• Register
  • Help

Topic: Acoustic piano advice

Acoustic piano advice

sponsored links

I\'m looking to buy a new acoustic upright. I want the best available - any recommendations people? I honestly don\'t know where to start. Yamaha U5?

Re: Acoustic piano advice

for what purpose (other than playing [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) do you intend to use it? What sound do you like (hard, soft, big etc.)?
    How big (in measurements) can you have?

If oyou can find a newer Steinway upright, all the ones I\'ve played sounded greast (if well maintained...)

Others include Yamaha, I\'ve playd a nice-sounding Kawai, perhaps Boston (Steinway) or Baldwin/ Acrosonic...

Mainly use your ears and thwen bring in a decent piano tech for a professional opinion about the condition and value (watch out, though, some of them are VERY opinionated, and the true answer may be colored by this.

My favourite pianists include Keith Jarrett, Michel Petrucciani, David Newton & David Benoit. The quality I\'m looking for is bright but rich with a bell-like ringing tone. I believe that the Steinway Model B or Yamaha C6 pianos have this kind of tone, but I\'m restricted to an upraight due to space. I can however, accomodate the largest upright quite easily. I\'m a jazz pianist that enjoys audiophile quality (not found in most jazz recordings) and studied to Grade 8 ASBRSM. My chops \'aint what they used to be due to the fact that I\'ve been playing a digital for the last 10 years. I\'m staring to play live again and I\'ve found that I\'ve lost all the strength and speed from my fingers! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum