• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Lament

Share/Bookmark

Lament

When their youngest member is found dead by suicide, they lament on not having realized his pain.

We did not know, we did not know
    We did not understand.
    He was so alone, so afraid of death
    What have we done? What have we done?
    Oh, God
    We did not hear, we did not hear
    We did not listen
    Is thee no hope, no hope for us?
    Forgive us. Forgive us. Forgive us.

https://app.box.com/s/ayayhzbhagi57ilvz7qox1zhqeph8rp1

Re: Lament

Sounds like you're coming along nicely with the choir there.

Words to remember, though...
    -- Matt Wong

Quote Originally Posted by Silh View Post
    Sounds like you're coming along nicely with the choir there.

Words to remember, though...
    Thank you for listening. The fun part about working with this director is that he tells me where he wants a piece of music and the feeling he wants it to evoke. I get to write the words as well as the music. How rare is that?

Working with the EW Symphonic Choirs has been an adventure. To anyone that wants to try it, I can only advise that they throw away the included alphabets - start from scratch and create one syllable at a time. Of course you have to make copious notes.

Tom

Hi Tom,How sad the text content may be, you added in the choir setting a valuable surplus: expression of (your) emotion. The not so 'usual' harmony fits wonderfully well, together with the chromatic descent (which I find genial). It reminds me of Mozart's Requiem (he uses the chromatic climb towards heaven). The sadness of the event becomes audible and tangible. Fantastic. And I like your text handling too. I think the choir will have cold shivers when singing it.

Thanks for sharing.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Tom,How sad the text content may be, you added in the choir setting a valuable surplus: expression of (your) emotion. The not so 'usual' harmony fits wonderfully well, together with the chromatic descent (which I find genial). It reminds me of Mozart's Requiem (he uses the chromatic climb towards heaven). The sadness of the event becomes audible and tangible. Fantastic. And I like your text handling too. I think the choir will have cold shivers when singing it.

Thanks for sharing.

Max
    Thank you, max. I find that as I get older I get more brave as to what harmonies I will use. I haven't used chromatic melodies since writing "Entropy" in 1965. The implied harmonies of a strong chromatic line always scared me a little.

We have done one run through. It seems I have pleased the tenors the most.

The director sat for a moment then tossed his head back and said, "Fine. Now I have to rewrite the second act opening." I asked if he wanted me to change the music. He said, "No."

Tom

Congratulation Tom.
    Your Lament should touch anyone with feeling for music.
    When you hear a piece like this, there is not much one can say. Great.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Congratulation Tom.
    Your Lament should touch anyone with feeling for music.
    When you hear a piece like this, there is not much one can say. Great.

Ted
    Thank you for listening, Ted. It goes to show that if someone tries often enough he's bound to get it right once in awhile.

Tom

Very beautiful, Tom. I love choral music, but have never written any. It must indeed be difficult to work with synthetic voices. I have enough trouble with instruments. Maybe someday, I'm still young at 63...

Hang in there, Michael. I'm even younger at 72.

I am very grateful that you enjoyed it. That, after all, is why we spend so much time with all the little black dots.

Musically choral samples are no more difficult than instrumental samples except that you have to learn how to enter the unusual spellings to get them to sound close enough to human language. Things like T! for th and God spelled gAd - but after you get the hang of it, it's not at all daunting. With EW Symphonic Choirs I highly recommend using Votox entry rather then English or phonetics. I definitely find easier to use Latin rather than English vowels.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    Very beautiful, Tom. I love choral music, but have never written any. It must indeed be difficult to work with synthetic voices. I have enough trouble with instruments. Maybe someday, I'm still young at 63...

Wow. That's amazing. I love your harmonies. They work very well.

Nice to hear the EW choir as well - I have pondered getting that one day when I'm rich!

Thanks for posting
    Owen
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast