What would you advise?

Thanks!

BTW... Do I need to buy 1 giga 160 software package \"per instance\" ?

Thanks #2!

Re: Question for current or previous \'Hardware\' Sampler owners (EMU E4XT etc.)

I kept hold of one of my Emu E4XT Ultras when I got my Giga set up. I had too many Emu Banks on disk to convert to Giga for one thing. I\'ve not had much success converting Emu libraries to Giga format so if you have Emu sounds you may want to use in future I\'d keep hold your E4XT. Even if the above doesn\'t apply to you, the second hand value of hardware samplers is at an all time low, at least it is here in the UK. You might not make enough to make selling it worthwhile.

You don\'t have to buy two full version of Giga 160. Tascam will sell you a second site license at a greatly reduced price.

Re: Question for current or previous \'Hardware\' Sampler owners (EMU E4XT etc.)

I still use my 2 Roland S760\'s along with my Gigastudio and EXS-24 in Logic on my Mac. They still sound good, and using them keeps my other soft samplers free to play other sound libs, plus it frees my hard drive(s) from having to store converted Roland samples.

I\'m having the same problem as Sharmy.

I\'m thinking about listing mine as book ends with 128 megs of RAM.
    Might have better luck selling them that way.
    [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Thanks for the in-put, guys!

I\'m gonna paint mine platinum, bling bling! Gold is so 90\'s.... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

BTW, there\'s an E4XT on e-bay right now that\'s at $1025. Looking at the \"completed items\" it shows that in the last month some have gone for $900 to $1300.

So my question is, should I get rid of it now (most of my libs are AKAI)? Could I get a \'decent\' giga for that price, around $900.

My next question would be; Is this an \"OK\" set up?1st giga $2500 + 2nd giga $900..... That would be the most I could afford right now, still gotta figure out a way to pay for VSL (and I guess QLSO later). [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thoughts?

Thanks guys!

I\'d say keep\'em.

I think it\'s a great combo, to have Giga for the really huge meat and potatoe strings/horns/drums n\' stuff, and then use the Emu for what it does best: filters, weird modulations, and throwing together your own noises.

As good as software samplers are, I still haven\'t found anything to rival the immediacy and programmability of my E6400... Mind you, the new MOTU Mach5 looks verrry tempting.

Just my 2 cents (which is enough to by an Akai S1000 these days I think)

oops. Sorry, I meant \"meat and POTATO\". No E.

Bit of Dan Quail-itis jumped up and bit me...

[img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I don\'t think you need to pay anywhere near $2500 for a good giga system. I just build an Athlon 2100 with 512mb, 80 gb, and a M-Audio 2496 card for about $550. It gets 160 voices no problem. In fact, I\'d venture to say it\'s better to have 2 or 3 cheaper Giga PC\'s than one super expensive one.

Quayle [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I still have a 760 with a large library, and it\'s always a pain to go back to - I have to watch how much memory I\'ve used, the polyphony maxes out quickly, and the library uis spread across a whole bunch of smallish MO disks which means it\'s often a hassle to find stuff etc.,

I\'d say convert your Emu banks and get more Giga. It\'s just so nice not having to consider the hardware issues. CDxtract and Translator have done a pretty good job of conversion for me, and any screw ups are pretty easy to sort.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast